uniqs
awebber
Premium Member
join:2003-04-02
Gloucester, ON

awebber

Premium Member

VMBB2Go: EVDO vs. 1xRTT

I posted my speeds in another thread but I think it's not for discussions. This is a reading at 1pm, through a Cradlepoint router.

Someone (sorry I already lost the thread) said this must be 1xRTT and not EVDO. I can't see a way to find that out when I'm connected through the router (I know the info's on the VM app).

I looked on wikipedia and I see the max speeds are 0.3/0.15 and typically half that. I had hoped to use this with VoIP which might be (theoretically) possible with EVDO A or B, but certainly not with what I'm getting!

I can live with this but would prefer not to of course. Is there anything I can do, other than move to another location and another tower (which is not convenient)? Or am I going to learn to live with this?

Thanks!
=aw
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Those speeds are ridiculous. You're paying Sprint for 600k down, 350k up, pure and simple.

Ask for a credit and insist they fix it. If that market wasn't ready they shouldn't have sold subscriber spaces in the first place.
awebber
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

awebber

Premium Member

Thanks, this is a VM prepaid plan (set up to bill on demand, not recurring). I'd be happy to get my $40 back as at these speeds I'm probably not going to exceed the 1GB I'd get with the $20 Wal-Mart plan. Based on what I've seen of VM CS, is it worth trying?

Thanks again!
=aw
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

Sorry, I don't know what VM CS is, or perhaps I do know but I'm not recognizing the abbreviation.
awebber
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

awebber

Premium Member

Sorry, Virgin Mobile Customer Service.

I've seen nothing but bad things about them. I might be willing to spend an hour on the phone with them to save $20 (I have a headset ) but not so much to spend an hour and be refused.

=aw

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22 to awebber

to awebber
Since you are getting above 140k you are on EVDO.

you should take the usb dongle and a laptop out for a ride... if they improve in the general location then you might be able to fix the issue with an antenna of some sort... check out this site for some antenna information: »evdotips.blogspot.com/ (the layout is a bit confusing but scroll down and on the right is the list of topics).

also don't switch off your $40 plan or you wont get it back...

and yes talking to VM customer service gains you nothing... I consider VM a self service type of product

Virgin Mobile forum is here: »Virgin Mobile Broadband

edit: Just got to thinking you could also just wander around your house/apt/whatever and see if you can get better speeds and if so re-position the cradle point at that location.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by dib22:

Virgin Mobile forum is here: »Virgin Mobile Broadband

Thank you that thread seems to be ignored with this discussion.