spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Lalalina
@76.226.17.x

Lalalina

Anon

modem for WOW! phone and internet

I'm about to get WOW! service and they push me to get the rental modem, saying that it's the way for the phone to function. Can anyone shed some light on me? I'm really rooting for a Motorola modem after reading several postings here.
Thanks in advanced!
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count

I'm 90% sure you need to rent a modem if you use their WOW phone service.

Or

you can get vonage which is cheaper than WOW phone service and you can buy your own modem because vonage works on everything.
DanDT
join:2010-04-21
Naperville, IL

DanDT to Lalalina

to Lalalina
This question gets asked repeatedly, and has been answered in at least half a dozen threads. You can not, will not ever be able to have phone service on your own modem.

lalalina
@76.226.17.x

lalalina

Anon

Sorry DDT, I have looked before I asked, but did not see the same question. May be I should look harder next time.
Either ways, I appreciate your answer, but would appreciate it more if I was not scolded for it. Thanks.

Lalalina
@76.226.17.x

Lalalina to Body Count

Anon

to Body Count
thanks! I have heard several charging issues with Vonage, so maybe I'll just use the WoW! modem.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

you must use the WOW modem. But WOW DOES provide battery backup for the modem itself. Vonage does not. WOW's phone also does NOT touch the public Internet like Vonage. Instead it is 100% totally independent from the Internet. Once it connects to their network the calls are routed to the PSTN unlike Vonage where they travel the Internet and keep getting bounced around before the PSTN.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

I used a UPS for my backup. So battery backup wasn't an issue when I was with Vonage.

Haven't had any lag when I had Vonage. Sure it goes through the internet.. but I never had any problems with it. Crystal clear voice, even while downloading torrents.

Vonage doesn't charge you extra. You get a detailed view of your bill every month along with your call log inbound and outbound.

Only reason I dropped Vonage was because I used my cell phone 99% of the time. I didn't feel like paying $20 a month for a home phone I only used 1% of the time.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

your area may be different from the OPs. Especially since all the WOW issues with Routing with XO.
Saltine
join:2009-07-15
Newburgh, IN

Saltine to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

you must use the WOW modem. But WOW DOES provide battery backup for the modem itself. Vonage does not. WOW's phone also does NOT touch the public Internet like Vonage. Instead it is 100% totally independent from the Internet. Once it connects to their network the calls are routed to the PSTN unlike Vonage where they travel the Internet and keep getting bounced around before the PSTN.

You do not HAVE use the WOW modem. There are many VOIP providers that have excellent phone service at a MUCH cheaper cost. I use VOIP.MS and no one knows that I am using something other than WOW's phone service. It cost me less than $6/month including taxes and fees. Try that with WOW! phone($25-30/month).

OP please check out the VOIP forum here on DLSReports.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess to Lalalina

to Lalalina
I think the poster means you have to use a WOW modem if you have WOW's phone service. Can't use one that is purchased like you (maybe) can for HSI. What you are doing is different. True?

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to Lalalina

Premium Member

to Lalalina
I agree with saltine, I have viatlk and completely happy. Probably switching to voipo as i can prepay for 2 yrs and it comes out to $7.50 a month no really complaining
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Saltine

to Saltine
you must use the WOW modem if you want WOW Digital Phone.

lalalina
@eyhealthsystem.org

lalalina to baess

Anon

to baess
To all: thank you for your insights! You guys are all very helpful and nice.

To bru2: Yeah I have a bundle of the phone and internet. The phone is strictly for our security system @ home. I just fancy the internet speed and could not wait to drop ATT. Either way, WoW! tell me I have to use their modem or the phone wont work properly. But I did get them to drop the modem leasing fee. Cheers!

To Saltine: thank you for the suggestion. I never know of VOIP.MS. I may need to look into that.
Saltine
Newburgh, IN

Saltine to baess

to baess
said by baess:

I think the poster means you have to use a WOW modem if you have WOW's phone service. Can't use one that is purchased like you (maybe) can for HSI. What you are doing is different. True?

True, but the point is using a third party to get phone service on a good internet provider, such as WOW!, is a good and less expensive alternative. These forums are here to learn from others and help educate others in the process. I wanted to let the OP know there are alternatives.

I take issue when a statement like, "You can not, will not ever be able to have phone service on your own modem", made by DDT, is very misleading. Maybe that was not the intent but it is misleading. You can have your own modem and get phone service from someone other than WOW!.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

I'm ready to ditch my landline. I was planning to go with WOW since I already have cable and internet. How do I find the other alternatives?
Saltine
Newburgh, IN

Saltine

said by baess:

I'm ready to ditch my landline. I was planning to go with WOW since I already have cable and internet. How do I find the other alternatives?

Go to the VOIP Forum here on DSL Reports. There are separate forums for the major VOIP players, but make sure you look at the VOIP Tech Chat forum, which has a lot of discussion on the subject.

You can also do a search on Google or Bing or Yahoo...

muckmail1
@wideopenwest.com

muckmail1 to Lalalina

Anon

to Lalalina
I am also a new WOW Phone internet TV user. They insist that I rent the modem when they installed the system. Maybe it is because of the E911 information stored in the modem???
If there is a way arount the renting modem. I would like to
know how?
Thank you,
Saltine
Newburgh, IN

Saltine

said by muckmail1 :

I am also a new WOW Phone internet TV user. They insist that I rent the modem when they installed the system. Maybe it is because of the E911 information stored in the modem???
If there is a way arount the renting modem. I would like to
know how?
Thank you,

If you are going to use WOW! phone you have to use their modem because it has the phone ATA (Analog Terminal Adaptor) built into it. An ATA is required for VOIP. If you don't mind using a different phone provider, such as, VOIP.MS, Phone Power, Callcentric, etc., you do not have to use the WOW! modem. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot get E911 unless you use WOW! phone. It does take a little research but it can be done.

If you want to research VOIP, other than, WOW!'s VOIP, go the the VOIP Tech Chat forum here on DSLReports. It will be much cheaper than WOW! and the quality of your phone connection will be as good.