All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Match8
join:2009-03-14
Hayward, WI

Match8

[CenturyTel] Modem, Router, Firewalls???

I just got CenturyLink 3M DSL service last week. I'm wondering what the most efficient way to setup my equipment. I have a EQ660R-F1 ADSL Router into a Linksys WRT350n router.

Anyone else using the same setup? I have notice both have firewalls enabled. Should one of the firewalls be disabled. Are there any other tweaks I should be doing to streamline my connection?

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Your best bet is to bridge the 660R in order to avoid a double NAT. Do a quick search in this forum for bridging 660R if you need assistance as there are countless threads detailing this process.

Match8
Hayward, WI

Match8

My modem must have a slightly different interface than what was used in the examples I have found like the one below. I can't find a "Network Layer option" or a "Release Button" to release the ip.

Here is some of my device info:

Host Name: EMBARQ
Model Number: EQ-660R-F1
MAC Address: 50:67:f0:b2:a1:e8
ZyNOS Firmware Version: 3.70(BJT.5) | 12/03/2010
DSL Firmware Version: Amazon_se_ADSL 3.4.4.10.0.1 26/2 5:9
WAN Information
- DSL Mode: ADSL2PLUS

You can use these instructions to bridge the Embarq 660 series modem:

1. Open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.2.1 in the address bar.
2. Type in the default password 1234 and click Login. Click Ignore if prompted to change the password.
3. Click on Diagnostic listed under the Maintenance menu.
4. Select the Network Layer option and click the Release button.
5. Click the button labeled Change to bridge Mode.

Once the modem has completed the change, a message stating "Current operating mode is bridge mode" will appear on the screen and you can exit the set up.

Once you have finished that, power off your DSL modem, and power off your router. Then power on your modem, and wait for the DSL light to stay lit, and then power on your router. By doing it this way, you're making sure the router pulls an IP and you should be able to get online.

Also note that when you're in "bridge" mode, you won't get an 'Internet' light anymore, since the router will be pulling an IP instead of the modem. And if you still aren't getting online after that, leave it for about 30 minutes, then power off your router and power it back on, and you should be able to get online. You just need to leave time for the IP lease to expire so you can get a new IP

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Look under the WAN setup option and change the mode from routing to bridge. I'd then reboot your Linksys router after the change to force it to pull an IP address.

Match8
Hayward, WI

Match8

I can seem to get anything to work. Modem seems to be going into bridge mode by evidence of the internet light going out but then I can get the router to renew an ip. I have disabled the modem firewall and will have to leave it at that I guess.

Thanks to all for trying to help.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Have you tried power cycling everything (modem and router) after changing to bridge mode? Sometimes, I'll have to power cycle both devices before I can pull a new IP address. Bring the modem back up first, and wait until your DSL light is solid. Then bring up your router.

Match8
Hayward, WI

Match8

I think I have but I will retry paying more attention to detail.

Do you know if I can leave the Linksys in default modes such as Auto Configuration-DHCP or do I need to change to PPPoE and fill in all the info from the modem or does the modem still handle all the in Bridged Mode?

I really appreciate your time and effort trying to help me with this.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Use DHCP...I know legacy Embarq markets phased out PPPoE in favor of DHCP.

Match8
Hayward, WI

Match8

No luck...I made sure I power cycled each device as instructed. Must be something with my router.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

If your modem required PPPoE before you bridged it, then perhaps you are not on DHCP yet. Maybe someone with more experience in PPPoE can step in and offer a lending hand. I'm not sure if the 660 still handles the PPPoE in bridge mode, but common sense would say it does not, and you would be required to enter that information into your Linksys.

Match8
Hayward, WI

Match8

The connection is getting almost the advertised speeds and I have not had any troubles, so I guess I should leave well enough alone, for now. I'll keep looking around for info on my situation. I'm sure some other centurytel user with the same modem and router will figure it out and enlighten us at a later date.

Again, thank you so much for trying. I really do appreciate your assistance.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Were you provided with a PPPoE name/password, is it entered in your modem? If so, you need to change the router mode from Automatic/DHCP to PPPoE and enter that information in the router. Put the modem in bridge mode and power-cycle it. Turn on the router after the DSL sync light goes solid.

If not, then you probably just need to put the modem in bridge mode and leave it turned off overnight. Set the router for Automatic/DHCP, and then plug it in and power it on after the DSL link light comes on.

If you can't find a place in the modem to release the WAN IP before bridging it, then you have to wait for the lease to expire before the router will pull an IP. This can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 72 hours.

Match8
Hayward, WI

Match8

Apparently their is legacy Embarq tech support and legacy CenturyTel support. I got Embarq tonight when trying to call to resolve this bridging snafu. Sounds like I am PPPoE service. They gave me a support number to the legacy CenturyTel. I'm too tired to mess with it anymore tonight. I can see my PPPoE user name but have no idea what the password would be as I wasn't provided either when I signed up. I'll call my new support number tomorrow and see if they can help. I appreciate the help and will report back if it gets resolved.
Match8

Match8

Re: [CenturyTel] Modem, Router, Firewalls??? (solved)

I found out last night my area has not been converted to DHCP yet. With a five minute call today to support I was able to get my actual user name and account password needed to setup my Linksys router in PPPoE. Here's how it went:

I put the modem (EQ-660r-F1)in bridge mode via the maintenance screen.
I put the router (Linksys WRT350n) in PPPoE modem and filled in the USER/PASSWORD
I select the status page on the router and clicked CONNECT
I waited until the screen displayed "unable to obtain IP" and hit REFRESH which then displayed the IP and DNS's.

I didn't have to even cycle the modem or the router. All is well now!

Thanks you all so much for your patience, understanding and help!
bones200
Premium Member
join:2008-07-11
Randleman, NC

bones200 to Match8

Premium Member

to Match8

Re: [CenturyTel] Modem, Router, Firewalls???

Little late n this..DID YOU RELEASE the IP on the 660 BEFORE bridging it?
I made that mistake 3 times trying to get my router to pull an IP.
Also, as mentioned, make sure if you have PPPoE or DHCP type set connection on your router.