hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium Member
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA

hambone42

Premium Member

40 years ago today...

...I was but a young pipsqueak living in Northridge, wondering why I'd been bounced out of bed at 6:00AM, while looking up at some teetering bookshelves:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19 ··· rthquake

Photo gallery here:

»libraryphoto.cr.usgs.gov ··· ake|1971

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

Wow, I remember that day well, too. I was in Junior High, living in Harbor City, and we had a huge jolt followed by many s-waves. Since my JH (Alexander Fleming in Lomita) had been built in the 30's, we had a couple of days off while they checked the building.

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig to hambone42

to hambone42
oldies.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

You know it. Now get offa my lawn and go play on the freeway.

yj4x4
Still in love with Obama?
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Whittier, CA

yj4x4 to hambone42

Premium Member

to hambone42
Youngsters. I was driving on my way to work when it hit. Was funny seeing all the people on the freeway pulling over thinking they had a flat tire.
Oddly enough, years later when the Whittier quake hit, I was again on the freeway. Same thing as before. every body pulling over to check their tires.

TearAbite
D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite to hambone42

to hambone42
MAN! you guys are OLD! .. i remember too.. it's one of my earliest memories.. I couldnt understand why all the model airplanes hanging in my room were swaying back and forth all by themselves and i couldn't understand why my mom came running in all crazy to get me.. it's all blurry after that..

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine to hambone42

Premium Member

to hambone42
said by bobrk:

Wow, I remember that day well ...

Won't ever forget. Felt it plenty in W.L.A. Had a new baby and my first husband got us all in the bedroom doorway.