spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jzw42
join:2011-02-14
Atherton, CA

jzw42

comcast/xfinity newbie - questions re: installation

Hi! I have been on DSL for 12 years (and on Dish as well), and am looking at switching to an Xfinity triple play package. I have a few questions about installation:

1) I've read that there's a $7/mo modem lease fee, so I'd like to just buy a new modem instead. If I buy this beforehand (e.g., from Amazon), and have it when the installer comes, will they install using mine instead, and I can avoid the $7/mo additional fee?

2) I've read that the Moto SB6120 is good - will this work for 20Mbps, etc. with Xfinity?

3) How do they hook up the phone? I'd like to port my current phone number (on AT&T) and phone setup to CDV - can I use the existing phone wiring? Where do they put the CSV modem? Can this go outside or do they need to hook it up inside somewhere, drilling additional holes for the cable line to it?

4) Is it safe to assume that the coax to the TV box can just go to where the TV is currently (like it does to the Dish box I have now)?

5) I have an existing wireless AP on my DSL line. Is setting it up with the cable internet modem (e.g., the SB6120) simply a case of plugging it in, and setting it up for DHCP from the Comcast public network side?

Many thanks for your help!!

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by jzw42:

Hi! I have been on DSL for 12 years (and on Dish as well), and am looking at switching to an Xfinity triple play package. I have a few questions about installation:

1) I've read that there's a $7/mo modem lease fee, so I'd like to just buy a new modem instead. If I buy this beforehand (e.g., from Amazon), and have it when the installer comes, will they install using mine instead, and I can avoid the $7/mo additional fee?

2) I've read that the Moto SB6120 is good - will this work for 20Mbps, etc. with Xfinity?

3) How do they hook up the phone? I'd like to port my current phone number (on AT&T) and phone setup to CDV - can I use the existing phone wiring? Where do they put the CSV modem? Can this go outside or do they need to hook it up inside somewhere, drilling additional holes for the cable line to it?

4) Is it safe to assume that the coax to the TV box can just go to where the TV is currently (like it does to the Dish box I have now)?

5) I have an existing wireless AP on my DSL line. Is setting it up with the cable internet modem (e.g., the SB6120) simply a case of plugging it in, and setting it up for DHCP from the Comcast public network side?

Many thanks for your help!!

1)Yes
2) Yep perfect
3)-
4)yea
5)yes

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to jzw42

to jzw42
you generally need to lease a EMTA (phone modem)....very few areas allow yoou to purchase them...you can buy your own modem for hsi.....

yes it will work fine

they can port your number so long as its able to be ported...they will use existing wiring....they will place the emta where ever there is a cable jack and phone jack side by side...if there isnt, they will place it need demarc/distribution to make it easy to run lines...it needs to be inside, garage/basement...attics/crawlspaces are no-goes as temps/moisture will kill the emta...if they need to run lines they willl

yes coax will run to the tvs

yes, dhcp....no ppoe....
jzw42
Atherton, CA

jzw42

SuperNet33, gar187r - OK, this is very helpful! Thank you so much!

Re: CDV - I was just thinking that since I use a wireless phone base station with handsets, I don't really need to use existing wiring. As such I suppose I could get away with just hooking up the EMTA and SB6120 next to each other (is it safe to assume that Comcast could use a splitter inside the house like this?), then plug the phone base station into the EMTA and the wireless AP into the SB6120.

Thanks again!
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66 to jzw42

to jzw42
Using a separate modem for HSI will work fine if signals are adequate but you will still be paying Comcast rent for the EMTA. If you are going to be paying rent for the EMTA you might as well use it for the HSI. In areas that Comcast lets customers purchase EMTA's they can be purchased from your local Best Buy. I believe they are around $150.

I have an Arris EMTA and a Mot SB6120 sitting next to each other and are both owned by Comcast but I only pay a single $5/mo rental fee. When I upgraded to D3 Ultra 2 years ago Comcast did not have any D3 EMTA's so 2 devices were necessary.
jzw42
Atherton, CA

jzw42

Oh....so the new EMTAs support both phone and HSI? I thought you needed a separate EMTA for phone and a separate cable box for HSI (the Comcast website isn't clear on this).

But having a single box would be ideal for me (especially if I stick the phone base station and the wireless AP near each other)!
jzw42

jzw42

Another quick question - if the installer brings two modems (EMTA for CDV and cable modem for HSI), would the total lease cost for the modems still be just $7 (or $5, or whatever the cost is)?

Thanks again everyone for all of your help

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to jzw42

to jzw42
do not place a wireless device right next to the emta.....wayyy too many issues ive seen from the wireless device causing issues with the emta...keep it a couple feet away if possible (tuck the emta behind/side of a desk)

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to jzw42

Premium Member

to jzw42
said by jzw42:

Another quick question - if the installer brings two modems (EMTA for CDV and cable modem for HSI), would the total lease cost for the modems still be just $7 (or $5, or whatever the cost is)?

Thanks again everyone for all of your help

If you are getting phone and internet the installer will use just a emta. The emta is a phone adapter and modem.
If a best buy has the Arris TM722g for sell you can use that and save you the $7.00 a month rental
Darkplayerz
join:2011-02-05
Philadelphia, PA

Darkplayerz to jzw42

to jzw42
If you plan to use sb6120, you need be a bit careful. I got one 2 week ago off amazon for comcqst installation and I'm having some trouble syncing it. Ended up renting their modem for the time being.
jzw42
Atherton, CA

jzw42 to Caddyroger

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

If you are getting phone and internet the installer will use just a emta. The emta is a phone adapter and modem.

This sounds like exactly what I need!
jzw42

jzw42 to Darkplayerz

to Darkplayerz
said by Darkplayerz:

If you plan to use sb6120, you need be a bit careful. I got one 2 week ago off amazon for comcqst installation and I'm having some trouble syncing it. Ended up renting their modem for the time being.

OK, I'll look into the EMTA more - if I end up getting a discrete modem, then I'll probably lease one, then try to get my own, then return the leased modem.
NewfieGuy37
join:2011-02-18
Mount Pearl, NL

NewfieGuy37 to jzw42

to jzw42
Hello ....

1) the modem is $5 ...but you can buy your owned modem is your choice ...

2) yes it will work with Xfinity ...

3) you can port your number over and it will take day or 24 hours , its how you call into comcast tech support ... they will have tech come out , check the lines on the pole and to the home and go from there sometime they have lineman come out if needed ...

4) yes and no its depend , its the tech call mostly ...

5) it can work but check with the tech first ...

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

He will have to get an emta. Just getting a modem will not do. He will still a emta for the phone which he would be charged rental fee's forit
NightOwl0
join:2010-08-15

NightOwl0 to jzw42

to jzw42
Porting phone numbers generally takes at least a week to 10 days. Digital phone interval calendar has to be followed and dates vary for the company (ie, Verizon, Frontier, Vonage, AT & T). It is extremely important that you call Comcast first as they will contact AT& T to make arrangements. Once the number is ported and service installed, Comcast notifies your provider to release the number.

Never cancel current phone service without another provider as your number could be lost.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to jzw42

MVM

to jzw42
You are getting some conflicting answers, so here is the correct answer:

In most Comcast areas, if you want phone service, you are required to lease an emta from Comcast. The emta splits one incoming line into phone service (regular phone line wire) and internet service (ethernet). I have a Netgear WNDR3400 wireless router 1 inch away from the leased emta (Arris TM602), connected by ethernet, and there are no problems. The phone line comes out of the emta and gets plugged into the nearest wall jack (in my case), and this feeds all the phone jacks in the house. I have a two-way splitter at the wall jack, with one side feeding in from the emta, and the other feeding out to my phone (and computer faxmodem, etc.) in that room.

Some Comcast areas allow you to buy the emta, but it is only sold at a Best Buy that has a Comcast desk. It has also been reported that Comcast still requires their technician to install this emta, even though the box says "self install", and there is a fee for the install.

IMO, it is such a long payback period (in technology years) if your area allows you to purchase an emta, that it pays to rent. This way, you are always covered for emta failures, and you can always get the latest model. Up to you, really (if available).

BTW, the overall cable wiring goes like this:

Incoming line goes to 3-way unbalanced splitter. The best leg off of there goes to the room where the emta is. there is a balanced two way splitter there. One feeds the emta, the other is for cable TV (feeds a DTA). The other two lines from that three way splitter are direct runs to other rooms in the house. So, there are actually two splitters prior to the emta, and everything still works perfectly.
jzw42
Atherton, CA

jzw42

said by owlyn:

You are getting some conflicting answers, so here is the correct answer:

OK, this summary is exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much!

I'd like to get the 20Mbps (or thereabouts) Internet service, in order to do this would I have to get the "preferred plus" triple-play package? (It is hard to infer this from the website, which is filled with marketing spiel...)
jzw42

jzw42 to NightOwl0

to NightOwl0
said by NightOwl0:

Comcast notifies your provider to release the number.

Yes, I found on their website order page that they ask for your number, and will take care of porting and terminating the AT&T account. Hopefully it will be as seamless as it seems

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to jzw42

MVM

to jzw42
Your best bet is to call the 1-800-COMCAST. Tell them your are _considering_ a switch from your current provider, so what can they offer you to convince you to make the switch. After all, you'll need to change your email address, get used to new channels- you are really on the fence about it and just called to see if it is worth the hassle. Don't take the first deal. Keep nicely asking for more.