spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JMD

@bellsouth.net

[Line Problem] AT&T DSL Frequently Losing Internet Connection

I'm going to try to provide as much info as I can, at the risk of making this post "too long, don't read."

Several times per hour, I randomly lose my internet connection, though I still have my DSL link. This started about 2 weeks ago, prior to that my connection was excellent, only 2-3 disconnects over several months of service. The only things I have noticed that changed in that time frame: We had a cold snap that burst some water pipes outside my apartment, and a new neighbor moved in.

After 9+ hours on the phone with tech support, 3 connection rebuilds, a new modem (same type), and visits to my home from 4 service technicians, I have lost faith in AT&T's ability to even diagnose my problem. When asked what tests (over the phone, or the field tech in person) they are doing, the only answer they give me is, "Some standard line tests." Hopefully some folks here can help me out.

I am subscribed to AT&T 6Mb DSL, and using a 2wire Gateway 2701-b modem/router. I am connected via Ethernet on my PC, and connected over wireless with my PS3. The PC is running Win7. Both PC and PS3 experience the same disconnect problem.

During a disconnect:
Power LED: Solid Green
Network LED: Green
DSL LED: Solid Green
Internet LED: Solid Red (Modem is unable to initiate a PPPoE session)

From My Modem Diagnostic page during a disconnect:
DSL Synchronization: UP
G.DMT Signal: UP
PVC Connection: UP
PPPoE Service: DOWN
PPP Authentication: DOWN
IP Connection: DOWN
DNS Communication: DOWN

System Event Log of the Last Drop:
INF 2011-02-06T10:42:20-05:00 sys: ppp0: connection lost, reconnecting...
INF 2011-02-06T10:44:35-05:00 sys: ppp0: Up with ipv4 service on pppoe0
INF 2011-02-06T10:44:35-05:00 sys: dnstest0: connection lost, reconnecting...
INF 2011-02-06T10:44:36-05:00 sys: ipnet0: Up on ppp0 with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
INF 2011-02-06T10:44:36-05:00 sys: DNS up DNS1:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, DNS2:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
INF 2011-02-06T10:44:37-05:00 sys: Bridge network changed to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bmask:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Note that all disconnects look this way in the log, the only difference is the IP of the Bridge Network.

My Line Diagnostics:
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Downstream Rate Cap: 8128 kbps
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 20.3 dB
Uncancelled Echo: -17.8 dB Ok
VCXO Frequency Offset: -39.0 ppm Ok
Final Rx Gain: 20.0 dB Ok
Impulse Noise Comp. Tones: 0 Ok
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Impulse noise protection: 0.00
Delay of latency path: 0.25 ms

Additional info: During one of my many tech support phone calls with AT&T, they sent me up a tier to advanced tech support (the only time they did so even when I told them my ticket was already escalated and asked them to after this). This tech support agent mentioned it was strange my line was showing 8Mb when I was subscribed to 6Mb. The agent mentioned they might be testing the network in my area to roll out 8Mb service. They tried to change it to 6Mb, but it reset back to 8Mb. They were investigating the reset and put me on hold. The phone call disconnected while I was on hold and the agent didn't call me back. I went through their phone maze again only to find out that the network engineers left for the day.

Any info on what is wrong, additional tests I can do here, and tips on navigating through the BS at AT&T tech support are welcome.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Re: [Line Problem] AT&T DSL Frequently Losing Internet Connectio

Based on your symptoms (good stats, and only the PPP session is dropping), the problem belongs to AT&T, and there is really not much you can do about it (other than continually calling AT&T support).

There may be a remote possibility that your modem has a problem, but it is a very small possibility.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JMD

@bellsouth.net
Yeah, I don't think the problem is my modem since they sent us a replacement and that didn't fix it.

Is it possible it could be a physical wiring problem? I would think a damaged cable or bad/noisy termination would result in a loss of DSL sync, not just a PPP session drop.

Regarding AT&T tech support, does anybody know a magic word to break out of Tier 1's troubleshooting flowchart? Do I have to fill out a blue presidential prisoner release form?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by JMD :

Yeah, I don't think the problem is my modem since they sent us a replacement and that didn't fix it.

Is it possible it could be a physical wiring problem? I would think a damaged cable or bad/noisy termination would result in a loss of DSL sync, not just a PPP session drop.

Regarding AT&T tech support, does anybody know a magic word to break out of Tier 1's troubleshooting flowchart? Do I have to fill out a blue presidential prisoner release form?

I already said (based on your posted symptoms) that it did not sound like a physical problem over which you have any control.

If you want to register with this site, you can post your problem in the AT&T Direct forum. You need to register because the techs communicate with you via this site's IM feature. Also, be sure to read (and follow) the instructions on the forum home page so that your problem will get the proper handling (and not get shuffled to the back of the queue). I mention this, because it may take a couple of days before you hear back from one of the techs, and if you get impatient and go back and make additional posts in your thread before one of the AT&T techs starts processing your problem, it will definitely delay getting help.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JMD13

join:2011-02-07
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
reply to JMD
Well, I followed Netfixer's advice and posted in the direct support forums and am patiently awaiting a reply.

Update on my problem: AT&T has 2 different terms for intermittent problems. "Intermittent Sync" is as it sounds, losing DSL sync. "Intermittent Surf" is a loss of internet (PPPoE drop) despite a solid DSL sync.

The first tech support rep I talked to wrote intermittent sync on my ticket and that misdiagnosis has been causing confusion for every tech support and field repair guy I have dealt with.

My advice to others who might have a similar problem: when you call AT&T make sure to verify they correctly identify your problem in their notes. One wrong note (and paying more attention to their support flowchart than what I was telling them) has resulted in 5 field service visits that were a waste of time for both me and AT&T.

MelMel27

join:2011-05-02
Greer, SC
reply to JMD
Ok So I have had the same exact problem which started around Jan. I, like you have spent countless hours on the phone with at&t tech support. Here it is May and I am still having this problem. I did have someone from the "Office of the President" to contact me about a week ago, only after filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Here are two of the numbers where they called me. One lady's name is Tonya Howell. 404-986-8615. I'm not sure what the other woman's name is but the number is 404-541-4227. Maybe if we get enough people with the same problem they will do something. I made them credit my bill for 2 of the months and cut it in half one month. I refuse to pay for a service that I can't use. It's crap and they Need to fix it. I wish I could help you more. If you fins a solution PLEASE let me know!
Thanks