spc
uniqs

yeto
@speakeasy.net

yeto to topgun

Anon

to topgun

Re: is it possible to set PP softphone to ring computer speakers

Why don't we have the option to ring PC speakers?

How will I know if I have a call coming in if I have my headphones connected?

Thanks,
yeto

topgun
join:2011-01-31

1 edit

topgun

Some people can ring the internal PC speaker...it is just grayed out for some people like me depending on their internal hardware. If you have the headphones connected and the ringing device is not ringing them, as in the case in where I show you how to "ring the onboard soundcard with USB headphones" as always the softphone show an incoming call notification. Now if the headphones are selected as the "ringing device" then you would hear ringing just like you would on a normal phone.

Since Stew is da man in this forum....maybe he can humbly reply with some audio samples for you. I would do it but I need some rack...

PhonePower
Premium Member
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

PhonePower to yeto

Premium Member

to yeto
That's exactly what the third audio option "select ringing device" is. Not sure why it's grayed out for Top Gun, probably something specific to his setup.
said by yeto :

Why don't we have the option to ring PC speakers?

How will I know if I have a call coming in if I have my headphones connected?

Thanks,
yeto

topgun
join:2011-01-31

4 edits

topgun

I always test on at least 2 computers. In this case 2 custom built desktops, Asus netbook, and a HP laptop. The oldest computer being 2-3 years old.

Stew got it right...in which case having the option is next to worthless then because new cheap hardware is not going to make use of the internal speaker with the softphone. Lesson being learned...don't doubt Maverick and Stew the Genius, hehe
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to yeto

to yeto
said by yeto :

Why don't we have the option to ring PC speakers? How will I know if I have a call coming in if I have my headphones connected?

Many PCs share the same hardware between speakers and the headphone jack, in which case what you're asking for would not be possible. When your headphones are connected (and the softphone is not running), can you get any sound to play through the speakers, e.g. an MP3 file or Windows error notifications? If not, you have this hardware limitation. If your PC has Bluetooth (or you buy a Bluetooth dongle), you could use a Bluetooth headset, which won't interfere with the speakers. Or, use PP's Zippyphone adapter, connecting a headset to its 2.5 mm jack. Or, use a third party USB sound device, as suggested by topgun.