spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mtnmn

@pacbell.net

Satellite internet without a long contract?

So I'm moving to a rural area for 6 months (possibly a year) where only dial-up and satellite internet are available. Cell service is no good and DSL is not available in the area. I've researched several satellite providers and they all require 24-month contracts. Are there any providers that allow 6-month contracts? Could special arrangements somehow be made for this? Since there's no cell service, wireless broadband wouldn't work, right? I'd really rather not have to go with dial-up. Are there options for an increased dial-up connection with contracts 6 months or less? I'm really happy about moving the the mountains otherwise but this just puts a damper on everything.

mtnmn

@pacbell.net

OK, so I just found out about Skyfx but I see people believe they're out of business. Their website is still up, though, so what's the deal? Do they still exist? Is there another satellite provider that offers no contract or a 6-month contract? I'd pay higher monthly fees than Skyfx offers just to avoid a 1+ year contract or dial-up.

Expand your moderator at work

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to mtnmn

Re: Satellite internet without a long contract?

I know it's painful to think about. But if you're lookin' for a short term month to month connection to the Internet, it might actually become necessary to lower yourself to using a dialup.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1250H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 3 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2011

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to mtnmn

Sky FX if they are still in business is a one way satellite. Your up link is by telephone so you tie up a phone line any time you are using it.

Montana Satellite used to have and I think still does a rental system that goes monthly. iI have no idea of the cost, you would have to ask them. They also sell some other systems that are expensive put only have 12month contracts.

You might be surprised about a wirless provider if you are high on a mountain and not in a valley there just might be one on some other mountain that could reach you. Although they probably have a contract also. Even my DSL provider requires a 1 yr contract.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

just roaming

@acsol.net
reply to mtnmn

Check out satellite service for business I hear they do stuff without a contract, but it may cost more. Try alpinesatellite.com

fishermania

join:2011-02-01
Bellevue, IA
reply to mtnmn

It took me a couple of years to track down all of the WISP in my area. IN fact there are 5 separate services around I didn't know about. Where are looking to get internet setup. I can give you website to check or run a quick search for something for you if you are interested.

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to mtnmn

Well you used to be able to get HN without a contract but I dunno if they will still accept new customers on the old KU systems. The way it worked was you but the dish and modem somewhere like ebay AFTER you confirm it doesn't have a bill owed on it and then set it up yourself and call a subprovider (which someone will have to name because for the life of me I can't remember) and they would set your service up. That is how RV'ers get and keep service but with the new 9000 KA systems it is next to if not entirely impossible to set the dish up yourself without aiming equipment so I don't know how you could get away with that unless you have a good friend who is an installer.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

mtnmn

@pacbell.net
reply to mtnmn

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry about temporarily abandoning my thread. After doing more research, I'm now less concerned about satellite contracts and more just wishing there was something better than satellite in my area. But maybe there is and I don't realize it. Seems like a difficult thing to figure out.

Fishermania: sure, send me the link. I've checked a few WISP finders already without any luck. Btw, the town I'll be moving to is Mountain Ranch, CA 95245. It's a pretty small town and the house is in the woods 8 miles out of it. Unfortunately, it seems to be a black hole in terms of coverage.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

The way I find out about new isp's in my area is when I get a new phone book, see if you can get a local phone book for that area. If there is a wisp there you are not for sure out of luck. For one if there is a tower and it is a mile or more in your direction then they might transmit both a line of sight signal and non line of sight signal but the NLOS will have to be within aprox. 7 miles of your house to get a decent signal and also if you can get on your roof and see the tower over the trees or if there is a clearing line where you can see the tower then you can get a los signal from up to 15 miles away. Also keep in mind that these are straight line distances so a curvy road or many turns can be misleading about how far you actually are from the tower. You can google for the google pedometer map where you can mark your location and the location of the tower and see the exact distance between points.

At any rate, good luck.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

AdamKane

join:2010-08-24
Neosho, MO
Reviews:
·Dish Network
·Suddenlink
reply to mtnmn

What state do you live in? I have read Hughesnets contract agreement and it seems pretty liberal. It basically says if you don't return the equipment (radio transmitter and modem) within 45 days, you will be charged up to $400. This page: »web.hughesnet.com/sites/legal/Pa···ome.aspx has all of the info.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

Well I am not sure what they are talking about there but I assume that is a new thing. When I bought my equipment then the equipment was paid for and yours to keep. I still had the original 4000 and 6000 modems from my first system up untill a year or so ago and I canceled that service in 04 or 05. I paid $900 for my 2 watt system a year os so after that and they better not ever try to charge me for that again, lol. I do however have a free 9000 system so if they ask for that stuff I will gladly send that to them.
--

AdamKane

join:2010-08-24
Neosho, MO
reply to mtnmn

I visited Starbands website. They have an option of a one year contract.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
reply to mtnmn

I think if you buy a used system then there would be no contract but I am not 100% sure of this.

zeddlar

Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

This is true but HN or Wildblue will still make you have an installer put it up and try to lock you into a contract with that. You might be able to talk to starband or HN or WB and buy the equipment outright and get service without a contract like buying a new cell phone for full retail price but beware because like those phones, that equipment will cost you an arm and a leg.
--

getnia

@sbcglobal.net

Network Innovation Associates can provide satellite internet on a month to month basis. The cost is more for the service than the 1, 2 and 3 year agreements that are offered. There are discounts on the service with a 2 or 3 year agreement instead of one year. Find our more info here www.getnia.com

ConnieD

join:2011-08-21
Cut Bank, MT
reply to zeddlar

I purchased all the equipment up front for Starband, just so I could have month-to-month. It was a lot of money, paying for all the equipment up front. I was also told I would be able to set it up, as I moved location to location looking after rural mountain property. No, the "final step" requires an "authorized service representative" password. The authorized service representative even came around to solicit a bribe.

I had even purchased the Birdog satellite meter. I found out it was the "discontinued" model.

After not long Starband took it to collection, claimed I had a three-year contract.

Can you say: ripped off?

The Starband "authorized representative" was Jathco, in Conrad, MT.

If anyone knows an honest satellite internet service provider on a month-to-month basis, I am interested.