uniqs
share rss forum feed

skuv

@rr.com
reply to moonpuppy

Re: How?

said by moonpuppy:

said by IPPlanMan:

How is it possible to have phantom traffic?

At what level does the screwup occur?

By design.

As a poster said later, the phone reverts to using 3G service when in standby mode. This could be nothing more than the phone acknowledging where it is and making sure all updates have been downloaded (like service packs on Window PCs.)

And AT&T shouldn't be charging anyone for data that they request for "acknowledging where it is."

And updates for phones don't happen often enough for the phone to need to constantly check for updates. iPhoneOS and Android updates are few and far between.

innoman
-
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
Actually... they happen almost constantly... as least it would appear that way if a human is looking at the log files (I have done a great deal of this on many devices). There are measurement reports, location/routing area updates, paging requests, handover requests, cell reselection, acknowledgments for everything, etc... A device has to talk to the network often or it won't know where to send the page requests if someone calls it. In UMTS, coverage for each cell site grows and shrinks (it's referred to as cell breathing I believe) based on the number of users, network conditions, etc... to prevent interference, saturation, etc.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by innoman:

Actually... they happen almost constantly... as least it would appear that way if a human is looking at the log files (I have done a great deal of this on many devices). There are measurement reports, location/routing area updates, paging requests, handover requests, cell reselection, acknowledgments for everything, etc... A device has to talk to the network often or it won't know where to send the page requests if someone calls it. In UMTS, coverage for each cell site grows and shrinks (it's referred to as cell breathing I believe) based on the number of users, network conditions, etc... to prevent interference, saturation, etc.

But should all those "behind the scenes" data transactions be counted towards a users' data bucket? No. This stuff happened long before there was 3G data and nobody was charged for it.
--
My Blog 2.2

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to skuv
said by skuv :

And updates for phones don't happen often enough for the phone to need to constantly check for updates. iPhoneOS and Android updates are few and far between.

iOS updates are actually done from iTunes which gets the software update over your computer's broadband connection, not over 3G.

innoman
-
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to Gbcue
They should not, nor are they.

Those types of communications between the device and the network take places on different logical (and in some cases, physical) channels. There are a number of logical and physical channels that are established between the device and network.

They can't be counted towards the users consumed data. Who know's what AT&T is doing in the instances that they are billing for data not consumed...