how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
vag16v

join:2001-07-27
hereandthere

turning off 3G

In terms of just turning off 3G, as soon as I do that on my iPhone4 the phone drops right off the mobile network completely. That doesn't seem right. Do these iPhones not fall back to gprs or just non-3G data or are they hspa only and thats it?

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Re: turning off 3G

said by vag16v:

In terms of just turning off 3G, as soon as I do that on my iPhone4 the phone drops right off the mobile network completely. That doesn't seem right. Do these iPhones not fall back to gprs or just non-3G data or are they hspa only and thats it?

Are you using a micro cell or a regular macro cell?

On a micro cell you can only use 3G. However on a macro cell you can fall back to EDGE or GPRS.
vag16v

join:2001-07-27
hereandthere

I bet we have just only a 3G network here. Our local telco is now in bed with Rogers in this city and took over all of Rogers customers here.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by vag16v:

I bet we have just only a 3G network here. Our local telco is now in bed with Rogers in this city and took over all of Rogers customers here.

Oh you live in Canada... didn't realize that.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
I'm with Bell and have a Samsung Galaxy S, their network is essentially '3G only' because the phone can't fall back onto their old CDMA network.

Anyways on the SGS (and other android phones I believe) I can turn off data but leave it connected to the network for SMS and calls. Saves some battery life, and there are programs that can be a bit smarter and turn the data off when the screen is off but then turn it on every so often (ie. 1 min per 15 min) to check e-mails and other notifications. Pretty handy if you don't really need up-to-the-minute e-mail/facebook/whatever and would rather see the battery have an easier time lasting a few days.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by vag16v:

I suppose EDGE doesn't have overages?
--
My Blog 2.2
flbas1

join:2010-02-03
Fort Lauderdale, FL

neither does 56k
NuShrike

join:2010-09-01

neither does 9600 nor 14.4k bps.