how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10
kudos:1
reply to nauru

Re: how can I pay for netflix US in Canada?

+1 to Nauru's idea. I use RBC Harris Bank, aka RBC USA. It works well. Unlike TD Canada who offers you me no linking between my US account they now hold (fomerly Commerce Bancorp), RBC allows seamless transfers without massive SWIFT fees.

RBC in the US offers Visa BTW.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TOPDAWG

cool I'll look into that. Most sites I've no issue with as you can pay with paypal and they damn sure don't care. best buy and the like just don't care all the info is wrong HA. funny thing with paypal is they say the transfer rate is 98 it's been even like over a month now they should just say every 2 cents is our fee for every dollar.

I'll get mommy and daddy to help me out tonight so I can try it out.

MadFerIt

join:2008-09-17
North York, ON

STOP right now and visit this website: »www.entropay.com.

It will allow you within a few minutes to have Netflix USA setup with a "Virtual Visa Card" recognized by most U.S. websites (including Netflix) which you can topup with funds from a Canadian credit card.

When you signup to Netflix with this card any valid U.S. address will work. I use this for my Netflix US account .

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

ok tried it seemed it was a waste of a buck. get this error when tiring to sign up for netflix. I put 20 on it should be fine.

The credit card company reports that insufficient funds are available to reserve a security deposit. If you have a different card, please enter the credit card type, number, expiration date and billing zip code, and try again.

Ok got it just used my parents dept card to sign up then changed the card to the virtual one no issue. guess on the set-up set-up netflix wants to make sure they can bill you if you get some dvd's and don't send them back so being as my virtual card just had $20 on it that want it to be more.

tried it on my PC and it worked fine. now I need to get it on my TV. I was thinking you could use a VPN on PS3 but it can only use a proxy I'll just use my HT PC or put the VPN info into my router. I'd like you

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

When you sign up for the trial your default is streaming with no DVDs mailed.. I didn't have any of these issues and entropay worked flawlessly.. Errr oh so I heard.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON

yeah that is what I picked the no DVD thing but I got that error anyway.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TOPDAWG

man anyone got a good idea how to get the stuff onto my TV? I tried the VPN thing on my PC and barged the connections with my PS3 hooked up. It works fine till I turned the VPN on then PSN will not connect.

I also tried netflix with boxee and media center and man the video looked like shit. Even at low res it used a lot of CPU. ok video runs fun when I just run the stuff from the browser. still like to run it on my PS3 someway.

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

said by TOPDAWG:

I also tried netflix with boxee and media center and man the video looked like shit.

American Netflix on my PS3 looks very good when in HD. With vudu in HDX it looks even better. Do you have sufficient throughput from your ISP? If not, these services will auto-adjust and deliver lower quality streams.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON

no it was just with those two programs. I played a movie in the browser and it looked just fine. boxee netflix hardly would even work or load. in media center it just ran really bad.

g0g0

@shawcable.net

Netflix USA is 10000 times better then the Canadian version!

Cable475

join:2010-12-12
Canada
reply to ZZink

Who are you using for vpn?

oxymoron69

join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to TOPDAWG

I ended up signing up with usvideo, I'm still in the 1 week trial and so far it works really damn well. You just have to specify their DNS servers on the device you want access to US content on, or you can just set it up in your router and cover the whole LAN.

I don't know if I'll end up getting US netflix with the entropay card since you end up getting so much good streaming content once you're free and clear of geoIP restrictions.

After using hulu for a couple days, it's really sad that we don't have a proper Canadian version of that.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to nauru

I did this a couple years back; basic checking account to get a USD Visa.
Unless you carry a min bal of $700 in the checking, there are monthly fees of ~$5 USD /mth.
My account is out of NC if I remember correctly.
If you go this route, open a USD savings account in Canada as well. You will need this if you want to deposit USD cash to your US based USD account, as tellers in canada cannot directly access the US based accounts, even with the US debit card.
Example: I receive $100 USD as a gift. I go to the bank, they want to deposit into your existing canadian account, then transfer to your US USD account. That's 2 FX transactions, and as we know, everytime a bank does a FX transaction, they charge something.
To get around it, open another Canada based US savings account.
Goto teller, deposit USD gift into Canada's USD account. Goto web, electronically transfer the Canada USD cash to US USD account. No fees, no FX transactions to worry about.
Recap:
US based - 2 accounts: USD Visa, which requires some type of USD savings/checking. $700 min balance to avoid monthly fees.
Canada based: 1 USD savings/checking for when you receive USD cash.
--
~ Project Hope ~

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Jeffer71

said by Jeffer71:

said by chuckcar :

With the average price of using Netflix being around the thousand dollar a month mark in Canada unless you have a dedicated line it's probably cheaper to move to America and even if you quit your job you're still likely to be ahead.

Can i have some of what your smoking?

Me too, must be really good stuff...
--
Jake: "Four fried chickens, and a coke" Elwood: "And some dry white toast, please"

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
reply to Roofer

i checked the rbc link, they offer a us bank account but w/min balance of $700, or else there is a $3.95 service charge. the canadian based savings account offers the no service charge with no min balance

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to TOPDAWG

I have ummm... heard... that with a citibank mastercard and usvideo.org Netflix US is accessable to Canadians...

I also have a friend who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington DC who lets people use their address for Netflix service...

nauru

join:2011-02-02
reply to vincom

said by vincom:

i checked the rbc link, they offer a us bank account but w/min balance of $700, or else there is a $3.95 service charge. the canadian based savings account offers the no service charge with no min balance

You seem to have been looking at the wrong account. Here is the link you need. No minimum, no fees.

»www.rbcbankusa.com/checking/cid-96776.html

Some wrongly think it's not available to Canadians, but it is - i have it.

nauru

reply to EUS

You had the wrong account if you had a 700 minimum with monthly fee if you go below. See my previous post, with link to free checking account. RBC staff try to push the 700 minimum with fees because it's more profitable for them, (and market it as "US banking for Canadians" but really the one you want is the one with no fees at all which is not really advertised).

Some get confused and think this:\\

»www.rbcbankusa.com/checking/cid-188782.html

is the only US based account available to Canadians. That's a crappy account, you don't want that.

This one is totally different, much better.

»www.rbcbankusa.com/checking/cid-96776.html

Sucker

@rogers.com

said by nauru:

You had the wrong account if you had a 700 minimum with monthly fee if you go below.

So, keep it above $700. The problem with any of these US accounts is that they tell you that you have to file some BS non-resident tax form with the IRS. I looked into it, and it's not necessary if the account pays no interest. RBC Centura sent be the stupid form every year with a semi-threatening note that my account could be held if I did not comply. I usually just fed it to the shredder. Finally I told them not to send it any more because they don't pay me interest, and they haven't sent one since.

On topic... doesn't Netfix detect the I/P address of your device and will know it's in Canada? Sure, you can use a VPN, but the HD streaming is already so sensitive to line speed, it might become unwatchable if there are any delays. Also, if you try to watch it on any device that's not a computer, how would you even set it up for VPN?

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TOPDAWG

well I'm loving US netflix. I'm also using entropay to pay for it. Great site I just added 20 to my virtual CC and it just right now it costs me an extra 99 cents.

I'm also using it for live as in the US you can buy points at 400,600,800, and 1600. In Canada the points are all forked up you have to buy more then you need.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Sucker

said by Sucker :

Sure, you can use a VPN, but the HD streaming is already so sensitive to line speed, it might become unwatchable if there are any delays. Also, if you try to watch it on any device that's not a computer, how would you even set it up for VPN?

Depends on the VPN I guess...

The VPN server I use is really good, I used to take a small hit at the beginning of the session if I used PPTP (which translated as a 1-2 sec lag to start an activity so either surf to a webpage or start a stream) using OpenVPN I don't notice any lag whatsoever, and the speeds aren't noticeably slower, if there's any loss in speed at all.

I guess it depends on the provider; but it's been my experience that VPN is definitely a suitable option to watch TV.
--
I don't need no education to be a smiling fool.

nitewulf2

@distributel.net
reply to TOPDAWG

easly, open an paypal account and pay with it, the only thing u have to do is to find a american address and coresponding zip code, they check it electronicaly due to DVD rental delivery, other then that, they dont care, it works for me flawlesly. Be sure to use a good VPN, then it works just fine

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON

I tried to use paypal but it would just error out on me when I tried to pay. I like the entropay I'm using now works perfect.

nauru

reply to Sucker

said by Sucker :

said by nauru:

You had the wrong account if you had a 700 minimum with monthly fee if you go below.

So, keep it above $700. The problem with any of these US accounts is that they tell you that you have to file some BS non-resident tax form with the IRS.

Why have an account that penalizes you for dropping below $700 when there is a virtually identical account available for free with the same bank, but without any minimums or penalties? In my experience (over 2 years) I've never needed to file any IRS forms with the account I've recommended, never received any mail to that effect. It may be different with the $700-minimum account you have though.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

I tried to use paypal but it would just error out on me when I tried to pay. I like the entropay I'm using now works perfect.

I'm reading up on this as well... did you need to forward any documentation to entropay to set it up?
--

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

no just sign up pick an amount to put on the CC and it does it. you pay for the amount first then it just puts that on the CC they make for you.

One warning if you use it got netflix US you have to have some amount on it I've no idea as being as netflix sends out dvd's i guess want to make sure you have enough on your CC so they can bill you if you lost or stole a dvd. I had 20 and it would not work.

I just used my parents CC then changed teh info to the fake CC.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON

Cool...

I'll just put a good amount on the fake visa and let it debit then...
--

Sucker

@rogers.com
reply to nauru

said by nauru:

said by Sucker :

said by nauru:

So, keep it above $700. The problem with any of these US accounts is that they tell you that you have to file some BS non-resident tax form with the IRS.

Why have an account that penalizes you for dropping below $700 when there is a virtually identical account available for free with the same bank, but without any minimums or penalties? In my experience (over 2 years) I've never needed to file any IRS forms with the account I've recommended, never received any mail to that effect. It may be different with the $700-minimum account you have though.

It looks to me like the difference between the two accounts you linked to in your earlier post is that one is expressly for Canadians banking in the US; the other looks like it's just a regular RBC US account. Just curious... Does the no-minimum-balance account allow you to freely transfer between your Canadian and US accounts on the RBC banking web page? That was their big selling feature for the account I have.

The IRS non-resident tax form is probably required because they want to keep tabs on us "fourners" funding terrorism and piracy with our multi-gazillion dollar US accounts. Gotta keep the homeland secure, ya know.

Now to editorialize....

I was born in the states; I have a US Social Security number. I could use any number of addresses of relatives living there to get US based satellite or Netflix if I really wanted to. I choose not to because I would rather support companies in Canada - even if they are just branch offices of US companies.

nauru

1 edit

I've had both accounts, both allow you to freely transfer between Canadian and US accounts. I had the 700 minimum account originally, but switched to the no minimum account when I found out nearly all the features were the same. The only thing it's missing is the non-RBC atm reimbursement at US bank machines up to 4 times per month. For someone who lives in the US, it would ironically be better to have the account which is pitched at Canadian residents. Vice versa for someone who lives in Canada.

I can't speak for others, but my experience over the past years is that I've never been sent an IRS tax form ever, and nobody has ever complained about that or even mentioned it. IRS form is probably not required due to the fact that it's a checking account and pays no interest. I would imagine security concerns are addressed by requiring considerable identification to open the account, and regular monitoring of transactions by the bank, with further inquiries being led by Homeland Security if necessary.

Editorial...

I was born in Canada, I have a Canadian social insurance number. I could use any number of Canadian addresses to get Canadian versions of US products and services such as Netflix if I really wanted to. I choose not to because I would rather support companies who are innovative and provide the best products/services in the world at the best prices, rather than companies or branch offices who market inferior products/services at uncompetitive prices and whose existence in their current form is in large part due to the protectionist regulatory environment in Canada. I do this to support the most innovative and competitive businesses regardless of where on earth they are located or what nationality the employees are -- even if that means some or most of my income is spent on products and services from companies which are not located in Canada.

Kraftyy

join:2010-06-19
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Step 1: Buy a US Proxy IP

Step 2: Make a new paypal acc under a US address

Step 3: Send money via your canadian paypal acc to the US paypal acc

Step 4: Pay for US Netflix acc with US Paypal acc

Step 5: Login to the proxy

Step 6: Go to netflix.com

Step 7: Profit???