Search similar:

uniqs

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig

48 hours for a 6 year old?

»www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41511054

seems a little harsh... but i guess if you're a volume business...?

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Waldothe3rd

Premium Member

Does the term "Thought Police" come to mind?

ohdan
join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA

ohdan to jig

to jig
At least they didn't cuff him and take him via squad car. Mom mentions that they already have a therapist (presumably for the child). It is possible that he was a real threat to his own well-being.

However...

Does the 5150 have age restrictions? Six years old seems to be too young for an involuntary hold.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma to jig

Premium Member

to jig
said by ohdan:

Six years old seems to be too young for an involuntary hold.

6-year old's bring guns to school , as well as 17-year old kids (have we forgotten about Gardena High last Month?). LAUSD, by law, must cover it's ass. Otherwise every parent in the classroom will be suing the district for endangering their child.
said by linked story :

"When any student indicates a desire to take his or her own life, the LAUSD is required to follow strict protocols to ensure the safety of the student ... The safety of LAUSD students is paramount. We did the right thing here."

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig

you're right about the school, but it's worth knowing that things could be set in motion where your kid could end up forcibly taken in an ambulance (who knows if there were handcuffs or other restraints) and committed in a mental hospital not of your choosing for 48 hours, where you, as the parent, may or may not be given access for those 48 hours (they didn't say, or I missed it).

We've gotten a little ambiguous feedback from the teachers for our kids, mainly related to the son relaying a kids movie plot to his friend, in his own words, that got passed to another parent, then from other parent to teacher, then to us. Either one of my kids would go absolutely apeshit if this happened, and 48 hours away from us (if that's what happened) would probably be a lifetime scar. We've pampered them a bit, but I'm not sure a 6 year old should be in the type of mental state where a 48 hour hold in a county mental hospital wouldn't be fairly traumatic. Maybe Dogma can speak to that as a parent of older children as to resilience to something like this for youngsters. Or maybe our resident child therapy expert?

So, while we seem to understand that the school has to protect other children, I think something like this may be a wake up call to parents - if you don't work through stuff with your kid, even small deviations from normal can have pretty drastic repercussions. Kind of puts are stark limit on using school as a surrogate parent, no?

And, I'm not saying that the mom here is to blame for anything, though maybe if the kid was having a serious problem with dad being shipped away, mom should have taken a sick day or had a friend/family member stay home with him for the day. Army moms do have access to some extra resources they can leverage in situations like this (base group-moms). Of course, she was probably upset herself and barely saw past "I don't want to go to school today," so may not have been in a position to recognize the seriousness of the kids reaction. I'm rambling, but you get the point.