Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Dish Network = Horrible Customer Service

Dish Network lasted three months in my home before I went back to Comcast because of their shady billing and horrible customer service. Their India based customer service can't even give a straight answer over pricing or billing. They even tried to claim I had a contract when their promotional material stated no commitment and they canceled it after I threatened legal action. I even had to attempt a credit card chargeback over one of their fees. They got sued by Attorney Generals in 46 states for unfair and deceptive acts relating to their service and entered into a settlement with those Attorney Generals. I had DirecTV and the experience was excellent but Comcast offered a better deal and DirecTV got to be too expensive. The only reason Dish Network stays in business is they lock their customers into commitments with hefty cancellation fees. At least Comcast (in my area) answers the phones stateside with English-speaking reps. Just Google "Dish Network Complaints" and I'm not the only one with a Dish Network horror story.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
I have been a Dish customer since the 90's.
Never had the problems you stated.The only way I'd go back to cable is after I died.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Same here - TW is the only cable in town and I will NOT go back to them. Never had billing issues with Dish...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to IowaCowboy
I am certain you could search for 'Comcast complaints' and get the same types of results or even search in DSLR and get the same.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy
Comcast has many issues as well but not to the extent of Dish Network. Like including local channels in my price package when they were (in 2005) not available in my area. I also try to avoid doing business with companies that offshore their call centers because it is very difficult to deal with them. I also had issues with the equipment and they sent me a so-called refurbished remote that looked like it came out of a dumpster. And the installer did a very poor job of installation, he just pulled the wires through the walls and did not use wall plates and did NOT even ground the connection which is a code requirement as per the National Electrical Code. And when I cancelled, they tried to get me to retrieve the LNBF off of the dish (like I am going to go up on a second story roof and retrieve a dish head) and some jurisdictions have codes that make anything screwed into the wood becomes part of the structure and and becomes the property of the building owner. When I had DirecTV they properly grounded the connection and they used wall plates. Comcast does the same (properly grounded and wall plates). When I set up a truck roll, I always ask for a Comcast technician and not a contractor. With Comcast, I have had many issues with the internet cutting out, but it seems to work better when I downgraded to the economy internet speed (1.5down/768up $26.99 per month) and I have the digital preferred with sports entertainment package (my mom likes Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel which is on the Sports Entertainment Package, why I don't know but it adds $7.95 to the bill) and I have two TiVo boxes and a pace rng 110rf. I liked DirecTV, but the price increases were insane.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to Snakeoil
Dish Network since 2001. Left Comcast. Missed OnDemand for about a month and got over it in favor of better quality of service (in terms of reliability) and better Customer Support in the rare moments I had a problem - unlike when I was with Comcast and losing service no less than twice a month at bare minimal.

Verizon doesn't feel like finishing off their build-out per the terms of their franchise agreement so that's not presently an option (It has literally been stalled ONE block away for 3 years).

I'm frankly not going back to Comcast unless they offer their service for free because that's about all their crap is worth to me. I'm sure they'd find a way to hit me with some mystery charge anyway.

Dish has worked with me anytime I have a problem and their prices don't go up once every couple of seasons unlike our Comcast bill did. Even today, with America's Top 250 and GoldHD, my price is still lower than it was when I had Comcast after all their price hikes. Raising with inflation? Please.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
Where I live in Ohio you have:
Time warner [I have to have it for internet]
At&T with Uverse. I have lived here for 6 years and still no dsl or Uverse. So a big F you to AT&T.
Direct TV
or Dish. We used Dish in GA [since the mid 90's] so we stayed with them.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.