share rss forum feed

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to Crookshanks

Re: More Proof that All Data Plans with Overages Are Bad

said by Crookshanks:

It's not just a matter of cost you know. The bandwidth on that tower is shared by every other user on that tower. EV-DO provides a maximum of 3mbit/s per channel. That bandwidth is shared by every single data user on that tower and channel. Do the math on that, it's not a lot of bandwidth. In reality it's probably less than 3mbit/s because that data rate is only achieved under very good RF conditions which may not exist for most users.

times how many channels? Also, what kind of backhaul are they using? I'm sure 3mbps * 300 1.25MHz channels (375MHz of Spectrum) = 900mbps.. Plus a GbE fiber backhaul and you could easily handle a decent number of users.
said by Crookshanks:

Do you also leave your faucets wide open just to spite the water company?

Depending on where you live. Some places if you don't leave it trickle at night, you could end up with blown pipes due to them freezing.
--
Bresnan 18M/1M
MyWS[E5200@3.75GHz,4GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2GHz,2GB RAM,120GB HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1GHz,512MB RAM,18GB HDD,SMC 8432BTA,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,Intel Pro/1000MT,IBM Gigabit Ethernet-SX,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,Gentoo Linux]

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

2 recommendations

said by Simba7:

I'm sure 3mbps * 300 1.25MHz channels (375MHz of Spectrum) = 900mbps.. Plus a GbE fiber backhaul and you could easily handle a decent number of users.

Which cellular company are you doing business with that has 375MHZ of spectrum in a market and the ability to devote ALL of that to data services?

said by Simba7:

Depending on where you live. Some places if you don't leave it trickle at night, you could end up with blown pipes due to them freezing.

Umm yeah, I live in Upstate New York. If your pipes freeze you have an insulation problem. My pipes are just fine down to -15 without leaving the tap on.