how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pcully

join:2011-02-02
Annapolis Junction, MD

ONT not able to work with my Juniper to route public IPs

Verizon has confirmed that there is a known problem with my Juniper firewall and its ONT. Only one public IP can be routed through my Juniper firewall.

Due to the nature of our business we cannot install the Verizon residential router in between our Firewall and the ONT.

Our DSL IPs route just fine. Only one public IP, the one associated with the nic on the firewall is routable. The rest of them simply are unavailable.

I've spent months talking to Verizon about this. They suggest replacing the firewall but can't tell me what manufacturer/model will work with their ONT directly plugged into it.

I've been researching a Cisco 5520. Does anyone have this firewall installed with the ONT plugged directly into it? Can you route multiple public IPs? If so, and I hope someone does, could you please provide information re configuration.

I did put in a call to Cisco to see if they could assist me. I'm waiting to hear back. I called Verizon to see if they could give me the names of some companies that have successful solutions but for privacy reasons they cannot.

It's been a five month journey and I'd be grateful for any assistance. In the meantime, we have many unused IPs and we are hobbling along with DSL lines.

Thanks in advance.

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH
Are you trying to route a subnet to your single static ip???? i.e. /29,/30 e.t.c..If so from what i have heard you might not be able to route subnets...as dumb as that sounds (trust me i know it sounds dumb) but i have seen this before....the problem from what i have seen is not the ONT itself, but the actual PON (the other end) it is connected to. If i were you just grab a linksys router, and switch it from gateway to router mode and kill dhcp and assign your wan IP to the wan side and a ip in your routed subnet as the lan side and throw a pc on and that way you can at least see if the subnet is getting routed.

pcully

Annapolis Junction, MD
Hi
What I'm trying to do is assign public IPs to some of my sharepoint sites. All my sites sit on one sharepoint server. I created the sites in sharepoint, went into IIS and assigned it to the public IP, did a route, mapping and policy on my firewall but the sites were not accessible. Seems that the public IP will only work if I can assign it to a specific NIC card because it needs a MAC to associate with.

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
How many public's do you have??

pcully

Annapolis Junction, MD
we have 13 public IPs right now and will probably get more in the future.

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
ok..so...what is your subnet mask???

pcully

Annapolis Junction, MD
class C

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
reply to pcully
Ok..so this is making more sense now...So they just gave you a bunch of statics out of their class c so they are assigning them to you as secondaries...the absolute best way out of this if possible is to take one of those 13 ip's and make that the ip for your router/gateway...then have a /27 (32 ip's... 2 cannot be used the 3rd one use as your gateway so it would be your lan ethernet ip) routed to that one ip.

So your ethernet connecting to fios would have that one ip, and your ethernet connecting to your lan would be the gateway...heres an example

Ethernet To Fios: 1.1.1.1/24 (Class C)
Ethernet To Lan: 2.2.2.2/27 ( Cannot use 2.2.2.2 and 2.2.2.33 first and last and make 2.2.2.3 your lan ip)

So in turn your first usable ip on the network would be 2.2.2.4 and its gateway is 2.2.2.3.....

The way it is set up right now....it can be messy...having a subnet routed....best possible solution.

pcully

Annapolis Junction, MD
Thanks. I'm still exploring all my options. Yes, it is messy, actually just a plain mess.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to pcully
See this FAQ is the »Verizon FiOS forum:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Does Verizon business FIOS (Static IP) use subnetting?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to pcully
I would thin any linuxbox/router would work for this. Just have one computer (linux box) plugged into the ONT and then have iptable rules for the various IPs you have and forward them to a box on your pirvate subnet that the linuxbox is doing NAT for.
--
Two 35/35 FIOS connections bonded to 70/70