share rss forum feed

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

What Could Cause Slow Sprint 3G Speeds?

said by seaprobe:

About typical these days. Has been getting slower for the last year or so. Too many smart phones on my tower, perhaps?

Perhaps. Or, as you yourself pointed out:

said by seaprobe:

I was also using a VPN to my company, and I can't say with confidence this was due to the 4G or to VPN concentrators overloaded, or the exchange server.

The bottom line is that you're not getting what you're paying for. Can you try connecting as a test without your VPN, exchange server and so on, and then see what you get?

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA

Good point, criggs.

The speedtest.net result was *without* the VPN. My estimate of upload time for a large attachment was through the VPN, which seemed to be about half of what speedtest.net measured.

Fortunately, 4G was turned on in this area about a month ago, so I only fall back to 3G in the coverage holes for 4G. 4G is way, way faster, about on PAR with my Elite DSL at home.

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

I don't know how important the billing is to you but, in my case, I have been running for the past two months with 4G at about 90% functionality and 3G at about 10% functionality.

And I applied for a 50% credit on that basis from Sprint, and got it. I always believe it's worth one's while to fight getting ripped off.

seaprobe

join:2006-07-16
Sunnyvale, CA

True enough. The billing is handled by my employer, I don't even see my own usage bills.

That said, I did speak with Sprint's technical support last week. They hinted that there was a work order to add more backhaul to my local tower. I say hinted as he did not make any commitment on Sprint's behalf.

I'm not even sure that is the case. I saw my EVDO RSSI swing from the low 80's to the mid 110's and back over a few minutes. Seems like there is a lot of contention on the channel.