Search similar:

uniqs
borka
join:2003-04-01
Ponte Vedra, FL

1 recommendation

borka

I device talking to apple

Its probably the data thats being generated from the Iphone/iPad talking back to apple, and sending usage statistics and what not.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Or in other words, the consumer is paying to allow Apple and/or AT&T to spy and ultimately make money of them.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to borka

Premium Member

to borka
said by borka:

Its probably the data that's being generated from the Iphone/iPad talking back to apple, and sending usage statistics and what not.

They did NOT turn the phone off.
quote:
disabled all push notifications and location services, confirmed that no email account was configured on the phone, closed all applications, and let the phone sit untouched for 10 days.
I am sure that the phone, as long as it is powered on, is communicating to something. Either Apple or AT&T concerning status, automatic backup of contact lists, or something else.

I wonder what their data usage would have been if they just powered off the phone or iPad completely and not just sitting in standby mode where it can still communicate?
MRCUR
join:2007-03-09
Lancaster, PA

MRCUR

AT&T has stated in the past that data used while phones report data usage and other billing related items back to AT&T is NOT charged. Granted I'm not sure anyone has tested if this is true, but that's what AT&T claims.

Apple on the other hand definitely collects data which would be billed as normal data usage.
AlfredNewman6
join:2010-03-25
Columbus, OH

AlfredNewman6 to FFH5

to FFH5
But thats not the point of this exercise. It's showing that with the AT&Ts traffic of talking to the device uses up more than the monthly alloted size limit. Once again showing that their version of "enough" isn't nearly enough for a grandmother checking her email or the habitual Youtube user.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by AlfredNewman6:

But thats not the point of this exercise. It's showing that with the AT&Ts traffic of talking to the device uses up more than the monthly alloted size limit. Once again showing that their version of "enough" isn't nearly enough for a grandmother checking her email or the habitual Youtube user.

In 10 days, only about 2.5MBs of data were used. In a month, this would only be 3-4% of the 200MB plan, and these usage statistics are not about stealing personal data, they really do provide information that helps improve the devices and the services.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Let at&t and apple pay for them. This was one of the dangers of per-byte billing we all have been talking about.