spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Welshdog

join:2011-01-30
Austin, TX

[TW] Old Ambit U10C004 modem - any good?

I've had an Earthlink account for many, many years. Around 7 years ago I got Earthlink broadband (through Time Warner/RR in Austin Texas.) The modem is an Ambit/Ubee U10C004. I have never really had any serious trouble with it, but I can't help but wonder if a newer modem would perform better.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

thomasr

join:2010-01-21
Winston Salem, NC
kudos:1
said by Welshdog:

I've had an Earthlink account for many, many years. Around 7 years ago I got Earthlink broadband (through Time Warner/RR in Austin Texas.) The modem is an Ambit/Ubee U10C004. I have never really had any serious trouble with it, but I can't help but wonder if a newer modem would perform better.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Phillip Dampier spoke of swapping one... I am unsure of the model, he did not mention. He just indicated - ancient

I'm sure yours may qualify for a swap

It's on his article on Stop the Cap, he made a reply to a comment, his posting is the fourth (4th) down. February 1, 2011 at 11:52 am:

»stopthecap.com/2011/01/31/when-p···instead/

Also, the modem is almost two years older than Docsis 3.0 standards. That may or may not be bad depending on if your area has rolled out Docsis 3.0 and how the firmware upgrades are truly working. I'm sure its been updated a time or two to fix issues.

If better also means that you would be willing to pay a little more (depending on your pricing situation), see if your area has rolled out 15, 30 or 50mbps connections. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to change over to Road Runner -- EarthLink offers 15mbps in areas that are capable.