Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to pm_

Re: [Speed Problem] Download Slow Between 4:00pm to 1:00am

said by pm_:

said by ILpt4U:

I switched from traditional CO ADSL service to "U-Verse" CO IPDSLAM ADSL2+ service, still on the Elite 6 Mbps plan, and to this point (only a couple days in now), have not experienced any slowdowns -- consistently getting ~5.5 Mbps downstream.

Too bad AT&T requires Interleaving on U-Verse.

Not true. "U-Verse" IPDSLAM ADSL2+ service can be provisioned Fast Path. Mine is.

All VDSL2 U-Verse service is Interleave, though

pm_

join:2009-10-11
Aurora, IL

said by ILpt4U See Profile
Not true. "U-Verse" IPDSLAM ADSL2+ service can be provisioned Fast Path. Mine is.

All VDSL2 U-Verse service is Interleave, though

Actually, I do thank you for that info. I ran across a post of yours last night after I wrote that. If I read everything correctly, you are limited on the IPDSLAM ADSL2+ to the standard DSL profile speeds, maxing at 6016/768. So that is an option, but it is also a bit ghetto. They should offer fast-path higher speeds on the IPDSLAM products, such as 12/2, provided your line will support it.

On VDSL, Provided your line stats are good, I think you should have the option to turn off interleave, even if it's just for those who are running VDSL Internet. It's a pretty bad to have a defacto policy that requires interleave on all VDSL connections, when in fact, depending on the speed, a lot of those connections probably don't need it. I'd also take 12/2 or whatever without interleave vs 20/3 with interleave. There's no harm in allowing a user to request Interleave be turned off, letting them try it, and if no problems, keep it turned off. It's the same thing they do for DSL...

I will never stop complaining about the VDSL Interleave policy until someone at some level says they can change it. It's a product I may actually want at some point, but not with Interleave. If I remember correctly, all ADSL was originally all Interleave and a lot of lower tier AT&T employees had no idea what Interleave was.

EDIT: Had to fix the quote...I keep ruining it when quoting double quotes...

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
said by pm_:

Actually, I do thank you for that info. I ran across a post of yours last night after I wrote that. If I read everything correctly, you are limited on the IPDSLAM ADSL2+ to the standard DSL profile speeds, maxing at 6016/768.

That is not my understanding....it is still distance limited but the training I took said it went up to 18mb. Not sure if the CPE's for supporting that are out yet of course....
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

Tabitha Ann Judd born 10/24: The Judd Family site!

pm_

join:2009-10-11
Aurora, IL
said by Dennis:

That is not my understanding....it is still distance limited but the training I took said it went up to 18mb. Not sure if the CPE's for supporting that are out yet of course....

I was looking at the IPDSLAM FAQ here:
»IP-DSLAM FAQ

It states that the IP-DSLAM uses the same profile speeds as ADSL, maxing out at 6016/768. I'd imagine it SHOULD support a lot higher, such as 18 Mb, subject to distance and line quality limitations. The FAQ states you have two options for equipment: the Motorola 2210 or the 2Wire 2701, which I'm assuming are ADSL2 modems. So I'd think the CPE supports higher profiles, but higher profiles don't appear to be offered tiers for U-Verse HSI, at least at this point in time.

I'm assuming you were referring to those modems when you mentioned CPE...

And I apologize now for completely running this thread OT...I'm still in a holding pattern waiting for more circuits. :/

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to pm_
said by Dennis:

The motorola 2210-02-1att and the 2wire 2701HGV-B support adsl2 and adsl2+

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
said by wayjac:

The motorola 2210-02-1att (black) and the 2wire 2701HGV-B support adsl2 and adsl2+

Both the silver and black are called 2210-02-1....added the specification for black just so we're all clear. Silver will not do ADSL2 at least that's what the doc's I have say.

Those are the same doc's that say 18mb though...I guess time will tell but I I don't think the benefit of getting rid of ATM overhead would be enough to put IPDSLAM out there without higher speeds.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
The 2210-02-10xx are silver and will not make a "uverse" internet connection
The 2210-02-1att is black

The ipdslam still uses atm to connect to the cpe/modem
The ipdslam uses ip instead of atm on the at&t side of the ipdslam

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
said by wayjac:

The ipdslam still uses atm to connect to the cpe/modem

Um......that is not my understanding. There should be no ATM between the DSLAM and the CPE.

You know i only posted because I thought it would be easier to say "black" versus "silver" instead of confusing model numbers not to start a debate on who was more right.
--

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
I don't want you angry with me...........
I'll stay away from your threads

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
said by wayjac:

I don't want you angry with me...........
I'll stay away from your threads

huh? that wasn't what I was saying at all. I was just trying to learn more about IPDSLAM by talking about it here. I may work for AT&T but that doesn't mean I know everything about all technology's.
--

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to Dennis
said by Dennis:

said by wayjac:

The motorola 2210-02-1att (black) and the 2wire 2701HGV-B support adsl2 and adsl2+

Both the silver and black are called 2210-02-1....added the specification for black just so we're all clear. Silver will not do ADSL2 at least that's what the doc's I have say.

The 2210 is adsl2+., and so are most recent modems.
However all use AAL encapsulation in the firmware.
A firmware update can make all the other modems work with the ip dslam service.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
Algonquin, IL
The black 2210 is the only official supported modem for IPDSLAM. I should have said it that way.