uniqs
share rss forum feed

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom

2 edits

With Millenicom You Can Save $10 Monthly On WiMAX!!

I'm posting this in two forums, because it pertains to both of them.

Today Millenicom rolled out its WiMax only plan. It offers unlimited downloads, apparently, for $39.99, $10 less than the price charged by Sprint.

There have been persistent anecdotal indications, not backed up so far by incontrovertible data, that those who purchase WiMax through Sprint have a superior customer experience to those who purchase WiMax through Clear in terms of network management/throttling. On the DSL Reports forum, for example, there are far more user reports of draconian throttling from Clear users than there are from Sprint users. This is in spite of the fact that both companies use the same Clearwire 4G network for their plan.

Assuming the anecdotal indications are correct, and that the Sprint network management system is more reasonable than the Clear management system, that raises the question as to whether the Millenicom plan will be on the Sprint network management system or on the Clear management system. That will probably not be known until folks start purchasing and using the Millenicom plan.

Also a tad disappointing is the fact that so far the only plan Millenicom is offering requires you to pay full freight for a brand new device. One can only hope that eventually Millenicom will also offer a BYOD plan.

Despite all of that, I have to admit, as a Sprint 4G customer, I am VERY tempted. I have had a horrible customer experience with Sprint these past 4 months, and my gut tells me I might be able to get out of the ETF because of that. So I am looking at Millenicom's new plan very seriously.

Roosterdude

@spcsdns.net

Re: With Millenicom You Can Save $20 Monthly On WiMAX!!

Unless you only need service within the Wimax footprint, this isn't for you. It is going to be a while before the 4G system is built out enough for most of us.

There are unlimited deals out there that include 4G and 3G fallback:
www.wirelessnwifi.com/Unlimited4G'

We have been using it for a couple of months, and based on the indicator lights on our modem, we use 3G as much as we do 4G. So far no throttling or overage notices, we are pretty pleased with the coverage and support we get.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Thank you VERY much for pointing this out to me. I was getting darn close to buying this today! I totally did not realize that this plan did NOT have 3G as a backup, whereas my current Sprint plan DOES have 3G backup. So I think I'll stay where I'm at for now.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to criggs
I'm on a grandfathered Sprint 3G plan. Is there a way to upgrade to a 4G plan and keep 3G unlimited?
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
No, I already tried.

In my case, after some thought, I decided to take the plunge since 4G worked extremely well in my area.

So I'd say before taking the plunge, test 4G in your area first.

Sprint offers a one-day 9.99 4G test. When I tried to do that, it wouldn't take my credit card, for some reason, but that may work for you. In my case, when that failed, I purchased a brand new 4G account (and my credit card worked fine for that!) instead of upgrading my grandfathered unlimited 3G plan, and test-drove it for 30 days before returning it and getting my money back. During those 30 days, I established to my satisfaction that 4G performance in my area was good.

After returning that modem, I upgraded my grandfathered unlimited 3G to unlimited 4G/5 gig-capped 3G.

A factor which should weigh in your decision also is, assuming 4G is operating properly in your area, how much traveling do you do, and how much do you use your connection during those times. If you do a lot of traveling, and if you can establish to your reasonable satisfaction that 4G is NOT available in most of those areas, then I WOULD NOT UPGRADE, even if 4G performance is good in your area.

In my case, I only travel with my laptop out and about NYC, with the occasional semi-annual trip to DC, so, while it's nice to have 3G as a backup on my account, my need for the 3G is not that great any more.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
for a fixed internet, is 4g much faster in real world performance?

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
I'm not completely clear what you mean by fixed Internet, since we were talking about the question of whether to upgrade from 3G to 4G.

However I can tell you that between 3G and 4G there is an ENORMOUS difference.

Before my 3G connection went kerblooey last September (still unrepaired over four months later), I was getting download speeds around 900k and upload speeds around 700k. By way of comparison, here's my speed today on my 4G:

As you can see, that's over a tenfold increase in download speed and about a 30% increase on upload speed; totally worth it, if it works, and is available. Yes, Verizon Wireless LTE's faster, but LTE is so expensive, and has such absurdly low caps, that I don't think it's worth even two seconds of consideration.

AntiDope

@spcsdns.net
reply to Roosterdude
said by Roosterdude :

Unless you only need service within the Wimax footprint, this isn't for you. It is going to be a while before the 4G system is built out enough for most of us.

There are unlimited deals out there that include 4G and 3G fallback:
www.wirelessnwifi.com/Unlimited4G'

We have been using it for a couple of months, and based on the indicator lights on our modem, we use 3G as much as we do 4G. So far no throttling or overage notices, we are pretty pleased with the coverage and support we get.

I am with you, this has been great. After trying the Virgin Mobile deal, it was a relief to find something reliable and reasonably quick. I have not been to a 4G area as of yet, but I consistently get 1.5Giga down and 6-700 up. The Virgin modem was so slow I would have been hard pressed to get 5GB in a months time. Hard to believe that the Virgin and the Wirlessnwifi deal use the same system!

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
That's actually very interesting. I had always figured that if two providers were using the same network in the same area then, most likely, the results would also be the same.

Along those lines, my Sprint 3G went kerflooey almost five months ago, and I concluded that that would mean that it would still be kerflooey in my area, even if I switched from Sprint to someone else on the same network, e.g. Millenicom.

But after reading your message suddenly I'm not so sure.

Crusade7

@sprintbbd.net
reply to criggs

Re: With Millenicom You Can Save $10 Monthly On WiMAX!!

We switched from Millincom to Virgin Mobile becuase of price.
If When V/M kill unlimited we are going back to Millinicom.
They have great customer service That actually works to fix your issue.And a much better connction on the same network/Modem that VM uses(sprint).

If we had 4g in our area we would not hesitate to sign up with Millinicom again.
No contract and better service is a no brainer.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Very interesting, thank you. The implications for me are interesting.

At this time I have the combined 4G/3G service directly from Sprint. My 4G connection is 90% functional (good download and upload speeds, but the connection drops about every 1 to 5 days), and my 3G connection is only 10% functional (I experience connectivity problems about once every 30 to 60 minutes, for about 5 minutes).

Going by what you say, this might mean that when and if Millenicom chooses to offer a similar combined service off of the Sprint network I might find my 3G dramatically improved.

Or not.

In addition, Wireless 'N' WiFi offers the combined 4G Clearwire/3G Sprint NOW. So, similarly, I might find their service to also be dramatically superior, as far as 3G is concerned. Hmmm. Wonder if they offer some money back trial period.

Of course, hovering over all of this is the fact that so far I have experienced none of the throttling on the 4G network that reportedly has plagued Clear users. Debate rages over whether

1) that's just coincidence or
2) whether Sprint definitely has a more consumer-friendly throttling system than the other 4G Clearwire providers, or whether
3) Clear definitely has a less consumer-friendly throttling system than the other 4G Clearwire providers.

If 1 or 3 is true, then going with Wireless 'N' WiFi will probably not result in noticeably superior or inferior 4G service for me. On the other hand, if 2 is true, then switching to the Wireless 'N' WiFi 4G service could really screw me. Hmmm.

Which leads one to the not-particularly-brilliant conclusion that one can never know until one actually samples the Wireless 'N' WiFi 4G/3G service.

Or until one actually samples the Millenicom 4G/3G service, when and if it becomes available.

Like I said, hmmm.

TruckerTom

@spcsdns.net
said by criggs:

In addition, Wireless 'N' WiFi offers the combined 4G Clearwire/3G Sprint NOW. So, similarly, I might find their service to also be dramatically superior, as far as 3G is concerned. Hmmm. Wonder if they offer some money back trial period.

It looks like Wireless N Wifi have eliminated the contract deals, everything is month to month now, see: '»www.wirelessnwifi.com/Unlimited4G'
So if I am doing the math correctly, it looks like it would cost you $95 to try it for a month.

We have been using it in an over the road truck since December, and so far so good. Great people to deal with.

criggs

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Thanks for spelling it out for me. When looking at it like that, I have to say that's a bit too rich for my blood, so I think I'll pass.

It would be different if I needed 3G a lot of the time. My current 3G experience is so miserable that I would be willing to try anything. However, 70% of the time I'm on 4G, which is working okay for me at the moment, so my 3G need is not that great.