spc
uniqs

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to innoman

to innoman

Re: More Proof that All Data Plans with Overages Are Bad

I agree that the 2GB limit is pretty low, but if you're streaming constantly just to spite AT&T you're going to go well over 2GB.

The point isn't the amount, it's the intent.

There has to be a balance between artificially low caps and users being allowed unconditional unlimited access. Neither really works out well.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

There is. A higher cap that allows reasonable use. Probably somewhere around the 10gb range. And only throttle after that, so small amounts of data like basic web surfing, text chats, information updates, etc. work just fine.

The only reason they set the cap at 2gbs, is because they are setting it low enough so the average user will probably be paying another 20-30 bucks a month in data overage charges. And children will run up 100+ dollars in extra charges. It is designed to replace the text messaging bill shock from the last decade.

Also they could demand phone manufacturers to have better data controls in the phone settings.

A user should easily be able to set certain apps and services to be restricted to wifi only.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

You could make it 10GB or 100GB, people will still cry that it's not unlimited, like the Comcast 250GB cap is cried about today.
innoman
-
Premium Member
join:2002-05-07
Seattle, WA

innoman to insomniac84

Premium Member

to insomniac84
I can agree with that. Once newer technologies are out that are capable of more, then I think the caps should increase or go away.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

There has to be a balance between artificially low caps and users being allowed unconditional unlimited access. Neither really works out well.

I don't understand why nobody has done a "nights and weekends" thing for data. It seemed to work well enough for voice calls back in the days when capacity for them was actually an issue. Why should AT&T or Verizon care if you are pegging the tower at 4am when hardly anybody else is using it?

This seems like something they could give away that would cost them next to nothing and earn a little bit of goodwill in response.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

I agree that the 2GB limit is pretty low, but if you're streaming constantly just to spite AT&T you're going to go well over 2GB.

Constantly? If you stream anything at all even just 1-2 movies chances are you will go over if you remotely use your phone for other means like email, apps, etc...

I agree with your overall point but I think the true answer is that a suitable cap should be one that is high enough for todays users to not hit even if they stream some movies or do other activities on it.

With the speed increasing & more companies putting apps out there, that "suitable" number is probably considerably higher than some seem to think

I consider myself to be an "average" user as I don't stream movies, BARELY stream music (as in, maybe 5 minutes total every 2-3 weeks if that), and just news apps/email primarily.
MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium Member
join:2003-01-02
Columbia, SC

MrHappy316 to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks
I agree, what happened to the old days you could use your minutes for either data or voice when data worked as a modem more than an on all the time connection.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

You could make it 10GB or 100GB, people will still cry that it's not unlimited, like the Comcast 250GB cap is cried about today.

I wouldn't. 10GB or 100GB is a ton better than the crappy 2GB they give you. I wouldn't have switched if their data plan wasn't absolute crap.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84 to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

People will cry, but much less. 2gb is designed so normal use can go over it. It is a price gouging technique.

If they really have network issues, they should set a cap and just throttle after that.

The comcast 250gb cap is barely cried about because very few breach it.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
If they made it 100gb, nobody would be crying with iPhones/iPads except those watching HD movies on Netflix nightly or near 24/7 OR those teethering...so no, few if any would be crying

Your exaggeration there failed miserably considering people cry about 2gb...and you went to 100gb as if 99.99999% of those crying about the 2gb would have any sort of remote problem with 100gb

Now, as for the Comcast Cap, I have seen generally positive reaction here from it. Now, everyone? Of course not. But the majority including myself ALL THE WHILE I hate caps in general.

So, no...crying would not be occuring at all with large caps....which is what we thought we would get when caps were put in place....then we were told we had 2gbs