uniqs
jsb825
Premium Member
join:2003-10-08
Exeter, NH

jsb825

Premium Member

I can see this

When the phone goes to standby, it stops using the wi-fi and starts using the 3G. I know this because I watched the packets stop flowing on the wi-fi network, but I was still getting e-mail notifications. My mother doesn't use her phone for any data, but she has strangely used 7 mbs so far this month. I never used more than 5 mb when I had a blackberry and I got loads of e-mail messages. So Apple explain yourself!! Please!

Steve B
Premium Member
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

Steve B

Premium Member

said by jsb825:

When the phone goes to standby, it stops using the wi-fi and starts using the 3G. I know this because I watched the packets stop flowing on the wi-fi network, but I was still getting e-mail notifications. My mother doesn't use her phone for any data, but she has strangely used 7 mbs so far this month. I never used more than 5 mb when I had a blackberry and I got loads of e-mail messages. So Apple explain yourself!! Please!

What confuses me is I thought that using Wi-Fi is supposed to help increase your battery life when 3G is the real battery drainer. So if that is right, then why would they design it to disable Wi-Fi when the phone is "asleep"?
MRCUR
join:2007-03-09
Lancaster, PA

MRCUR

In the long run, WiFi will use more power. 3G is more power hungry when you're pounding data and moving around (jumping towers). Just checking emails isn't very data intensive and as such it's not a bad thing for 3G to be used.

With iOS 4.2, persistent WiFi was added. If cell data is not available, the WiFi should stay connected.

Steve B
Premium Member
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA

Steve B

Premium Member

said by MRCUR:

In the long run, WiFi will use more power. 3G is more power hungry when you're pounding data and moving around (jumping towers). Just checking emails isn't very data intensive and as such it's not a bad thing for 3G to be used.

With iOS 4.2, persistent WiFi was added. If cell data is not available, the WiFi should stay connected.

Oh, ok. I guess that would make sense then. As for the phantom data issue being reported by this lawsuit, AT&T has to at least explain themselves. I can definitely understand the concern of customers about this when there are data caps involved and potential overage charges.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to jsb825

Premium Member

to jsb825
But Karl is also saying when the phone is turned off. I can understand background programs. When the phone is off seems not right. Incoming traffic, maybe. That should be dropped once the device releases its IP address. Possible network misconfiguration?
cghh
join:2001-01-15
Milpitas, CA

cghh to jsb825

to jsb825
said by jsb825:

I never used more than 5 mb when I had a blackberry and I got loads of e-mail messages. So Apple explain yourself!! Please!

With Blackberry, checks for new e-mail are done by the BIS or BES server, and only when there is something new in the mailbox is the phone notified. While this push behavior is done with certain e-mail providers on certain platforms (like gmail on Android phones), with Blackberries it applies to any e-mail source you use. Along with data compression, this is one of the main selling points for Blackberry.