uniqs

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

DataRiker

Premium Member

Good news

Hopefully this gets overturned for good.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by DataRiker:

Finally, something we agree on!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't have a problem with UBB if I had the opportunity to actually LOWER my bill when I used less. But as we all know, that's not going to happen.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

said by DataRiker:

Finally, something we agree on!

In all seriousness, I wouldn't have a problem with UBB if I had the opportunity to actually LOWER my bill when I used less. But as we all know, that's not going to happen.

Ha! You're right. UBB is nothing more then a money grab. They want their cake and it eat it too. While we, the consumer, take one to the shorts. I'm glad to see that like what happened in the US, the unhappy canadians made a ton of noise over this.
shimh
join:2003-05-23

shimh to Matt3

to Matt3
Very true. If the bill is lower for light use, the revenue loss would be higher than the gain from heavy users. And bhell knows if ubb is implemented, there will be much less so called heavy users. Since the bill is not lowered, saying heavy users subsidize light users is simply a lie. Heavy or advanced users just make better use of networks and potentially put an obstacle for bhell's wide deployment of iptv. As matter of fact, iptv is the real-time bandwidth hog.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker
And this is the rub, UBB does not work like a utility which tends to have a rather small "Line Fee" to be hooked to the system.

This is why I fight UBB because I know here in the US a fully metered service would likely be 42.95 just to be hooked up to them and then a per gig metering at way more than one pays per Kilowatt Hour to keep the lights on.

Already here
@acsalaska.net

Already here

Anon

UBB in the US. Look no further than Alaska

Cable ISP GCI.com holds a rather large monopoly position here in Alaska. They've implemented and run UBB since 1999. GCI is charging these rates in Anchorage, Alaska, a city of well over 300,000 with high population density. I can understand charging rates such as these in a very small community, but economically, it these rates should not be justified in Anchorage.

»assets.gci.com/2011/01/T ··· x111.jpg

Packages/Prices on the left side are only attained with subscription to GCI's bundled services (Cable TV, local phone, long distance) Essentially you're being forced to pay $100 for those services before you have any opportunity to purchase a tier package with higher usage.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

At least in GCI's case, they have a relatively low amount of users who have to subsidize their long-haul fiber optic cables to the US. One is over 1500 miles long, that's not cheap.

They also look like they are somewhat good about providing service to rural Alaskans.

»www.gci.com/about/compan ··· overview

trainwreck6
join:2010-09-21
off track

1 recommendation

trainwreck6 to DataRiker

to DataRiker

Re: Good news

We're working on it! God forbid that our neighbors in the U.S. have to put up with what we're going through.

It's hard enough with throttling, etc. to have these guys just leave our pipes ALONE!

Slapnutzz
@bell.ca

Slapnutzz to Chris 313

Anon

to Chris 313
The cable tv providers are hellbent on increasing the cost of the internet to protect their revenues. It's that simple.

Ysean
@comcast.net

Ysean to Kearnstd

Anon

to Kearnstd
I don't know what power company YOU have but, Ameren charges almost as much for their distribution fees as is charged for the electricity. I DEFINITELY wouldn't call that a "small" fee. Ameren: "$80 worth of electricity usage? We'll bill $64 in delivery fees. There, that's better... The bill is $144."

already_here
@acsalaska.net

already_here to Matt3

Anon

to Matt3

Re: UBB in the US. Look no further than Alaska

In GCI's case they were making large enough profits to buy & deploy a 2nd undersea cable within less than 4 years time.. (first cable purchased around 99, second cable 650Gbps around 2003)

GCI is making lots of money. Now I can understand charging higher rates to rural communities where fixed costs are much higher and population density is smaller, but in a city like Anchorage with high population density, rates and service should be the same as any city with 300,000 stateside. Transport costs for GCI's undersea cable are less than 1 cent.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by already_here :

In GCI's case they were making large enough profits to buy & deploy a 2nd undersea cable within less than 4 years time.. (first cable purchased around 99, second cable 650Gbps around 2003)

GCI is making lots of money. Now I can understand charging higher rates to rural communities where fixed costs are much higher and population density is smaller, but in a city like Anchorage with high population density, rates and service should be the same as any city with 300,000 stateside. Transport costs for GCI's undersea cable are less than 1 cent.

»assets.gci.com/financial ··· 2010.pdf

They profited a whopping $7 million, or $0.14 per share.