join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric
reply to bartolo5

Re: end terrestrial TV broadcasts

said by bartolo5:

I am not really against OTA TV and broadcasting in general.
It just seems like an archaic way to broadcast information specially when it's using highly precious UHF spectrum

Archaic how? Whether or not cellular data or terrestrial DTV, digital info is carried on an analog rf signal and there is no such thing as a digital antenna. The only thing modern is WHAT is carried on the analog carrier not HOW.

As far as really being against OTA TV, you came across as hostile toward it and at the same time prioritized mobile broadband as to what is most important. Have you developed a symbiotic relationship to mobile devices to where you cannot function if it is surgically removed from you?

bartolo5

join:2001-12-03
San Carlos, CA

Archaic how?

Archaic because it seems funky that multiple hundreds of megahertz are only available to some corporations that were able to pay their respective licenses to broadcast their chosen content unidirectionally. In the age of freedom of information is anti-climatic to have such a setup.

As far as really being against OTA TV, you came across as hostile toward it and at the same time prioritized mobile broadband as to what is most important. Have you developed a symbiotic relationship to mobile devices to where you cannot function if it is surgically removed from you?

Your abrasive tone is not welcome.

I did use the term 'mobile broadband' but 'wireless packet switched' network would have been more appropriate, either mobile or stationary. And yes, I totally feel like over the air broadcast TV is a thing of the past, and we should be putting more effort in getting decent, fast, pervasive, cheap wireless data networks that can in turn run a classic broadcasting model on top of them and that can allow people to create their own broadcasting media outlets easier than what it is today.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
... never mind.