All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mjhjason5
join:2011-02-13
Grand Rapids, MI

mjhjason5

Reasons for a bar/tavern to move to broadband

I'm curious from a business standpoint REASONS to move to broadband. The owners of a local business are still on dial-up, but from a tech savvy person like myself, I see alot of advantages. ie. upgrade security system to IP based cams, etc.

Any other reasons? I'm very interested and kinda going nuts trying to pursuade the business owner(s) to move to broadband.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

With any business investment (such as upgrading from dial-up to broadband), there must be a business justification. The justification varies from saving money, increase network reliability, to provide features supporting business requirements. Without significant proof of having broadband would improve business, owner will keep reluctant to move to broadband.

JJMkay
@sbcglobal.net

JJMkay

Anon

Thanks for the reply,

What I'm really seeking is a 'business' justification to move to broadband...Any ideas?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to mjhjason5

MVM

to mjhjason5
As has been posted this is a basic business decision. Is there an advantage to the higher speed? Point of Sale, Credit Card scanner, inventory system etc.

Does having a Wifi hotspot make sense? If so then property needs a high speed connection.

/tom

JJMkay
@sbcglobal.net

JJMkay

Anon

I would think most new POS devices support highspeed/ethernet am I correct? Trying to see what plans I can come up with to pursuade the owners to get something better than dialup ;p

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow to mjhjason5

Premium Member

to mjhjason5
Business justification would be to offer Wifi to patrons, can't do that with dialup. Depending on the area maybe it would be a way to promote the business having free wifi, set the bar apart from others.

Unless this is some biker bar that is a total dump they should already be offering this.

A bonus would be they could stream free internet radio to play background music, can't do that on dialup either.

JJMkay
@sbcglobal.net

JJMkay

Anon

interesting to note, the bar has one of those pay-to-play jukeboxes, old outdated camera's (coax) and just short of "biker" bar, but the bar could be so much better... So im trying to come up with any ideas from outsiders prospective.. Good ideas about the Wifi, I know that would help alot..

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Sounds like a School project/assignment. Good luck!