Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ancpratt

join:2010-10-05
Smyrna, GA

SB6120 Link Light Now Flashing Consistently

Hi all,

I see that there are many recent posts about the Motorola SB6120 modem on here, mostly related to speed and disconnect issues but for me, my 6120 has been performing perfectly except for one thing that I noticed start to happen about a week and a half ago: the LAN side link light is flashing constantly and consistently now for some reason. I know for a fact that it only flashed before during any data transfers then would go solid when the traffic stopped. I've taken all wi-fi devices off of the network and shut off all PCs on my LAN but the link light keeps on flashing.

I came across a few older forum posts stating that the constant flashing link light indicated the newest firmware was pushed down and installed on the modem. My firmware version information has not changed since I purchased the modem 9 months ago. I'm not at home to verify the version number right now but I know it's the old September xx 2009 version date that came from the factory so it looks as though I did not receive a newer version at all. Channel bonding has been active on my modem for some time now so I don't think that has anything to do with it either. I'm just curious of why the sudden flashing.

Does anyone have this constant blinking as well with their link light? Thoughts?

lineofsight

join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL
Mine does the same thing. I have firmware SB6120-1.0.2.4-SCM01-NOSH dated Nov 24 2009.

Alsmith1

join:2003-06-09
Brimfield, MA
check firmware version....the 1.0.1.8 had the light only flash with data movement....1.0.2.4 has the light always flashing

Al

taurusgl

join:2007-07-30
Turlock, CA
Yeah I noticed that after the firmware upgrade as well.

ancpratt

join:2010-10-05
Smyrna, GA
reply to lineofsight
Ah, OK. I was mistaken and you're correct lineofsight... I have 1.0.2.4 dated Nov 24th, 2009 as well.

That explains it and thanks guys.

Regards.

topoftherive

join:2011-03-19
Westport, MA
reply to ancpratt
To make it short, I have the sb6120 and just recently it blinks all of the time on charter. I spoke with Linksys (my router), motorola (modem) and charter who reset my service at least 6 times. You are correct, the modem should not be constantly blinking when there is no traffic. I even connected the computer with an ethernet cable and it constantly blinks. This elimates the router problem but not the modem or charter. I am as stuck as anyone else. I reset the entire network at least 10 times, reset the modem, reset the router,changed the name of my network to try out a different configuration. The sb6120 blinks all of the time. If anyone comes up with anything, let's get together and solve this one. I spoke directly to motorola a few times. They just give you the run around and said that it should always blink and that is normal. I don't believe it. When a piece of equipment performs and acts a certain way when you first install it, and then for some unknown reason, it starts to behave irratically, there is something wrong. It is the obligation of the ISP and the modem manufacturer to get together and solve it instead of giving you the wrong answer.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by topoftherive:

To make it short, I have the sb6120 and just recently it blinks all of the time on charter. I spoke with Linksys (my router), motorola (modem) and charter who reset my service at least 6 times. You are correct, the modem should not be constantly blinking when there is no traffic. I even connected the computer with an ethernet cable and it constantly blinks. This elimates the router problem but not the modem or charter. I am as stuck as anyone else. I reset the entire network at least 10 times, reset the modem, reset the router,changed the name of my network to try out a different configuration. The sb6120 blinks all of the time. If anyone comes up with anything, let's get together and solve this one. I spoke directly to motorola a few times. They just give you the run around and said that it should always blink and that is normal. I don't believe it. When a piece of equipment performs and acts a certain way when you first install it, and then for some unknown reason, it starts to behave irratically, there is something wrong. It is the obligation of the ISP and the modem manufacturer to get together and solve it instead of giving you the wrong answer.

the flashing of the link light is supposed to happen it is part of the firmware from 1.0.2.4 on

my TWC system just went to 1.0.3.5 last night.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to ancpratt
Dumb question, but why would a firmware update, all of a sudden start making the LAN light flash all the time?

I mean, that's the purpose of the light, isn't it, to indicate network traffic/connection?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

topoftherive

Westport, MA
reply to motorola870
Where did you find that firmware? I looked for a few hours yesterday to see if there was new software but was unsuccessful.

topoftherive

Westport, MA
reply to cork1958
The light is supposed to blink only when there is traffic between the modem and router or modem and your computer. When everything is idle, the light is supposed to be a solid blue until you request something again. Not withstanding are automatic refresh pages, auto updates, and sneaky cookies lurking around.

As far as the firmware goes, I am as confused about the issue as anyone else when it comes to causing the link light to constantly blink all of the time. I am going to try the new firmware to see if there is a change. If something positive occurs I will post the results. I am using 1.0.2.4

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to topoftherive
said by topoftherive:

Where did you find that firmware? I looked for a few hours yesterday to see if there was new software but was unsuccessful.

That person is on Time Warner Cable.

You KNOW Charter is ALWAYS way behind everyone else!!

said by topoftherive:

The light is supposed to blink only when there is traffic between the modem and router or modem and your computer. When everything is idle, the light is supposed to be a solid blue until you request something again. Not withstanding are automatic refresh pages, auto updates, and sneaky cookies lurking around.

As far as the firmware goes, I am as confused about the issue as anyone else when it comes to causing the link light to constantly blink all of the time. I am going to try the new firmware to see if there is a change. If something positive occurs I will post the results. I am using 1.0.2.4

Yes, I know the light ISN'T supposed to be flashing all the time. I was posting out of confusion as to why a firmware update would suddenly make it do that?

--
The Firefox alternative.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to topoftherive
said by topoftherive:

How do you propose to do that?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to cork1958
hey I was at 1.0.1.4 before the 1.0.3.5 update so it was a big jump.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

said by topoftherive:

How do you propose to do that?

Yeah, how?

You CAN'T do it yourself.
--
The Firefox alternative.

hershizzle

join:2010-04-23
West Richland, WA
I noticed this too. I have been on firmware 1.0.1.8 forever and was having speed issues. Every time I disconnected my router and hooked my modem to my computer I would get my speeds.

Anyways I bought a new shiny expensive router today and when I got into my network box I noticed my link light was flashing and my receive light was blue. Only the receive light was blue though.

My speeds have been amazing today since the router install though, even though somehow Charter pushed the dreaded 1.0.2.4 update onto my 6120..

»www.speedtest.net/result/1211053159.png

topoftherive

Westport, MA
reply to ancpratt
Charter came to my house yesterday. Although he told me that there was nothing wrong with my system, we disassembled the whole thing and reset it up. As usual, the link light is still blinking. The service tech told me that they all do. I informed him that it only started 2 -3 weeks ago. The tech did not work for Charter, but was a tech for a servicing company. But he did say they we don't have the docsis 3 service yet although I don't think that has anything to do with it.

According to the specs on the Motorola site, the link light should be a solid blue and blink only when there is data transfer. About the firmware, I use 1.0.2.4. I printed out the logs, and I don't see any red flags. Moto and Charter don't have any REAL answers except to say that it is normal. I don't believe them.

topoftherive

Westport, MA
reply to cork1958
If I had the answer, I would post it. I don't know where to turn at this point. Charter said it was normal, so to Moto. But the specs on the modem on the Moto website said the light should only blink when there is traffic, otherwise it should be solid. The modem is working but the light is annoying.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to topoftherive
Old firmware blinks with unicast traffic to the CPE.

New firmware blinks with broadcast traffic to the CPE, so you see blinks for all the ARP and DHCP requests on the local subnets. This is normal for Motorola modems.