how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whistlebird

join:2005-11-24
Englewood, NJ

TWC Multi-Room Samsung DVR cannot Record up to 4 Shows

Today, I had installed TWC whole house DVR Service which required the installation of 2 New Samsung boxes, one of which is the Samsung DVR SMT-H3272.

I did this for two reasons. The convenience of watching a recorded show in another room, and two, the ability to record up to 4 programs as compared to the Scientific Atlanta DVR box's ability to record only two.

When I attempted to record three shows, I received the message that I had to cancel one of the other two shows.

I contacted Tech Support, and they told me that there was a mistake, and that the Samsung DVR could only record two and not four shows maximum as advertised.

I blew my stack at the rep, and asked that my old boxes, regular box, and regular SA DVR be returned and re-installed.

There is big misrepresentation here as everybody told me that it could record up to four programs, and now they say only two.

The literature from Samsung for this box which I Googled, also states that the box has a capacity of only recording up to two shows.

Something is wrong here.

Anyone have the same experience or using some other type of TWC equipment that has 4 show recording capability?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

2 edits
Click for full size
said by whistlebird :

I contacted Tech Support, and they told me that there was a mistake, and that the Samsung DVR could only record two and not four shows maximum as advertised.

Every cable company (TWC, Comcast, FIOS, etc.) DVR currently offered (from Motorola, Cisco, and Samsung) can only record 2 shows at once.

Where did you see an advertisement for one that records 4 at once? Do you have a link to such an ad?

The ads and webpages I've seen that state "4 shows can be recorded at the same time" are for "SignatureHome" service which includes 2 DVRs. The Whole Home DVR service includes 1 DVR with the ability to record 2 shows at once.

SignatureHome:
»www.timewarnercable.com/Corporat···countand
»www.timewarnercable.com/Corporat···lable-wi

whistlebird

Englewood, NJ
To answer your question, the concept of one DVR recording up to 4 shows was conveyed to me initially by a Customer Service Rep who I contacted about a Showtime issue, and then after it was fixed, I asked about Whole House DVR which I heard about from somewhere. He said it was new, and could record up to 4 shows, and would only cost me $8.00 more a month since I already had one regular DVR. He then told me to contact the sales department at TWC.

The rep in the Sales Department repeated the same thing that this previous rep told me about cost and recording time.

Finally, the technician who came to my house today to install a new Samsung box networked to a new Samsung DVR told me again the same thing.

To make matters worse, when I called Tech Support about the inability to record 4 shows, the rep there told me that it was a mistake, that initially they were told 4 shows but it was meant to be two.

So no, I did not see an ad but I spoke to supposedly knowledgeable people at TWC who all were told the same thing. and corroborated what I originally was told about the service.

What is wrong with this picture?

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
Signature series which included *TWO* whole house DVRs was launched first giving a signature series subscriber the ability to record 4 shows at once.

Shortly after, whole house DVR became available for any customer without signature series. I can see where some confusion would come from.

One whole house DVR is just a DVR with moca. Any DVR has two tuners, so two records per DVR.

I doubt 3 people in a row told you 4 recordings when at least 2 of them CLEARLY knew you were getting one DVR box, thats just my opinion.

The fact of the matter is, 2 records per DVR.

whistlebird

Englewood, NJ
Although you find it hard to believe, every person I spoke to said 4 recordings on the one DVR when I asked the question. The initial rep, the sales rep, the Installing Technician, and the final rep/Supervisor to whom I complained. This is how they sold it to me.

The Supervisor admitted it was a mistake as they were originally told 4 recordings but then a bulletin came out changing it to two.

I clearly understand that one DVR can record two shows, as I had one previously without Whole House capability. I agree that one Whole House DVR is just window dressing.

It appears that what the Installer should have brought me was two network capable Samsung DVR's to make this system work ideally. Otherwise, the present arrangement is wasted money, and just like I originally had with exception of streaming a show into another room to make me a couch potato.

whistlebird

Englewood, NJ
reply to whistlebird
See this posting I found by Night Owl. It also implies recording up to 4 hours plus cost of converter. I do not think I was the only one confused by the TWC rhetoric.

»[TWC] Whole House DVR Standalone Service - NYC area

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
Yeah I could see how it can be confusing and the TWC reps definitely need to be more clear on this particular point. Most of the writeups I've seen on it highlight the 4 show recording capability and footnote the 2 DVR requirement to get it.... and some footnotes are much smaller and further away than others.
--
If it's important.... back it up... twice. Even 99.999% reliability isn't enough sometimes.

whistlebird

Englewood, NJ

1 edit
reply to whistlebird
Well friends, the end result is that I am having my old equipment returned, and reinstalled.

When I explained to the Customer Service Rep that the advertising FAQ refers to two DVR's in Whole House that allows recording of 4 shows, she said that I could have two DVR's but instead of having to pay just the extra $8.00 as it was originally presented, I would have to pay an additional $12.95 for the added DVR service. For the inconvenience, they would give me 6 months DVR service free.

Like I said earlier, I was willing to pay an extra $8.00, not $20.00.

In other words, $20.00 on top of the DVR service I already had.

TWC marketing and sales should definitely get their acts together.

Whole House DVR is a poorly presented service/feature that ends up making the customer pay a lot more in reality.

From a sales perspective, since THEY made the mistake, they should have offered me the additional DVR for the extra $8.00 on top of my current DVR service to keep me as a happy customer.

Instead they offered me the above which results in me being an unhappy customer, demanding that my old equipment be reinstalled, and a loss to them of a few extra dollars, if you see my point.

Like the saying goes "Buyer Beware"!

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
If true, the reps are missing the big keyword.... "up to"

# Whole House DVR – allows customers to record up to four channels at one time, enables them to record a TV show and play it back in any room in the house, and provides the capacity to store up to 150 hours of HD content.

Remember when broadband started up, everyone offered speeds up to X, and 90% of us never hit X.

The up to part was often and quickly forgotten.

NightOwl0

join:2010-08-15
reply to whistlebird
My original post was copied from the first informational sheet we received, stating 4 programs at once, no up to. Looking at the second handout, it now says 2 programs at once. Haven't had any requests for the service and did not realize the difference until reading this topic.