how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oldbuzzard

join:2001-12-06
Hudson, OH

[Android] Droid Eris won't recognize my router

Its a Linksys N router set to mixed mode broadcasting SSID. Other "G" only devices recognize it. It will find other routers in the neighborhood and a tethered phone. I tried manually inputting the SSID and that didn't work. HTC says its "some router setting that needs to be changed", but I can't figure out what that might be. Googling the problem hasn't provided any answer. HELP!!

oldbuzzard

Hudson, OH

Moderator - I don't think this ideally in the Linksys forum, because the router works fine. N and g cards recognize it as do other phones. Other Droid phones also recognize it. This is a problem that seems to be specific to the droid eris as I've see references to it online with other router brands.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

A friend recenlt banged theur head for 4 days searching for the same issue.. we probably found what you did, but I'll ask anyways

Is the firmware up to date? What security is enabled..WEP, WPA?
Did you use "Authentication mode" - it may not be compatible

When you manually input the SSID..is it exact? (case sensitive).
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

oldbuzzard

Hudson, OH

said by lilhurricane:

A friend recenlt banged theur head for 4 days searching for the same issue.. we probably found what you did, but I'll ask anyways

Is the firmware up to date? What security is enabled..WEP, WPA?
Did you use "Authentication mode" - it may not be compatible

When you manually input the SSID..is it exact? (case sensitive).

Yes the firmware is up to date. WPA2 security is what's enabled. I did manually input the SSID and it didn't work - but I was broadcasting the SSID (unrecognized by the Eris so I wasn't surprised when manual input didn't work.

I did tether my old G router to my current N router and with no security, so (for security) I didn't broadcast the SSID (manual input) and did MAC filtering and the phone recognized it. But they seem to be fighting each other and my other devices are having real trouble now, so I disconnected it for now.

From what I've been able to glean from the forums, this problems is specific to the Eris and not all android phones - they don't recognize wifi with any real security - its some issue with the firmware apparently. I found a jailbreak that claimed to fix the issue but it didn't.

The only solution I can come up with is a dual band router where you broadcast an unencrypted signal at 2.4 Ghz, filter the MAC ID and use that for the phone, along with a 5.0 signal for all other wireless devices.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

Good gosh, my schpelling

Yes, the Eris, in particular is a finicky phone. I saved it twice from being dropped into the toilet

This is what we found that worked:
»androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris···st988819

quote:
I had pa-psk + wpa2-psk turned on for the "authentication mode". That is not compatible with the eris.
When I changed this setting to "wpa2-psk" only everything hooked up fine.
Most of what we found related to all N routers (in general)

Is this a feature you can't change? Maybe the forum folk can assist with that.
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

sURFNmADNESS

join:2002-03-11
Omaha, NE
reply to oldbuzzard

Load WIFI Analyzer by farproc on your Android phone to see if your phone is even seeing your router.

Then load the app WiFi Manager by Kostya Vasilyev. Both are free apps in the market. Between the two they will manage your WiFi with a better visual interface to SSID/Key and signal strength.

TX CS Aggie
TX CS Aggie

join:2009-07-22
College Station, TX
kudos:1
reply to oldbuzzard

what channel are you broadcasting on? if 12 13 or 14 set it between 1 -11.

also I agree with setting security to only WPA2. Also set to only AES and if you don't need to run in mixed mode don't.

My samsung captivate has no issues with WPA2-AES 64-key wireless G security just fyi.

FBIG

join:2009-10-01
Kansas City, KS
reply to oldbuzzard

Re: +1 for me [Android] Droid Eris won't recognize my router

oldbuzzard,
I had a similar problem, but the router is a Belkin F5D8235-4 N+. Since I rarely use N+, I found that it worked with N band turned off, just the B/G. Took the Belkin off the LAN except as a Gig Switch.
No problems at all with my Linksys routers and the Eris, a BEFW11S4, WRT54G, WRT54GC, and an E3000. The performance on the BEF was sloooow, then agin, it is only 802.11 B. The 54GC is for traveling, but it also works at G.
The 54G (a V4) and the E3000 run Tomato and no problems. Have probably had 4 or 5 builds on both of them. The E3k is the family room router (gateway, storage, gaming, and media) The 54G is in the basement where is serves as a 100 mb switch and AP when I need one down there.
The Eris and my Moto Droid both prefer to connect to the E3000, even if the signal is somewhat stronger from the 54G, but if the 54G is much stronger than the E3000, the 54G wins both Droids. IMHO, I'd say that the radios on the E3k are more up to date and liked better by the Droids.

/s/ FBIG