This is a sub-selection from 404?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to TamaraB

Re: 404?

The original thread doesn't present any *proof*. They are only describing what they are seeing. If the ISP is running a transparent proxy then they aren't messing with your connection to a foreign server. (you aren't connecting to the server you think you are. which is a different thing to bitch about.)

I'd love to look into it myself, but they aren't my ISP. If you want a URL to test, I'll give you one -- the server (my server) answers with a custom 404 page. (it has been for over a decade.)

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
Well what proof do you expect? Mediacom customers (such as myself) have confirmed this. You're asking for proof besides what they see. What proof will satisfy you? Some of the people involved in the thread discussed are/were Mediacom technicians!

I have a few sites on a dedicated server. The sites with a custom 404 don't result in Mediacom providing their assistance page. Sites without a custom 404 return Mediacom's assistance page.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Packet captures of both sides. If the server is returning http status code 404 and not a 302 redirect to the error page, and they aren't messing with it, then there's a whole new set of questions about what the h*** they're doing.

In fact, just use telnet or netcat and watch the characters as you type them. (you'll have to be the web browser and web server in this experiment.)

(BTW, I didn't see anyone from mediacom fessing up to exactly what they're doing. Just several "it's fixed now" jedi-hand-waves.)

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
Unfortunately that is getting above my skill level. But I'd be willing to entertain it if I had some guidance.

As far as anyone from Mediacom fessing up on it, I doubt it. I meant that a few Mediacom employees in the thread - who aren't advertised as employees but those who have been in the Mediacom forum do know - have confirmed the results that we customers have seen.