uniqs
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

O2 Launches Free Wi-Fi Service To Everyone In UK

»www.guardian.co.uk/techn ··· hotspots
quote:
O2 launches its free nationwide Wi-Fi broadband network today pitting the UK's largest mobile operator head-to-head with rivals including BT and The Cloud.

The Spanish owned operator will open up free Wi-Fi access to all internet users including customers not with O2 through partnerships with restaurants shops and high street retailers across the UK. [more]
How trustworthy is a FREE network like they are offering?

I would think because its "FREE" that justifies them watching everything you do.. (Email sent,etc)

Theres usually always a catch with FREE stuff (Its not as good as it seems)

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

If you're talking about publicly accessible Wi-Fi hotspots, I don't think your vulnerability is much affected by whether it's free or they expect you to pay for it.

Lest we forget, there's a whole forum here at BBR/DSLR devoted to this subject, »Security
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

O2 is Spanish-owned? Does that mean network response is going to suffer from occasional freezes?

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

They weren't always Spanish owned, O2 and Telefonica merged back in 2006. I'd have to assume that their operations would still be quarterbacked out of the UK somewhere.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Time for a quick trip to Company House.

poacher 1rtd
Premium Member
join:2004-02-25
oxford UK

poacher 1rtd to state

Premium Member

to state
said by state:

They weren't always Spanish owned, O2 and Telefonica merged back in 2006. I'd have to assume that their operations would still be quarterbacked out of the UK somewhere.

O2 was formed in 2001, following the demerger from British Telecom of its former mobile business, BT Wireless.

»www.o2.co.uk/abouto2/history