Premium Member
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

lunarPlexus to criggs

Premium Member

to criggs

Re: February 2011 Sprint 4G WiMax speeds

said by criggs:

Incidentally, just for grins, I started experimenting with putting my hand in various spots around the modem, and, BOY, did it make a difference to my readings.

There's another stat which also seems to fluctuate regularly, and which I was also able to affect by playing with my hand positions, and that is the TX Power stat. When left alone it fluctuates between -3 and -5. With my hand jumping around I managed to bring it down to -7. Anyone know what that stat is for?

What are you, a Jedi? Seriously, this device (Overdrive) is one of the flakiest pieces of shit I have ever been involved with.

triptrailz
@clearwire-wmx.net

triptrailz

Anon

U1901 USB modem with docking bay in nyc upper east side. I have 3 towers relatively close to me according to the clearwire towrs . i have usually 3 bars in smartview. I average about 5-10mbps and 3-1.0 up mbp for almost 10 days now with only 1 disconnect.

I used to live in an area where there was 1 tower very close to me. At that previous location i had the same 2-4 bars from sprint smartview and i had about 1-5mbps, with 5mbps at the max and .4up mbps at the max.

It is not the modem that is at fault. It has to be the towers. i also notice how there can be different strenthes of signals depending on where the modem is. It is quite difficult to predict where the antenna or USB modem should be for the best quality connection but through trial and error, one can determine where the best spot is.

I'm extremely happy at the moment and i dont think i'll even bother with the new MiFi hockey puck replacement for the overdrive.

criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to lunarPlexus

to lunarPlexus
said by lunarPlexus:

Seriously, this device (Overdrive) is one of the flakiest pieces of shit I have ever been involved with.

I'm not on an Overdrive, just a humble 4G modem, the U600.
criggs

1 edit

criggs to triptrailz

to triptrailz
said by triptrailz :

i have usually 3 bars in smartview. I average about 5-10mbps and 3-1.0 up mbp for almost 10 days now with only 1 disconnect.

You're almost identical to me, except that your lower end on upload is a bit lower than mine. Mine is about .6. Sorta makes sense, considering we're both on the East Side of Manhattan, NYC.

In addition, I too have experienced dropped connections, which I never had even in the best days of 3G. On average my 4G connection dropped about once every two days starting on January 7th, though that was highly variable. More accurate would be to say that my connection dropped every 58 hours, plus or minus 41 hours. Put another way, my connection was dropping every 17 hours to 4 days. However, at the moment, I've gone over 6 days with no dropped connection, which represents the first time that has happened since the dropped connection problem began on January 7th, so they may have fixed it.

Here's what I'm getting today:

criggs

criggs

And here's what I'm getting today: