All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00

Voip.ms - anyway to access voicemail, from outside....

I know I can access the msgs fine with any SIP client, and connection to the internet.

This was more for my parents, whom I've switch to voip.ms as well.
One question they asked that I didn't have an answer to.

say, you can only use your Cell phone or Office phone..
and would like to check on voice-messages on the voip.ms line, is there a way to do that?
Bogtrotter23
join:2009-06-14
East York, ON

Bogtrotter23

You could check the callerid of calls from the cell and office phones, and have them go to an IVR messsage. Something like: 'Enter 1 to ring through, or enter a valid extension'.

The right extension would forward the call to *97, which would let you check any voicemail messages.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT

geek to Gami00

Premium Member

to Gami00
Yep. Call your DID number. When voice mail picks up hit *. Enter mailbox number and #. Enter password and #.

I think that's what you are asking for.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state

crazyk4952 to Gami00

Premium Member

to Gami00
Most POTS voicemail offers a dedicated number to call in and check voicemail.

You can accomplish this with voip.ms:
Get a DID for $.99 and point it to your VM box. When the VM picks up, enter * followed by your mailbox number and PIN.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by geek:

Yep. Call your DID number. When voice mail picks up hit *. Enter mailbox number and #. Enter password and #.

said by crazyk4952:

Get a DID for $.99 and point it to your VM box. When the VM picks up, enter * followed by your mailbox number and PIN.

Crazy, what is the advantage of your solution compared to Meskinct's solution? I'm just trying to figure that out. Thanks!

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

1 recommendation

crazyk4952

Premium Member

Good question.

If you call your main number, then your telephone will ring. If there is anyone home, they will likely answer the phone, instead of it going to voicemail. Even if no one is home, you will have a missed call to clear from your phone when you get home.

With the dedicated number, this does not happen. You get routed directly to your VM.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Another way to accomplish the same thing for free, at the expense of extra numbers to remember, is with SIPBroker or iNum access numbers.
appy0
asdf
join:2010-09-08
San Francisco, CA

appy0 to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

Even cheaper could be to get an IPKall number and send it to a voip.ms SIP number (or even the free inum number@inum.net).
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

These are fine ideas (IPKall or iNum) but in each case it would depend on whether or not the DTMF tones would pass through (to control the voicemail functions).
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

I tried a selection of iNum and SIPBroker access numbers and I was able to access my mailbox. Of course, that's not to say it will work 100% of the time as it probably depends on the quality of the donated access numbers.

Either my IPKall number expired or it's down at the moment as all I got was a busy signal when I tried it.

m.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

The specifications for iNum include being able to carry G.722 broadband, so iNum should certainly be able to carry some DTMF.

I agree, the results may be more variable with SipBroker and with IPKall....
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to Gami00

to Gami00
This is simple and free, though it may not be the most reliable:

Get a Localphone account. Add your parents' cell phones and office phones as calling numbers. Get an iNum for their VoIP.ms account set it to go directly to voicemail. Add the iNum as a contact on Localphone. Set your location on the Direct Dial page and you'll see a local number (probably area code 647) for that contact. When they dial that number, it should go immediately to their VoIP.ms voicemail.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

Most POTS voicemail offers a dedicated number to call in and check voicemail.

True and true. Even my cell phone carrier provides a DID for direct access without calling my own number.

Everyone has great workarounds and added-cost solutions, but voip.ms (and every other carrier) could add some value for their customers by providing a generic DID for voicemail access.

It may just be that not enough customers have asked for this, but here are some reasons they might choose not to offer this:
1. They make an extra $1 a month from people who want this feature.
2. They get incoming usage fees from those who are on applicable plans and dial their own numbers.
3. They keep voicemail on different servers and they don't want the attendant hassles of maintaining a list of which number to call to reach various servers.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

I just don't think that the demand is there.

IIRC, Voip.MS used to offer a toll-free number to call to check your voicemail. This was a year or two ago, and they had a small extra fee for this service.

They don't do this anymore. I just don't think many folks used it.

----------------------------------------------

To my mind, a more useful service is for voicemail messages to be e-mailed to the customer in addition to being on the website, and also have the option of having an SMS alert of e-mails. Some providers do offer these features.
The Wiz0
join:2010-01-31
Seabrook, NH

The Wiz0 to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Comcast offers a dedicated number to use for checking your VMX without ringing your home/office phone. I've even created a speed dial entry on my cell phone as follows: Comcast VMX Access number, 4 second pause, my office number,#,followed by my pass word. Works like a charm and no extra charge
Bogtrotter23
East York, ON

Bogtrotter23 to Gami00

to Gami00
After seeing the suggestions, I prefer mine of using Voip.ms's IVR to direct the caller to either ring through or enter a PIN number to access his voicemail messages.

You can not do this with most providers because most of them do not have an IVR, but with voip.ms, it is a breeze.

I use a version of it myself, so that when I call, I get a request to enter a 'valid extension'. If I enter the pin number, I hear the messages.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Gami00

to Gami00
Probably as simple as POTS cost more so extra DID cost is easily absorbed for special numbers to call voicemail.
Bogtrotter23
East York, ON

Bogtrotter23 to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

To my mind, a more useful service is for voicemail messages to be e-mailed to the customer in addition to being on the website, and also have the option of having an SMS alert of e-mails. Some providers do offer these features.

voip.ms emails voicemails to you. I don't usually listen to them, preferring to get them by contacting the server via the phone.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Thanks!

burgerwars
join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

burgerwars to geek

to geek
said by geek:

I think that's what you are asking for.

That's the way I've done it. You just need to remember your mailbox ID. Not free for incoming if they're not on the unlimited (3,500 minute) monthly fee plan, but so are the calls you're receiving.