uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
reply to Ghub

Re: Sip Credentials now available for everyone

said by Ghub:

I would like to use my iPad with bluetooth headset for phone calls over wifi and 3G.

This is a tough problem, because Apple does not support the Bluetooth HFP (hands free profile) on iPad or iPod Touch. So, even the high-end softphones such as Groundwire or Bria won't work.

Four possibilities come to mind:

1. You can buy a hardware device which plugs into the headset jack on your iPad and pairs with the Bluetooth headset. See »www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/448···pad.html .

2. There are some kludge workarounds that allow you to listen with a headset paired to iPad, but speak through the built-in mic.

3. If your device is jailbroken, you might find something on Cydia that will work.

4. Give up and settle for a wired headset for your VoIP calls.

Ghub

join:2011-01-28
Austin, TX
Thanks Stewart.

I might consider jail breaking after the new iPads become available in April.

I have a net book and they are useless computing platforms. The Intel Atom processor should be called Atom Ant. I've already dumped Windows and moved to Linux. That helped but the screen size is restrictive.

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
Ummm no they are not...maybe in your opinion..but every professional tech I know in the area loves them! Try taking an Ipuke to an office and troubleshooting any IT\IS problem...good luck with that.

People forget netbooks were designed to surf the net, check email, run office, play a few simple games, be very light and good on battery life, they not designed for people to make full blown multimedia workstations out of. (rolls eyes)
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody

gbuffum

join:2003-10-20
South Burlington, VT
reply to PhonePower
Seems like I can connect sometimes using SIP credentials, but most of the time I get a 403 forbidden code. I can duplicate this on both a desktop computer connected to Comcast internet using X-lite softphone and on a Sprint EVO using sipdroid over 3g. I'm only connecting one of these at a time since there is a 3 device registration limit according to phone power.

Does anyone have an idea what might be my problem?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to topgun
Netbooks are a dying breed....

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
ya 'right »liliputing.com/2009/02/netbook-s···try.html

and I have 100 acres of ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya for a 1.00, lol.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Seriously? That article was from 2 years ago.
Something a bit more modern..

»arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/···mage.ars

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
Sure...something coming from the 'ole Stevy would never be biased...

If you must have a link here ya go:
»www.trefis.com/articles/38164/gr···11-02-11

But ya have to be utter stoned or stupid if you need a link to tell ya that netbooks are popular... Just to go to any BestBuy and look at the selection and see how fast they sell out.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
They are a dying breed. With the tablets, not just the iPad, becoming thinner and more powerful along with phones like the Atrix you get a lot more for your dollar. I hardly know anyone that uses a netbook anymore as a table or smartphone can do just about the same thing.

The sales have been on a decline and will continue as such.

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

4 edits
Yeah, with the economy in the shitter everyone can can afford a 500.00-800.00 dollar toy! Not to mention it can only run one OS, has limited unreadability, and is less powerful...

Lets be real a kid out of high school can get 200.00. But how many people have 500-80.000 blow on a shiny toy. Here is what I-Crap can't\won't do!

-Can't run any other OS
-Has a very small storage capacity
-Is less powerful then a netbook
-Limited software titles compared to Windows...pick XP, Vista, or 7
-No external optical drives
-Limited Multitasking if any?
-No real keyboard
-Ethernet port?

Get my drift
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Nope, I don't. They are going the way of the dodo as laptops get smaller, smart phones more powerful and tablets get better. Sorry though...

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
said by ptrowski:

Nope, I don't. They are going the way of the dodo as laptops get smaller, smart phones more powerful and tablets get better. Sorry though...

A. Not everyone wants\need a bulky laptop including me. I would just love to lug around a full sized laptop around JFK or everywhere I travel. Thanks but NO Thanks!

B. Not everyone want\needs a small smart phone much less want to pay a monthly fee associated with it

C. Ya don't have to be sorry not everyone can be perfect

In other words netbooks serve a niche market well and as long as they continue to do so they will be around. As anyone that actually owns one can vouch for they are not going away anytime soon.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

They're getting squeezed out from the low-end laptops, mostly. I love my triple boot acer (Hacintosh, Win7, and Meego) and find it very useful, but the $350 it cost with upgrades to ram and disk put it pretty much on even footing (today - it's a year old) with a low end 13" laptop that will best it in speed, and only be a little less portable.

So, yeah, eventually the tablets will take over the reduced functionality for less weight/size niche, and laptops will move into the "under $300" price niche, and netbooks will have no purpose.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
Don't see that happening why would manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot? Sorry not happening anytime soon. Look at apple their Ijunk is not worth 800.00 but people gladly pay it. Even if laptops become 300.00 people will still pay 100.00-200 for a cheaper netbook because the economy is in the shitter and maybe that is all they can afford.

Don't mean to pick on anyone but come on! Some people still work hard and do manual labor for 8.00 dollars and hour. 50.00 is still a days pay, just because a handful of people make an hour what alot of people do in a day is not the norm.
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
I don't know about you but the economy is on the up, companies are hiring again. And iPads start much lower than $800. A netbook is a very small niche tool, it is dying.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to topgun
said by topgun:

Don't see that happening why would manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot? Sorry not happening anytime soon. Look at apple their Ijunk is not worth 800.00 but people gladly pay it. Even if laptops become 300.00 people will still pay 100.00-200 for a cheaper netbook because the economy is in the shitter and that maybe all they can afford.

It is happening. I doubt that netbooks will disappear completely, but they've already peaked as a device class and are on the decline towards the niche that tablets used to occupy. Essentially they'll flip positions - tablets will be mainstream, mass market, and netbooks will be for those few who really have to be in that segment.

But this is all off topic

On topic, Getting the SIP settings to actually work with a client.

1) try different clients - if one won't connect, just move on.
2) use the proxy ip address for the domain, instead of setting a proxy. Phonepower didn't say what the domain is, and I have no idea - using the proxy as the domain works for me in about 8 out of 10 clients.
3) check your firewall. SIP needs some UDP and TCP ports open.
--

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
reply to ptrowski
Believe what ya want
»www.netbooklive.net/netbook-sale···10-2080/
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
The answer is, in 2010, when the iPad and now (as noted by every tech report covering CES) android tablets are everywhere, netbook sales took a nosedive:

Something more recent than 2009:

»tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/17/···pad-yet/

And the projections for 2011 are not good
»techlogg.com/2010/12/netbook-sal···sus/1812

That's what we're saying - 2009/2010 was the peak for Netbooks

(and I LIKE netbooks...)
--

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
We will just have to wait in see I don't like tablets and I hope the Ijunk finally dies one day, and the American people have a nice affordable tablet...
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by topgun:

We will just have to wait in see I don't like tablets and I hope the Ijunk finally dies one day, and the American people have a nice affordable tablet...

They will. It will run Android. The one from HP will run WebOS. One from Intel's partners will run Meego. The iOS device will still sell tens of millions, too.
--

topgun

Thanks for da info John and Ptrowski

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to topgun
Again you keep linking to articles from two years ago, things were a wee bit different then. John is on the money, they were a good niche product then but they are in a decline.

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
True, but they will always be around That being said how come PC manufacturers can't make an affordable tablet PC, like a netbook.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by topgun:

True, but they will always be around That being said how come PC manufacturers can't make an affordable tablet PC, like a netbook.

touchscreens are more expensive than lcds. Plus, usually no fans in a tablet, different engineering problem dealing with that. Netbooks are using cheap last-gen notebook hardware. Tablets are not.
--

drumzaddict

join:2009-12-09
Cleveland, OH
reply to PhonePower
Used a netbook in a pinch for a couple on-the-road DJ gigs with serato. It got the job done, but the hardware lacked the horsepower to deliver a clean mixing experience. They are nifty, I can see a linux oriented sysadmin or datacenter cagemonkey being in love with one, but its a small market, and touch is so much "cooler"

topgun

Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
Ya but no keyboard, blahh Should have got a dual core, hehe
»www.google.com/products/catalog?···Q8wIwAg#
--

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Why waste the money? You can get a bluetooth keyboard for a tablet.

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
way off topic... but I just got one of these for the wife's Ipad: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049PN806
pretty cool

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Looks it, nice setup.

diver858

join:2002-12-13
La Jolla, CA
reply to PhonePower
I have one very good reason - Kapanga softphone: FREE OUTGOING FAX on my laptop - no need for a phone connection while traveling...