uniqs
share rss forum feed

OldschoolDSL
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Indian Orchard, MA

3 edits

[Rant] Customer Service Guarantee

I truly think big companies like Comcast, print out these "Customer Service Guarantees" as only marketing ploys (advertisement).

I have had Comcast for a little over 1 year. It turns out that my price plan which was grandfathered... Was quietly given an expiration date and then jumped 3x up (without notice).

Through out my service (search for my MANY post)... I kept losing signal every time it rain. It took almost 1 year for them to finally "fix" the error (it's improved, but not fixed). And then when they did "fix" it... They billed me for the "outside" repair.

I asked for a credit (many times) and never got one. The day I finally did "technically" receive a credit... Was the same day they billed me for the repairs... So I still paid my full bill (a little more then a months worth of service). So I saw no value in it.....

We can argue that it could have been worse without that credit, but the whole point of a credit is not just to lower your bill for the month.... It is so that you are left with that feeling, that you as a customer & your business matters... I feel I was jipped (slapped in the face).... It took 1 year to get credit for losing almost 2 months worth of service... Only to be double billed.

It took them 1 year to change my phone number on record. I called & visited their office several times 10+. They only just finally got it right.... My address is still wrong though. I doubt I live at a car dealership.

Today... In an effort to lower my bill (after it jumped 3x)...I only wanted to change my price plan. I do not need other services, because I get my TV for FREE (all HD over the air) and my phone bill is only $50 for the YEAR (not monthly)... I only need Internet. I was told today no matter what... I must pay "X". So if I add extra useless services, I pay "X". And if I don't add extra services, I still pay "X" (thus, no savings).

How's this for a Customer Service Guarantee... Why doesn't Comcast correct my mailing address (lets not wait another YEAR)... Credit me for the time my service was out (collectively for 2 - 2 1/2 months) .... And someone within Comcast either finds me a promo code, to which will SAVE me some money, using Internet ONLY or I end my service, sell my modem (its yours,but I'll still happily sell it) and call it a day.
--
HP Pavilion a6750f (tweaked)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 * Mac OS Snow Leopard
»www.sociallyuncensored.com

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
1- when you get it changed in person, ask them to read it back, and or get a print out of the change..you can also view your address on file on comcast.com

2-did you call in to report this time that your services were out? they will not back credit you if you did not call to report services out..otherwise, ive been out for 6 months..

3-someone find you a promo? did you call in and comcplain your bill is too high? what kind of equipment do you have in the house? i suspect a couple dvr's and boxes too....when your promo ends, your promo ENDS...you pay regular price....the promo rate is not regular price as much as consumers think it is......sometimes reps will have the ability to grant you a certain promo when you call in, sometimes not (cause you were just in one).....

4- sell their modem? then the person you sell it to buys a brick from you, rgisters in the system as stolen whne he hooks its up, and then traces back to you......

5- i love how a customer theatens theft from a company but wants a new promo....

6- sounds like you need to just leave if your not happy, cause not much will please you.
--
I'm better than you!

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to OldschoolDSL
Comcast's commitment to customer service pretty much ends with the techs and CSRs. You can write a long letter detaining all your problems and Comcast may do something for you, but probably not anything substantial. If you keep complaining, they will tell you they can't provide you with reliable service and disconnect you.

No one should have as much aggravation as you have had with Comcast -- time to move to a different provider.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA

1 edit
reply to gar187er
quote:
1- when you get it changed in person, ask them to read it back, and or get a print out of the change..you can also view your address on file on comcast.com
Done this. No resolve. It some how reverts back.

quote:
2-did you call in to report this time that your services were out? they will not back credit you if you did not call to report services out..otherwise, ive been out for 6 months..
I've memorized their protocols... That's how many times I've called in or even step into an office.

quote:
3-someone find you a promo? did you call in and comcplain your bill is too high? what kind of equipment do you have in the house? i suspect a couple dvr's and boxes too....when your promo ends, your promo ENDS...you pay regular price....the promo rate is not regular price as much as consumers think it is......sometimes reps will have the ability to grant you a certain promo when you call in, sometimes not (cause you were just in one).....
The only equipment I have is the modem. I do not need anything else or want anything else. Just The Internet. I can get FREE TV on my own and better phone service on my own.

I never joined a promo. My price plan was fixed and grandfathered in. I like it like that. Now I'm looking for a promo because that has changed (un-expecting )

quote:
4- sell their modem? then the person you sell it to buys a brick from you, rgisters in the system as stolen whne he hooks its up, and then traces back to you......
I look at it as recovery for all my lost time, effort, and to make up for my lost services. If I did sell it... I would sell it to someone not within Comcast, but someone who is using a 3rd party provider.

quote:
5- i love how a customer theatens theft from a company but wants a new promo....
I love it how a large company like Comcast can threat a customer like c**p and its OK as its standard business. I like how Comcast can theft me out of my time & services and arguably funds for lack of services. Turn about is fair play.

quote:
6- sounds like you need to just leave if your not happy, cause not much will please you.

My choices for High Speed Internet is Comcast, Comcast, and oh ya... Comcast. Sarcasm = Monopolies... Got to love them.
--

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to OldschoolDSL
I just think that comcast employee's should hold out on the rants because they would not be of any help as their service is free as it should be but dropping your service for a lot of people basically isn't an option and I think they take that into consideration on rates and how people are treated in certain areas.I have only comcast as a cable provider in my subdivision. Service has never been a problem for me I am just bitter over the modem rental rate going up twice in little over a year with the same damn modem.If they would offer the EMTA'S at my local best buys then me and comcast could be friends again,but it seems to me they only offer that in areas where they have competition.I mean they don't want to piss off customers that can use another company so they give them the option to have their own modem rental free. That "depends on the local market"crap don't fly with me if the can provision one modem in one area they can do them all.I would not mind knowing why you were charged for the service outside of your home. Like what type of damage and where the damage was and how whatever it was got damaged.I don't see how anything outside could be your responsibility because they run the drops and are responsible for burying it or running it so it can't fall or be ran over with anything so I am curious as to how they billed you with outside work.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA

1 edit
reply to nerdburg
quote:
Comcast's commitment to customer service pretty much ends with the techs and CSRs. You can write a long letter detaining all your problems and Comcast may do something for you, but probably not anything substantial. If you keep complaining, they will tell you they can't provide you with reliable service and disconnect you.
I have written them a few letters (all proper, polite, and detailed), but its resolved nothing and I have never gotten a reply.

I've walked into a few offices and called many times. I try not to take it out on the reps whom I speak with... I'm sure they're trying to do their job... But I'm also sure someone is lacking... Not really sure whom to blame.

It would be just my luck....

Sarcasm = "Sorry sir, we'll ending your service because you have not yet learned how to take our s**t up your a** with a smile.

quote:
No one should have as much aggravation as you have had with Comcast -- time to move to a different provider.

Agreed. No one should. I would happily move on, but sadly... My choices are Comcast.

Ever see that T-mobile ad? You know.. The one where the same guy is dressed as Verizon & AT&T, where they make the joke... "No choice is still a choice"... Ya, that about sums up my issue.
--

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

quote:
I look at it as recovery for all my lost time, effort, and to make up for my lost services. If I did sell it... I would sell it to someone not within Comcast, but someone who is using a 3rd party provider.

It's still theft. And if Comcast wants their equipment back, and you no longer have it, you can be billed for it at retail prices. Since you probably can't sell it at full retail (otherwise the purchaser would have already done that) you ultimately can be on the hook to either pay, or have a ding on your credit. Is is really worth that?

said by OldschoolDSL:

quote:
I love it how a large company like Comcast can threat a customer like c**p and its OK as its standard business. I like how Comcast can theft me out of my time & services and arguably funds for lack of services. Turn about is fair play.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
said by cdru:

said by OldschoolDSL:

quote:

It's still theft. And if Comcast wants their equipment back, and you no longer have it, you can be billed for it at retail prices. Since you probably can't sell it at full retail (otherwise the purchaser would have already done that) you ultimately can be on the hook to either pay, or have a ding on your credit. Is is really worth that?

After being a victim of ID theft and also getting devoiced. I could careless what my credit report says.... Its as low as it possibly it can go anyways.

In fact my only report that I value personally, is that of my own & not of any credit agency.

Such would not phase me. So yes, it would be worth it.

said by cdru:

said by OldschoolDSL:

quote:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Please teach Comcast this.

Ethics... My 1 wrong for the MANY wrong done by Comcast... Would be a drop in the bucket.
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
Funny how Comcast Reps are more worried about their hardware... Then trying to please their customers.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to OldschoolDSL
said by OldschoolDSL:

After being a victim of ID theft...

As the victim of something being stolen from you, I would have thought that the concept of stealing something that doesn't belong to you would have meant more. Apparently I was mistaken.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

I love it when you do cancel than Comcast comes crawling back to offer you promo after promo after you have already signed up with someone else. Then when you do tell them you left because of poor service, they again cry that there are no notes about it. Well, there wouldn't be any notes since that would leave a paper trail.

Their latest ploy is to offer me a $200 VISA card to cancel my FIOS and come back to them. That MIGHT even cover the ETF but why leave when I have WAY better service than Comcast ever gave me.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to OldschoolDSL
So cancel your service and switch providers. Speak with your wallet.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

beachintech
Premium
reply to OldschoolDSL
No comcast reps have posted in here.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by OldschoolDSL:

After being a victim of ID theft...

As the victim of something being stolen from you, I would have thought that the concept of stealing something that doesn't belong to you would have meant more. Apparently I was mistaken.

I take my lead after the company which has stolen my money, for services not fully provided.
--

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

So cancel your service and switch providers. Speak with your wallet.

I'd be more then happy to, but as stated... My choices are Comcast, Comcast, and oh ya... Comcast.

Some how having no choice seems to be a choice in my corner of the world
--

Lightnspirit
know it all.

join:2009-11-08
Vancouver, WA
reply to OldschoolDSL
you do have choices... dial-up/dsl in most area's or satellite internet. I have read your review before and followed this thread even.. no one should be this unhappy with there ISP. You may want to consider dropping internet all together for some time. You really should be worried about your credit report.. having bad marks and poor credit leads to being more depressed and unhappy.. witch it sounds like you already are. Good luck in the future.

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
said by Lightnspirit:

you do have choices... dial-up/dsl in most area's or satellite internet. I have read your review before and followed this thread even.. no one should be this unhappy with there ISP. You may want to consider dropping internet all together for some time. You really should be worried about your credit report.. having bad marks and poor credit leads to being more depressed and unhappy.. witch it sounds like you already are. Good luck in the future.

DSL is not serviceable in my area.

In life, I'm very happy. Just not happy with my service with the only high speed internet provider I have.
--

gchris2203

join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN
Again you could switch to a satellite ISP if your that unhappy..oh wait its ridiculously expensive to install and per month..if your complaining about your price with Comcast I would love to see your face when you heard about those prices.

Comcast doesn't charge you for "outside" problems. When they come to your house and fix things inside your house and you do not have the service protection plan..then yes you do get billed. They may have worked on something outside but they also may have fixed things inside or related to your house. Of course their not just going to refund any and all money pertaining to trouble call charges..if they did it would be pointless to charge it because everyone complains when they get billed for something and would call to have it removed.

Have you actually read the customer service guarantee? and what it covers and in what scenarios you can receive appreciation credits for? Or did you just read that its a guarantee and then you applied that to any and everything? When you have as many subs as Comcast does your bound to have a few troubles every now and then..Reason you hear about Comcast complaints more than others? because of the number of customers that they have.

When it becomes to much to deal with as a subscriber or you do not like how you have been treated you cancel your service and move on to a new provider..sitting there acting as if you have no other choices is incorrect because you do..you have just chosen that for the price and service you get with Comcast it is the best option.
--
Look at it this way DSLR mods if it were not for people like myself your job here would be boring...your welcome

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Lightnspirit
said by Lightnspirit:

you do have choices... dial-up/dsl in most area's or satellite internet.

Ya, and who needs electricity or indoor plumbing either.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
said by KrK:

said by Lightnspirit:

you do have choices... dial-up/dsl in most area's or satellite internet.

Ya, and who needs electricity or indoor plumbing either.

Agree, the claim that dial-up / satellite can compete with DOCSIS is asinine.

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN
To compare the need for internet to needing electricity is asinine.

Everyone has choices..if these companies are so bad you know what a smart person does? They speak with their wallets.

Their simply pointing out the truth which is he does have choices he could choose that the headache this entire situation has caused him is not worth it and he could go without internet. Nobody is saying he is wrong to be mad because when you go through problems for so long its only natural to be mad. What is wrong is thinking their are no other alternatives.
--
Look at it this way DSLR mods if it were not for people like myself your job here would be boring...your welcome

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to OldschoolDSL
Generally speaking, Comcast takes care of good customers. Good customers dont sell other people property and good customers pay bills on time.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
reply to gchris2203
said by gchris2203:

To compare the need for internet to needing electricity is asinine.

Agree with that too. But saying dial-up is a viable alternative and to "vote with your wallet" is like saying, power your house with a generator 24/7 rather than use the overpriced power company. (I know electricity is a necessity and internet isn't)

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Generally speaking, Comcast takes care of good customers. Good customers dont sell other people property and good customers pay bills on time.

+1 you do hear from what seems to be a lot of customers saying they have had troubles whether it be with service or billing. That number though is only a very small percentage of the overall customer base. The very overwhelming majority of customers have rock solid service and no troubles with billing..you just hardly hear from those customers on sites such as this one.
--

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Generally speaking, Comcast takes care of good customers.

Really? Like how? Giving them discounts and promos?

S_engineer
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL
reply to nerdburg
said by nerdburg:

He's not alone. Thier "product" is pretty good if you can get it to work. Getting it to work is where the aggravation comes in. The CSR's are rude and uninformed. The techs they send never fix the problem. But for me, the alternative is the Death Stars (AT&T) PUverse. Its sad that so many other countries consider our invention infrastructure and we don't!
--
"Thanks for the dance... and cut yourself a slice'a throat! "
- Curly (HOI POLLOI, 1935)

beachintech
Premium

1 edit
Yeah, no tech ever fixes any problem. ... a blanket statement to make. The good techs and experiences FAR OUTWEIGH the bad....
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

gchris2203

Lafayette, IN

1 recommendation

reply to S_engineer
said by S_engineer:

said by nerdburg:

He's not alone. Thier "product" is pretty good if you can get it to work. Getting it to work is where the aggravation comes in. The CSR's are rude and uninformed. The techs they send never fix the problem. But for me, the alternative is the Death Stars (AT&T) PUverse. Its sad that so many other countries consider our invention infrastructure and we don't!

Between Installs and service calls I end up in quite a few homes over the course of a month. My overall Rework percentage which is an average of Service on Install and Repeat Service calls for the last quarter was 4.6%. So to sum it up for every 100 jobs I roll on we go back on less than 5 of them...most of those are related to things not under my control such as equipment failure or customer education (Customer changed the tv to wrong input, customer changed their computer so that it has to dial out for int..ect..ect).

So to try and summarize and say the techs never fix a problem is just shows an all around ignorance on the subject. Techs in the industry typically do great all around work and there is more good than there is bad. Because one person has a unique job where it was not resolved right away doesn't make it the norm.

and to Nerd they take care of their customers by providing fast and reliable internet, tons of channels most of which are in HD and to those that choose there is a cheap and reliable home service that includes all the bells and whistles most other traditional phone providers charge extra for...they do plenty the problem is most people want handouts and free money and if they don't receive it than guess who is the bad evil corporation? yeah well you know the answer.
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to gchris2203
I guess you missed the point. You said he has choices for Internet.

Yes, he does. And your examples are tantamount to someone having the "choice" to get electricity or not.

Basically, you can "choose" to accept from the 1 provider, or you can "choose" to do without. So, really, moot. No choices.

The alternatives aren't.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

OldschoolDSL
Premium
Indian Orchard, MA
reply to gchris2203
said by gchris2203:

Again you could switch to a satellite ISP if your that unhappy..oh wait its ridiculously expensive to install and per month..if your complaining about your price with Comcast I would love to see your face when you heard about those prices.

Comcast doesn't charge you for "outside" problems. When they come to your house and fix things inside your house and you do not have the service protection plan..then yes you do get billed. They may have worked on something outside but they also may have fixed things inside or related to your house. Of course their not just going to refund any and all money pertaining to trouble call charges..if they did it would be pointless to charge it because everyone complains when they get billed for something and would call to have it removed.

Have you actually read the customer service guarantee? and what it covers and in what scenarios you can receive appreciation credits for? Or did you just read that its a guarantee and then you applied that to any and everything? When you have as many subs as Comcast does your bound to have a few troubles every now and then..Reason you hear about Comcast complaints more than others? because of the number of customers that they have.

When it becomes to much to deal with as a subscriber or you do not like how you have been treated you cancel your service and move on to a new provider..sitting there acting as if you have no other choices is incorrect because you do..you have just chosen that for the price and service you get with Comcast it is the best option.

DSL is not serviceable in my area.

Dish is not high speed (arguably), but even they require you to have a phone line for their services. Phone services is not serviceable at my address.

Customer Guarantee includes services, correct? Would be silly not to. If I was out of service 2 - 3 months, I should get a credit, right? Should it take 1 year to get that credit? Funny how I finally get it, after I get billed for the work done outside my home.

Do you work for Comcast?
--