spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stachem

@reliablehosting.com

Minimum bandwidth for HD Netflix

Hi friends, what is the minimum bandwidth needed for Netflix HD on an Xbox 360 S? I currently have 3Mbit and have no issues streaming with "four bars" the "DVD" movies. I notice there is no "HD" symbol but some shows do have "HD" but they only show "three bars" when streaming. Would 6Mbit give me full "HD" (what appears to be four bars and an "HD" symbol)?

* Sorry for the quotes, I don't know what "four bars" and "three bars" (when there's HD) means.

Can anyone give me some real-world values, for example, "Hey I have 6Mbit and stream HD just fine with "four bars and the HD symbol"? ESPN3 kind of struggles a little bit too.

* Mods please move where appropriate.

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA

How do you like it? I just signed up for the PS3 version trial and am not really impressed with the selection...
--
If sexy's the goal, I'm the hat trick.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

You can thank Hollywood/cable companies for the limited new releases on Netflix. Some are saying 28 days may not be long enough, due to DVDs not selling the way they used to.

Netflix is so much better then Hulu [no ads][runs smoother].
And I have been exploring movies from all over the globe. Indian, Swedish, French, Spain.
So if American movie makers want to screw Netflix, let them, I am more then happy to watch Indie movies and imports. 99% of Hollywood films are currently crap any how.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

Midgard

join:2010-10-11
MA

said by Snakeoil:

99% of Hollywood films are currently crap any how.

No need to single out Hollywood. 99% of the movies produced WORLD-WIDE right now are crap.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to Stachem

I have 6Mb DSL and can stream HD. I can't tell you if it will work with 4Mb... I've read people say that Netflix says 5Mb is the minimum for HD but I can only find this, "For DVD-quality video and audio, you need a connection providing at least 3.0 Mbps" on their website.

For what it's worth, Netflix's idea of "HD" is not what most people would call "HD". Well, that's my opinion, at least. I call it "good quality DVD".

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Midgard

I have found a few gems on netflix..

For example the trilogy of Swedish movies starting with The gril with the Dragon tattoo.
They are trying to get it remade with American Actors [dunno why, the Swedish version was awesome].
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

Then there is that child vampire movie, the Swedish version. It was darker then the American one. Mainly because the Swedish one wasn't afraid to use a pedophile in the movie.
I think it was called Let me in.
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

But you are right, there have been to many turds released into the bowl, and not enough roses.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Stachem

Not everything on netflix is HD.