share rss forum feed

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to JeffroAtl

Re: February 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax speeds

I have no idea how this would work, but the bottom line is that the reason why Sprint Tech Support can screw us over so easily, and why problems can now remain unrepaired and unfixed for weeks or months at a time, is because every single customer/subscriber report is squeezed through this tiny nozzle of a single isolated person talking to a single isolated Tech Support representative.

I propose that what has to happen is that folks in geographical areas band together and call from a single phone to Sprint Tech Support.

If Tech Support is forced to deal UP FRONT with two or three or four people AT ONCE, then it becomes a lot harder for them to force you to do their meaningless uninstall/reinstall, reboot/restart, slowwalk.

Now how one would coordinate folks in a single geographical area with similar problems getting together to make ONE PHONE CALL where they would ALL identify themselves to ONE Sprint Tech Support rep I have no idea. There may be social networking gurus on this forum who would have ideas along those lines.

But it seems to me that's what has to happen now. Clearly the current model of Sprint Tech Support is NOT WORKING.

mojo1

join:2006-12-05
Atlanta, GA
reply to JeffroAtl
said by JeffroAtl :

I'm actually in the Peachtree Hills area as well. Is there a way to rechannel the modem to another tower that IS functioning? I've done all the troubleshooting you can do including replacing the broadband card, uninstalling / reinstalling Smartview, moving my laptop all over the house, calling a technician, doing ##RPR#, and having them ping my card, and nothing has worked. This wouldn't concern me so much if this wern't my primary source of internet (home office). I'll try calling Sprint again and see what they can do, but not confident at this point they can help.

Again, I've had service for 6 months, made no changes to my computer, stayed in the same exact location, replaced my broadband card, I've done everything I can do on my end, and am left with the deduction that it's a network issue...so furstrating.

Sounds like it is our tower that is the problem. Maybe you are the one hogging all my bandwidth... Since Sprint opened a ticket for me to take my phone to the store, I may run by there today and talk to someone in person. Maybe they can understand. The store at Lenox has been great to me in the past so I'll give them a shot.

JeffroAtl

@spcsdns.net
Atlanta, GA 30305

Ok... it's official, per some of the suggestions on this blog, and after a week of not getting 4G service, replacing my broadband card, uninstalling / reinstalling Sprint Smartview, having talked to An "Elevated Technician" who was going to open a "trouble ticket" on my problem, after not hearing back from them after 72 hours as promised (surprise) I've taken someone's advice and given it one more shot.

I called Sprint tech support, went through their robotic ##RPPR#, and then suggested they deactivate and then reactivate my card as per this blog, AND... NOTHING. I can still not connect to Sprint 4G, I am (and have been for a week) stuck in "Obtaining IP Address" without access to the 4G network.

At this point after spending about 25 hours finding a solution, and exploring every possible avenue... I HAVE TO DEDUCE THAT THIS IS A MAJOR NETWORK PROBLEM. I have not changed anything on my computer, my computer is in the same place is has been in for the past 6 months (while working on 4G)... and now it simply doesn't. I work from home and my computer is my livelihood.

I signed up to this for unlimited Sprint 4G connection, knowing that the coverage would be, as others say, and in reality, splotchy. But I am working from a home computer, and did not ever think that coverage would just suddenly end.

Sprint 4G Boradband is crap, the customer service is crap, and I would caution anyone out there considering buying it. I bought and paid for 4G service, and I am no longer getting it...PERIOD. And now Sprint is going to charge me $200 to terminate service when its THEIR crappy network that doesn't work... UNREAL!

I strongly suggest that this get organized somehow via social network so that Sprint can no longer screw over trusting customers like ourselves.

I have had an EXTREMEY negative experience with Sprint Broadband Wireless 4G card. This blog on the other hand, has been GREAT, and I want to thank everyone who has participate in trying to help me out. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, Sprint is selling a bill of goods, and I don't forsee a very bright future for the company with this kind of service.

JeffroAtl

@spcsdns.net
reply to mojo1
Atlanta, GA 30305

Ok... it's official, per some of the suggestions on this blog, and after a week of not getting 4G service, replacing my broadband card, uninstalling / reinstalling Sprint Smartview, having talked to An "Elevated Technician" who was going to open a "trouble ticket" on my problem, after not hearing back from them after 72 hours as promised (surprise) I've taken someone's advice and given it one more shot.

I called Sprint tech support, went through their robotic ##RPPR# BS, and then suggested they deactivate and then reactivate my card as per this blog, AND... NOTHING. I can still not connect to Sprint 4G, I am (and have been for a week) stuck in "Obtaining IP Address" without access to the 4G network.

At this point after spending about 25 hours finding a solution, and exploring every possible avenue... I HAVE TO DEDUCE THAT THIS IS A MAJOR NETWORK PROBLEM. I have not changed anything on my computer, my computer is in the same place is has been in for the past 6 months (while working on 4G)... and now it simply doesn't. I work from home and my computer is my livelihood.

I signed up to this for unlimited Sprint 4G connection, knowing that the coverage would be, as others say, and in reality, splotchy. But I am working from a home computer, and did not ever think that coverage would just suddenly end.

Sprint 4G Boradband is crap, the customer service is crap, and I would caution anyone out there considering buying it. I bought and paid for 4G service, and I am no longer getting it...PERIOD. And now Sprint is going to charge me $200 to terminate service when its THEIR crappy network that doesn't work... UNREAL!

I strongly suggest that this get organized somehow via social network so that Sprint can no longer screw over trusting customers like ourselves.

I am not a negative person, however I have had an EXTREMEY negative experience with Sprint Broadband Wireless 4G card. This blog on the other hand has been GREAT, and I want to thank everyone who has participate in trying to help me out. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, Sprint is selling a bill of goods, and I don't forsee a very bright future for the company with this kind of service.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to JeffroAtl
One other thing to keep in mind.

A large part of the problems which a lot of us have experienced has to do with constantly being connected to a screwed-up tower. If we had the ability to manually say "No; I don't want that tower; I want this tower," I have a feeling a lot of these problems would be solved more quickly.

I am indebted to user w0g for suggesting that folks need to get comfortable with adjusting their HA.

HA? What is that??

w0g pointed me toward an explanation, posted at »www.evdoforums.com/thread2001.html .

I strongly suggest that those in this thread who are experiencing persistent 4G problems take a look at that thread. It may hold the key to a solution.

As always, good luck, and please let us know how you make out.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
All the HomeAgent defines is the tunnel concentrator that you connect to for egress access to the Internet. Changing the HA setting will have absolutely no effect on signal levels or local tower congestion; what it can improve is latency by preventing your traffic to have to cross the country to reach the Internet.

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to criggs

3 bars (RSSI=-74), 4G seems to be steady about this speed at my house. It is within spec. Not sure why others get 2x or 3x this speed, and my tower is so slow.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
To tell you the truth, I would take that. Who knows why yours is somewhat slower than others? Since the only promise Sprint has implied is 3 mbps down/.5 mbps up, you're basically getting what you're paying for, as you've pointed out yourself.

I've been getting a very steady 6 to 9 mbps down since I got this, and yet even I've also experienced an hour here or there with speeds between 3 and 4 mbps. While I know some may strongly disagree, my suspicion is that this is Sprint's rather mild version of network management which, if so, is a damn sight better than Clear's.

Just to keep this thread on track, here's what I'm getting at the moment:

HSDays

join:2007-11-26
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to criggs
Good speeds today on the Overdrive in Cleveland

mojo1

Atlanta, GA
reply to criggs
Finally connected to 4G at home again. Speeds aren't what they were, but it is usable.

criggs

New York, NY
And at least it's in spec.

mojo1

Atlanta, GA
reply to mojo1
Spoke too soon. Lost internet about 10 minutes later. Back to 3G for now...

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL
reply to criggs

Dial-up. Hurrah.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
Oof. That's just about the worst I've ever seen from Sprint 4G, I think. That almost looks like 3G speeds; pretty sick.

Just to keep this thread on track, here's what I'm getting today.

criggs

New York, NY
My speed today:

criggs

New York, NY
My speed today:

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA
reply to criggs

Best ever, I believe, from my Overdrive.

criggs

New York, NY
Here's my speed today:

arjj

join:2007-02-06
Newton Center, MA
reply to criggs
The speeds that you post make me turn green with envy. If I get speeds like that, it is only at 4am on Sunday morning.

I'm curious why your speeds are sooooo much faster than mine. Would you be willing to post your modem performance? I think that the relevant figures are RSSI and CINR. I read mine from the admin panel of the modem.

In general, my RSSI reads -70 dBm and CINR between 11- 17 dB.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by arjj:

The speeds that you post make me turn green with envy.

Oh, I don't know. If, after making your rotation adjustments and experimenting with tin foil shielding to increase your CINR, you managed to both increase CINR and go from a download speed of 2.55 to a download speed of 6.49 (as you reported at »Re: February 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax speeds ), I'd say your connection is pretty much in spec now. Unless you started experiencing problems again after that report, which was from the 5th.

said by arjj:

Would you be willing to post your modem performance? I think that the relevant figures are RSSI and CINR. I read mine from the admin panel of the modem.

Sure, no problem. My RSSI is right on the hairy edge between 3 and 4 bars, and the dbm reading averages between -64 and -67. My CINR fluctuates between 18 and 19.

Incidentally, just for grins, I started experimenting with putting my hand in various spots around the modem, and, BOY, did it make a difference to my readings. I was able to degrade the RSSI down to -69 and I was able to increase the CINR to 21. Very interesting.

There's another stat which also seems to fluctuate regularly, and which I was also able to affect by playing with my hand positions, and that is the TX Power stat. When left alone it fluctuates between -3 and -5. With my hand jumping around I managed to bring it down to -7. Anyone know what that stat is for?

HSDays

join:2007-11-26
Reynoldsburg, OH
Tx is Transmit, what is being sent upstream from your modem. If it goes to 0 that means it's not transmitting.

I moved my overdrive to a spot on top of my fridge and now it stays connected to 4G without any problems. I used to have it outside of a window about 15 feet away and it would constantly disconnect and reconnect.

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL
reply to criggs
said by criggs:

Incidentally, just for grins, I started experimenting with putting my hand in various spots around the modem, and, BOY, did it make a difference to my readings.

There's another stat which also seems to fluctuate regularly, and which I was also able to affect by playing with my hand positions, and that is the TX Power stat. When left alone it fluctuates between -3 and -5. With my hand jumping around I managed to bring it down to -7. Anyone know what that stat is for?

What are you, a Jedi? Seriously, this device (Overdrive) is one of the flakiest pieces of shit I have ever been involved with.

triptrailz

@clearwire-wmx.net

U1901 USB modem with docking bay in nyc upper east side. I have 3 towers relatively close to me according to the clearwire towrs . i have usually 3 bars in smartview. I average about 5-10mbps and 3-1.0 up mbp for almost 10 days now with only 1 disconnect.

I used to live in an area where there was 1 tower very close to me. At that previous location i had the same 2-4 bars from sprint smartview and i had about 1-5mbps, with 5mbps at the max and .4up mbps at the max.

It is not the modem that is at fault. It has to be the towers. i also notice how there can be different strenthes of signals depending on where the modem is. It is quite difficult to predict where the antenna or USB modem should be for the best quality connection but through trial and error, one can determine where the best spot is.

I'm extremely happy at the moment and i dont think i'll even bother with the new MiFi hockey puck replacement for the overdrive.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to lunarPlexus
said by lunarPlexus:

Seriously, this device (Overdrive) is one of the flakiest pieces of shit I have ever been involved with.

I'm not on an Overdrive, just a humble 4G modem, the U600.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 edit
reply to triptrailz
said by triptrailz :

i have usually 3 bars in smartview. I average about 5-10mbps and 3-1.0 up mbp for almost 10 days now with only 1 disconnect.

You're almost identical to me, except that your lower end on upload is a bit lower than mine. Mine is about .6. Sorta makes sense, considering we're both on the East Side of Manhattan, NYC.

In addition, I too have experienced dropped connections, which I never had even in the best days of 3G. On average my 4G connection dropped about once every two days starting on January 7th, though that was highly variable. More accurate would be to say that my connection dropped every 58 hours, plus or minus 41 hours. Put another way, my connection was dropping every 17 hours to 4 days. However, at the moment, I've gone over 6 days with no dropped connection, which represents the first time that has happened since the dropped connection problem began on January 7th, so they may have fixed it.

Here's what I'm getting today:

criggs

New York, NY
And here's what I'm getting today:

powerspec88
Premium
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO
reply to criggs

Downtown Kansas City at Naka-kon.

ticktock8

join:2011-01-08
Saint Charles, IL

Chicago burbs

criggs

New York, NY
And here's my speed today:

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
And here's what I got today:

Incidentally, it's been interesting watching the upload figure today. It's been extremely fast, going as high as 2 mbps at times, though it always winds up down around 1 because the cap reaches out like an invisible hand about halfway through the test and slaps it down to the 1 meg cap.

I find it curious that the upload speed takes off at such a good clip today. Might this be a side effect of some experimental WiMax 1.5 testing that could be starting this week?