how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alexdexter

join:2002-10-01
Lake Stevens, WA

sb6120 password protection

I currently own a sb5120 and wrt54g wireless router with dd-wrt. I want to limit my kids access to the internet. I thought to use the wrt to do it, but the kids are too smart. They will just bypass the wireless and connect direct to the modem or maybe even set up their own router while I'm gone. This leaves me with only the modem, I think. I can take it with me. Since they cannot call comcast and provision a new one this will clearly work, but is a pain for me. The sb5100 does not have any password protection that I'm aware of. So I think I need to upgrade to sb6120 to get password protection. My questions are:

1. Does sb5100 have any password protection such that I can turn it on/off at will?
2. If I upgrade to sb6120 that has a password, will I be able to access it and turn off internet access. (sb5100 doesn't have a feature to do this)
3. s there a better way to do this to ensure the kids access only when I want them to? Lets skip the "ways to parent" discussion and keep it technical...please.

Thanks.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
Is there a way for you to lock the modem and router inside of a closet or cabinet? This way, the kids would not be able to access the modem's output connection; they would have to use the router's output (which could be set up to provide the limitations that you desire).

If you use wireless, the only wires that would need to go into the closet/cabinet would be the cable line and power.

Shrapnel64
Premium
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA
kudos:1
reply to alexdexter
I don't know of any password protection on a cable modem itself; I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by that.

Most modems are provisioned by HFC MAC address. If you power the modem off, and plug in a new Router or Device, you are then authenticated on that device.

Physical access is the worst enemy. If you can place the modem in a lockable cabinet or somewhere the children may not have access to, that's the best bet.

If you're looking to limit content on the Internet, you can configure OpenDNS...if they're using Wireless, then there's a fairly easy way to force them to use the OpenDNS servers and allow you to have free access using DD-WRT.