spc
uniqs
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to triptrailz

to triptrailz

Re: February 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax speeds

And I actually think that's abnormal too, based on my own experience.

By that I mean that every time I reconnect I'm given a different IP address, with regard to Speedtest servers I'm sometimes routed to New York NY, sometimes to Red Bank NJ, sometimes to Philadelphia PA, sometimes even to Maidstone England, etc. etc. It strikes me as peculiar that you are ALWAYS sent to the same server. Have you noticed whether your IP address also changes every time you connect?
pointzer0
join:2008-10-19
Chantilly, VA

pointzer0

Hi all,

I recently got Sprint 4g with the U1901 USB Modem/dock and I've been having some issues. I've pinpointed the problem, and I was told by Sprint Tech Support that they cannot do anything on their end. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...

It seems that when I connect to Sprint 4g, it will randomly change the BSID (I'm assuming that's the towers around me) mid connection. I've tried moving it everywhere, facing it in all sorts of directions and I cannot seem to resolve this issue. There is one tower that produces great speeds when I can connect to it (which is often), but minutes later it switches to another tower and my bars will instantly lower from 3~4 to 1~2, my 7~9Mbps DL goes down to .8~1.5Mbps DL.

I was told that there is nothing on their end that can solve this, or cause me to just lock on to the best BSID/tower. Each time it finds a new tower it will usually disconnect itself if I'm using my download bandwidth even remotely above idle.

Thus far I've counted 5~6 towers, and all of them have been less than ideal(rather, I'd have to return the product/service) aside from the great one. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. - I'm building a corner reflector now and I'll see if that helps.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

I've been told that I'm SURROUNDED by towers (I'm in midtown Manhattan) and yet it sounds like your experience is quite different from mine.

Don't get me wrong; I do occasionally get disconnected. I normally get disconnected an average of once every two days, though I usually don't have a problem reconnecting immediately. It's not that regular however. The average variation on that average is about plus or minus 40 hours. Essentially I get disconnected once every 14 to 98 hours (98 hours is a little over four days).

But it sounds to me like you're getting disconnected more often than that. And I'm not getting the speed variations you're getting.

What I'm trying to say is that, regardless of what Sprint is telling you, getting repeatedly disconnected and reconnected if surrounded by more than one tower does NOT sound normal to me!

Of course, it just occurred to me that one variable might be your modem. I have a U600; you don't. Perhaps the U600 is better if one has more than one tower in the area. Perhaps you can get them to swap yours with a different modem.
criggs

criggs

And here are my speeds for today:

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz

Anon

omg, this is the first time it has given me a different location than seattle washington. This is also the best results i've ever had. I'm also having the best connection as well. Same ip address tho. I'm moving to the 90's and lexington in manhattan tomorrow. Looking foward to posting my numbers then.

Pointzer, i have the same U1901 modem with the docking bay. I'm very curious as to what your speedtest.net results are. as well as what location your at and how long you've had the modem for.