uniqs

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

VM notification - multiple email option

It is possible to have more than one notification email address? I'd like to get an SMS on my phone and the wife's phone when we get new voice mail. Would putting more than one email address separated by commas, semicolons, ? work for a text notification?

topgun
join:2011-01-31

topgun

From the horses mouth...Unfortunately as of right now, we only have an option for 1. What you can do is set 1 e-mail w/ attachment, and 1 e-mail without.

However, I'm going to see if I can rig something up for ya...your not the only one who has asked this so send in the Feature Request to gm @ phonepower.com
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
Your email provider may have a way to forward to multiple addresses. For example, in Gmail you could set two filters. Each would recognize the Phonepower address; one would forward to your SMS, the other to your wife's.

topgun

1 edit

topgun

Ya beat me to it I was going to post some screen shots but I'm to tired tonight. Long night saving people from themselves.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

1 edit

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Sure, I can forward it... figured it was a 10 second, less than 10 line change for their backend to verify a list vs a single address.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
On my hosting provider I created a "forwarding only" account that forwards the message to the two of us. Easy workaround for me, but it's something PhonePower should implement.

topgun

1 edit

topgun to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
True but they also have to make a change on their front end plus it also increases load on their email servers. Plus can you imagine how big the feature request list is by now! Here is a small list of the features they have added.

-Softphone
-Play email in cpanel
-Advanced call routing
-Failover
-Fax Catcher

People forget it is not an easy job to keep a stable network while adding new features. There are other providers won't mention names that release features without proper testing and tell everyone they are in BETA. Sure PP could probably pump out features that are buggy, don't work properly, and make your phone service unstable. Is that what ya guys want?

My friend is a programmer and has said on more then one occasion he wish "smart people" would try to do his job for a day. Maybe someday I'll post a flowchart of his workday.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by topgun:

My friend is a programmer and has said on more then one time he wish "smart people" try to do his job for a day. Maybe someday I'll post a flowchart of his workday.

I'm a computer scientist myself, I hear yah. However, emailing to two recipients, or 10, or 100, isn't going to bother postfix running on modern hardware. The backend (wild guess - mysql) database storing this stuff is probably using a varchar field already (because email addresses can be quite variable in length) so no database schema change is needed. Just a little validation code on the html form entry field (couple inline javascript statements) and whatever they do to send on the backend (if it was php, it is truly a trivial change) and you're done.

I'll code it up for them. My consulting rate is $150/hour.

topgun

topgun

said by JohnInSJ:

said by topgun:

My friend is a programmer and has said on more then one time he wish "smart people" try to do his job for a day. Maybe someday I'll post a flowchart of his workday.

I'm a computer scientist myself, I hear yah. However, emailing to two recipients, or 10, or 100, isn't going to bother postfix running on modern hardware. The backend (wild guess - mysql) database storing this stuff is probably using a varchar field already (because email addresses can be quite variable in length) so no database schema change is needed. Just a little validation code on the html form entry field (couple inline javascript statements) and whatever they do to send on the backend (if it was php, it is truly a trivial change) and you're done.

I'll code it up for them. My consulting rate is $150/hour.

Ya love them so much...why not be a nice guy and do it for free.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by topgun:

Ya love them so much...why not be a nice guy and do it for free.

I love them so much, I pay for the service

Doing the reflecting myself *is* doing it for free. But sure, if they want to let me look at their code, I can tell them what to do.

topgun

topgun

O'come on you should work for free....that is what some of my clientele expect, ha!
topgun

1 edit

topgun to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
You and I and thousands of others pay for the service...Everyone on here is either a consultant, engineer, computer programmer, join the club dude...;) If you do it from free maybe they might send some work your way?

Hell, did you not know I work for NASA testing how condiments pour in space...and they pay me 150.00\hr plus use of the G6. Would you like to help write the automation script for me. Damn script kiddies in Indonesia can't debug code like us Americans.

So how is the weather in Cali dude? Say hi San Diego for me.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by topgun:

You and I and thousands of others pay for the service...

Hell, did you not know I work for NASA testing how condiments pour in space...

So how is the weather in Cali dude? Say hi San Diego for me.

I'm not complaining, really... it's just actually a trivial change, that they probably didn't consider. I was kinda surprised it wasn't there, that's all.

Cool job, BTW - what do you put on your business card?

I haven't been to San Diego in a while, but San Jose has been very pleasant nearly all of February.

topgun

topgun

My business card...hmmm...have not thought about that
yet? I'll get back to you...hehe
Y0tsuya
join:2000-05-13
Union City, CA

Y0tsuya to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
This is a situation when it's handy to have your own mail server. What I usually do is create a distribution list and have them send the VMs to that address. You may also want to consider setting up a private google/yahoo group?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Y0tsuya:

This is a situation when it's handy to have your own mail server. What I usually do is create a distribution list and have them send the VMs to that address. You may also want to consider setting up a private google/yahoo group?

I have my own linux box doing email for schettino.us. As I said, I *can* do it myself... sigh. Ok, I get it. No feature requests on the forum. Check
Y0tsuya
join:2000-05-13
Union City, CA

Y0tsuya

said by JohnInSJ:

n linux box doing email for schettino.us. As I said, I *can* do it myself... sigh. Ok, I get it. No feature requests on the forum. Check

Well if you're in a hurry it's probably faster to DIY and get on with your life. Last time I asked for a feature (delete VM after email forwarding), it took them a year to implement that.

topgun

2 edits

topgun to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
Click for full size
Well, if ya *can* then quit ya whining, lol. I don't want to speak for everyone but I feel when it comes requests PP takes the stance of the turtle wins the race? Instead of pumping out features and trying to be everything to everyone the concentrate on doing 3 things really well.

1. Plug and Play VoIp for the average Joe that just works
2. Cheap monthly service including awesome international call rates
3. Superior tech support

Don't get me wrong you have a great idea and thanks again for requesting it. Especially if your married or have a significant other you can both receive and respond messages together as needed.

Stewart had a great idea to use filters in the meantime with gmail to forward a second copy. I myself use them to filter out SMS message from google voice, and VM's from Youmail.com.

I had my HT-502 delivered via UPS ground because it was so heavy. Just got to know to know the right people?

PhonePower
Premium Member
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

PhonePower to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
This is on our roadmap but keeps getting pushed back in competition from more attractive things like the iphone app, credentials, android app...

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

No worries. I actually have come up with a baroque solution of my own, which for fun I will post here, although its not likely to be everyone's cup of tea...

My home network's main gatekeeper/firewall/router is a linux box. The phonepower box is inside, but 1:1 NAT to one of my static IP addresses. So, sip data flows through the router, which means it can be seen by monitor apps.

So, on the linux box, we run ncid (network caller id) with the sip2ncid plugin. Now ncid "sees" caller ID announcements coming in via sip to the phonepower grandstream box.

But wait, there's more. Created my own ncid notification plugin that sends caller id info to boxcar.io with a simple curl call, and then put the boxcar app on my iphone, and growl on everything in the house... and now, I get near real time notification of caller ID on my phone. And my TV when using my HTPC. And my desktop. And, well, you get the idea.

But indeed, at some point multiple email addresses would still be good