uniqs

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to MerinX

Premium Member

to MerinX

Re: how can I pay for netflix US in Canada?

said by MerinX:

»www.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

all seasons of smallville
1-6 Supernatural
the event season 1 is up

Netflix usa has pretty much anything you could want that is not the current season. Which is why it killed blockbuster and soon DVDs all together.

Even rare cult classics like the man from earth as well as most mainstream movies. Compared to canada netflix it is 100000 times better.

I looked up smallville and Supernatural and you can't stream then they are DVD only.

J C
@bell.ca

J C

Anon

How did you do to activate your device? Am almost all set, virtual Ccard and account opened with netflix but i cannot activate the device when i go to the computer. How did you guys do it?
pavesk8
join:2010-11-03
k2j0z9

pavesk8 to DjEclipse

to DjEclipse
said by DjEclipse:

Thanks for the explanation. I let my Canadian netfilx expire but will look into the U.S. account.

The only problem is I mostly use my PS3 to stream netfilx. I assume I would have to make an alternate U.S. based ps3 account, and hopefully the VPN will work on the ps3.

There is no VPN option on the PS3. I had to buy a new router and install DD-WRT on it with the VPN configured (this was not easy). My Canada PS Network account did not affect accessing the Netflix US account (though I did have to delete and redownload the Netflix APP to reset the settings).
pavesk8

pavesk8 to anon_i_am

to anon_i_am
said by Kraftyy:
Step 1: Buy a US Proxy IP

Step 2: Make a new paypal acc under a US address

Step 3: Send money via your canadian paypal acc to the US paypal acc

Step 4: Pay for US Netflix acc with US Paypal acc

Step 5: Login to the proxy

Step 6: Go to netflix.com

Step 7: Profit???

This is how I do it and works like a charm

That sounds great if you want to watch NetFlix on a computer, What if you're using Apple TV or Samsung BluRay to access NetFlix? They seem to connect to the Canadian site without asking for the NetFlix IP address or URL.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
I bought an ASUS RT-N16 and installed DD-WRT firmware on it. Bought an IPSEC SSL/PPTP VPN subscription from Witopia. Configured the RT-N16 as the VPN endpoint so any device connected to it can access the Netflix US.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

How does one get past step 2 exactly?
gruntlord6
join:2010-06-10
Barrie, ON

gruntlord6

said by EUS:

How does one get past step 2 exactly?

I just had an american make me one.
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to pavesk8

to pavesk8
said by pavesk8:

said by DjEclipse:

Thanks for the explanation. I let my Canadian netfilx expire but will look into the U.S. account.

The only problem is I mostly use my PS3 to stream netfilx. I assume I would have to make an alternate U.S. based ps3 account, and hopefully the VPN will work on the ps3.

There is no VPN option on the PS3. I had to buy a new router and install DD-WRT on it with the VPN configured (this was not easy). My Canada PS Network account did not affect accessing the Netflix US account (though I did have to delete and redownload the Netflix APP to reset the settings).

It wounds like a lot of work. If netflix were a service that offers tv shows sooner after they are aired on regular TV I would do it for sure.
DjEclipse

DjEclipse to nauru0

to nauru0
said by nauru0:

FYI for anyone in Canada:

RBC will open a genuine US bank account for you (not a Canada-based USD account, but an actual US bank account), all you need to do is walk into a Canadian RBC branch and ask specifically for it. Your home branch will be in Florida. You will get a US debit card, and you can also get a US credit card if you want. Only rule is that you have to have a Canadian account as well, but there are no-fee savings accounts ones you can get which will just sit there with $.01 balance and cost you nothing. Also you can transfer between the two accounts online. For the US account you need to insist on the account "Free Checking" which has no minimum balance and no monthly fees, unlimited transactions. Some staff think Canadians can't have this one, but they can, I have it.

»www.rbcbankusa.com/check ··· 776.html

Furthermore, you can do all this with nothing but a Canadian address, without ever visiting the United States. If you require an American address for certain transactions, the good folks at RBC in Florida will add an "alternate address" to your account, which can be any US address you specify. No mail will ever be sent to that alternate address, and it will not be used for anything at all by the bank (all your statements will still be mailed to your primary address in Canada and nowhere else); however when you enter your zip code or alternate address during payment on US websites, it will be accepted since it will match what's on your account.

I tried this today. Printed off the free checking account info and was told I could not get this account in canada. She called the head office in the states and they told her the same.

Who did you talk to in order to get this account set up form a Canadian branch?

Thanks.
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

What response did you get? Did they just say 'no' or did they try to sell you on the "US Banking for Canadians" account which has a $700 minimum? If necessary you can just open the $700 minimum one, and then immediately convert it to free checking once it's open (you would call US customer service to do this).

When opening the account I spoke with a branch representative at a local branch in Toronto. She wanted me to get the $700 minimum account though so I just went along with it and a couple of weeks later converted to free checking via US customer service.
nauru0

nauru0 to DjEclipse

to DjEclipse
I spoke to a representative at a local branch in Toronto.

What was the response you got, did they try to get you to open $700 minimum account instead or did they just flat out refuse to open a US bank account for you without making any suggestions?

If it's the former, you may want to just open the $700 minimum account and then convert it to the free checking through a phone call to US customer service. If it's the latter, I would recommend dealing with a different branch because these are people who either lack appropriate training or are deliberately making your life difficult.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
According to the US video site, they've stopped recommending entropay as a way to get Netflix US in Canada.

They now suggest using prepaid Visas and Vancity Bank:

»usvideo.org/how-to-set-u ··· aid-visa

Might be a little easier than setting up a $700 chequing account.
nauru0
join:2011-02-02

nauru0

Yeah if all you are doing is Netflix, then maybe you don't want a new bank account just for that.

To call it "$700 bank account" is kind of misleading, since most I know have been able to open the free checking directly. Others have been able to immediately convert to free checking without depositing anything in the account. And after that there are no transaction fees and no minimums forever. (unlike virtual credit cards which fleece you every time you use them)

I use the bank account for

eBay
Amazon.com
Shipito
US bank card for business trips and vacations in USA
miscellaneous other US businesses that I purchase stuff online from, such as Netflix

Anyway personal choice.

Opening a bank account will always be more work than opening a virtual credit card because one involves leaving your house and going to a local bank to get the account open, while the other can be done from the comfort of your own home.
mickw99
join:2003-04-09
Kitchener, ON

mickw99 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
this way works great.
said by El Quintron:

According to the US video site, they've stopped recommending entropay as a way to get Netflix US in Canada.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

said by mickw99:

this way works great.

said by El Quintron:

The hell they getting paid to say that or something? The terms are forking awful. I pay 99 cents every time I load entropay with 20 bucks. entropay also has good costumer serve as I locked myself out of my account cause i forgot I had my VPN on when I tried to log in and they had it fixed for me the next day. entropay also has the exchange rates up to date. No fees just the 99 cents I pay to load the 20 that is it. No way this visa is better. You can also load a few months of netflix serve on a entropay on the dollar card unlike the visa where you would have 4 bucks lift if you got a $20 card.

I'm guessing the entropay asks for a bigger fee then the visa card and usvideo wants the lower rates to make more money.

This is a prepaid non-reloadable Visa card by Citizens Bank of Canada. You can get a $25, $50 or $100 card and it gives you about two years to spend it. There is a "purchase fee" that varies from $3.95 for a $25 card to $5.95 for a $100 one. If you read the small font on the card though you will discover that they will start charging $2/month monthly maintenance fee after 6 months and that there is 2.5% fee for foreign currency transactions.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
BTW I signed up over the weekend with my Amex on Netflix, no problems. A friend of mine also tried it with his Mastercard last night, no issues either. We both have a Canadian card.
DjEclipse
join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON

DjEclipse to nauru0

to nauru0
said by nauru0:

I spoke to a representative at a local branch in Toronto.

What was the response you got, did they try to get you to open $700 minimum account instead or did they just flat out refuse to open a US bank account for you without making any suggestions?

If it's the former, you may want to just open the $700 minimum account and then convert it to the free checking through a phone call to US customer service. If it's the latter, I would recommend dealing with a different branch because these are people who either lack appropriate training or are deliberately making your life difficult.

She told me the free checking account was not available to anyone n Canada. The called some U.S. based number and they told her the same thing, only the 700.00 and some other account with lots of fees was available in canada.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

This is a prepaid non-reloadable Visa card by Citizens Bank of Canada. You can get a $25, $50 or $100 card and it gives you about two years to spend it. There is a "purchase fee" that varies from $3.95 for a $25 card to $5.95 for a $100 one. If you read the small font on the card though you will discover that they will start charging $2/month monthly maintenance fee after 6 months and that there is 2.5% fee for foreign currency transactions.

I haven't tried either Entropay or the above yet... but Entropay does ask for some type of ID verification, which may be a pain to some.

I was proposing this as a counter point to opening a $700 chequing account.
El Quintron

El Quintron to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

BTW I signed up over the weekend with my Amex on Netflix, no problems. A friend of mine also tried it with his Mastercard last night, no issues either. We both have a Canadian card.

Good to know, hopefully they won't stop this anytime soon.

slowikc
join:2011-01-23
Milton, On

slowikc to El Quintron

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I haven't tried either Entropay or the above yet... but Entropay does ask for some type of ID verification, which may be a pain to some.

I took a chance and used Entropay on the weekend. I was thinking they would ask for some kind of ID and make me send faxes, but the only verification I did was put in my date of birth during at the input of my Canadian Visa information.

I had the entropay account ready to go after a few minutes with no other verification, then went to Netflix.COM and got the US netflix working a few minutes after that.

U.S netflix definitely has more selection than Canadian. It could still use more content, but its worth the $8.00 a month.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by slowikc:

I took a chance and used Entropay on the weekend. I was thinking they would ask for some kind of ID and make me send faxes, but the only verification I did was put in my date of birth during at the input of my Canadian Visa information.

I had the entropay account ready to go after a few minutes with no other verification, then went to Netflix.COM and got the US netflix working a few minutes after that.

Good I think I'll be going that route as well... it took me a bit, but I got the VPN working on TomatoUSB so I'm pretty much set to go.

IBM0111
@rogers.com

IBM0111 to slowikc

Anon

to slowikc
You sign up to Entropay with a US address, right?
IBM0111

IBM0111

Anon

Agh, they're asking me for ID because of a 'random security check'.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to IBM0111

Premium Member

to IBM0111
said by IBM0111 :

You sign up to Entropay with a US address, right?

Actually you sign up with your Canadian address (it needs to match your Canadian credit card's address if your using it) and then you select a US account.

When you sign up for Netflix then you can make up a US address.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I wonder how many people are currently living at 123 Sesame St ?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by EUS:

I think someone mentioned earlier that they used the Netflix head office address and it went through.

Conversely I wonder how many people used 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW?

slowikc
join:2011-01-23
Milton, On

1 edit

slowikc to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:

I don't think they can use 123 Sesame St, because its in Toronto.

»maps.google.ca/maps?clie ··· kQ8gEwAA

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by slowikc:

I don't think they can use 123 Sesame St, because its in Toronto.

»maps.google.ca/maps?clie ··· kQ8gEwAA

Good find.
Xsympatico
join:2009-05-19

Xsympatico to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
Those pre-paid visa cards that you can buy at Shoppers are good if you don't wan't any form of identification. ex. paying for pr0n

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

who the hell pays for pron?
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by slowikc:

Good I think I'll be going that route as well... it took me a bit, but I got the VPN working on TomatoUSB so I'm pretty much set to go.

with that firmware can you still use MLPPP?