daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: FCC & SamKnows

If you have power outages, have you considered buying a UPS? That should eliminate the need to reboot your equipment in most cases. Obviously, if the outage is longer than the battery run-time, you will have to restart (hopefully, this will not happen very often).
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I've always had a UPS since I got my first computer years ago. They are essential if you have a nice computer. The APC one I have currently is old and on its second battery which is over three years old now. There is just enough time, with it fully charged, for the Power Chute software to put the computer into hibernation. I will be getting a new UPS when I get a new computer. I have held off because at least one Dell machine I am considering has a 500 watt power supply and that requires a very expensive (to me) UPS. The UPSes I have had sell for about $100 and the one I will have to buy if I get one of the Dells I like the most sell for over $300. It's the video card requiring the pure sine wave UPS. The Back-UPS that I have always bought in the past is simulated sine wave and won't work with the newer, more powerful video cards. (I'm waiting for Dell to offer some nVidia cards as I can't see spending that much on a UPS).

This is not relevant though to having to unplug the routers and modem and reboot and then plug back in if the modem goes off line. I've always had to do that. The Netgear has a strange sized plug head and it takes up two plugs on the UPS because of it. The Linksy router has a square, fat plug head that also takes up two plugs on the UPS. So, now I have no plug for another piece of equipment (I have to put it on a power strip instead). The current model of the UPS I have has two more plug outlets but it is not true sine wave so I have to wait until I decide on a computer to decide on a UPS.