share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151

4 edits

If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

I've been pondering this thread for some time so here goes...

If you could be CEO for a day and add a product, feature or make a change to the way BHN does things what would it be? Think long and hard about your answer. Be specific and be prepared to defend your decision (in all the right ways of course) because someone might disagree with you.

There are some ground rules though. This thread is not for rants, complaints or lower my bill stuff as there are other threads and forum sections for such things. Everyone is expected to remain civil and respectful and on topic at all times. Any deviation from the above and I will request that the moderator remove your post.

The purpose of this thread is to openly discuss what you feel would be a great addition to BHN products, services or an improvement in some way and also to put you in the position of CEO making those big decisions for just one day.

You just never know who's watching and you might have a great idea that makes everyones life just a little bit easier or more enjoyable.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

jajohn80

@rr.com
Bring back the old method of grouping favorites together at the top of the listing so I can easily scan what is on without having to work my way through all of the channels. The old way also allowed me to easily go backwards to a program by using the up button, the current method makes me continually press the favorites button until I loop around again.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to BHNtechXpert
Here is one that I have always felt to be lame:

When I press NEWS 13 on my remote it should go to channel 1013, not 13. I hate watching SDTV on my HDTV's!

Also, all HD channels should have been mirrored to their SD counterparts. IE: 1 = 1001, 999 = 1999.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
Actually not a bad idea at all but I'm almost positive that the remotes come hard coded that way. I wonder what it would take to change the mask from hard coded to soft. As for part two of your idea....easier said than done but I totally get it and have quietly made the same wish a few times.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
I actually went through some remote class by the UEI company a few months ago. Those are programable buttons, I cant remember how but I think its in the directions that come with it. It should be able to be reprogramed (I think there are 3 other buttons that dont do anything out of the box that can be programed the same way). I think those buttons are called macro buttons

If I were CEO, Id like to drop the analog and run as close to uncompressed HD as possible.

LonghornXP

join:2005-08-27
Largo, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
If I were CEO I'd focus more on offerings while still keeping prices within reason. Prices can be higher though but the value has to be present.

Simply put I'd look at my competition and make sure I had everything they had and after that I would beat them blindly with more offerings. Even if my costs were higher I still think customers would pay higher prices (within reason) and stay loyal as long as they felt their provider would always be one step ahead of the competition.

This means having nearly all available HD channels, On Demand offerings, getting Tivo boxes that work with all offerings, having the fastest internet available etc.

Yes this would cost more money but being in business must always be focused on the long term point of view and I firmly believe as long as your pricing doesn't go crazy high you can always keep customers with you because they trust that your offerings will "always" be the best around. Customers "WILL NOT" bother switching companies with all the hassles when they won't get anything new of value. Even if a company offers a cheaper price as long as your pricing is decent (even if higher) people won't bother switching. They also might not switch if it means losing offerings.

If you have the best offerings of the bunch people can look at a cheaper price but if they see much slower internet speeds, 30 less must have HD channels, less On Demand offerings, no Tivo HD DVR, etc....the list goes on they will clearly see "why" this service costs less.

People have always believed that you get what you pay for which is exactly why many people pay thousands of dollars more for HDTV sets to get brands they trust even if that same TV is of lower quality compared to a lesser known brand that costs a thousand bucks less. Perception is a very powerful medium and if I were the CEO I would focus on perception however I would back up that perception with my offerings as opposed to just my brand name loyalty.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by LonghornXP:

If I were CEO I'd focus more on offerings while still keeping prices within reason. Prices can be higher though but the value has to be present.

Simply put I'd look at my competition and make sure I had everything they had and after that I would beat them blindly with more offerings. Even if my costs were higher I still think customers would pay higher prices (within reason) and stay loyal as long as they felt their provider would always be one step ahead of the competition.

This means having nearly all available HD channels, On Demand offerings, getting Tivo boxes that work with all offerings, having the fastest internet available etc.

Yes this would cost more money but being in business must always be focused on the long term point of view and I firmly believe as long as your pricing doesn't go crazy high you can always keep customers with you because they trust that your offerings will "always" be the best around. Customers "WILL NOT" bother switching companies with all the hassles when they won't get anything new of value. Even if a company offers a cheaper price as long as your pricing is decent (even if higher) people won't bother switching. They also might not switch if it means losing offerings.

If you have the best offerings of the bunch people can look at a cheaper price but if they see much slower internet speeds, 30 less must have HD channels, less On Demand offerings, no Tivo HD DVR, etc....the list goes on they will clearly see "why" this service costs less.

People have always believed that you get what you pay for which is exactly why many people pay thousands of dollars more for HDTV sets to get brands they trust even if that same TV is of lower quality compared to a lesser known brand that costs a thousand bucks less. Perception is a very powerful medium and if I were the CEO I would focus on perception however I would back up that perception with my offerings as opposed to just my brand name loyalty.

How would you approach the keeping prices lower standpoint. What would you do if a content provider came to you and said pay more or else?
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

Cisco Kid

@rr.com
I would like Easy Gadget let you answer phone calls......

I would like to see RR offer a different free Internet Security Software.....I have never taken advantage of the current offerings...I have read many independent negitive articles.

As to pricing; the "majority" of people shopping for Services look at price, few people have the Income to pay higher prices even with services they would like. Consumer have a Break point and once that pricing is breached .....they switch to Providers offering a lower price. Consumers don't always give a company a 2nd chance....and come back.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by Cisco Kid :

I would like Easy Gadget let you answer phone calls......

I would like to see RR offer a different free Internet Security Software.....I have never taken advantage of the current offerings...I have read many independent negitive articles.

This is the second request for this in 2 days. Willzz might be on to something.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

LonghornXP

Largo, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
That is the hardest aspect of any CEO's job with a cable company. I believe it depends on the content itself. The higher valued content should never be taken away even if the cost is greater.

Again to be the leader you will have to pay more for content etc but I still hold firm that you can charge a higher price "if" you provide nearly everything that a customer wants. People don't want to pay a high price "and" not be able to get the content they want.

For example BHN for many years just never would add the content people wanted. It was CBS HD, NBC HD, UPN HD, ESPN HD, Starz On Demand, Starz HD and on and on and on. It seemed that everybody else had it but BHN. The customer doesn't really care the reason why they just care that they don't have it. This was mainly focusing on the time that DirecTV started adding HD channels like crazy.

BHN clearly wasn't being a leader and allowed DirecTV to make fools of them. After this they stepped up to the place and now have quite an amazing lineup of HD channels.

FIOS came into the game and was competing with DirecTV and putting BHN to shame. The problem is that Verizon didn't think ahead (this is even worse on a brand new product build) and now hasn't added the HD channels people want like BHN and DirecTV have clearly done.

All of these things haven't really changed the pricing structure at all between companies. People are used to paying a fairly decent sized cable bill. The question people are asking now is what do I get and don't get for my money.

So the point I'm getting at is that sometimes you just need to pay the piper and always be the leader at all costs. I still firmly believe that must have content providers will always have the power over the cable companies. You don't want to pay extra money for it but you also cannot afford to lose this content as customers "might" cancel.

But when you have a rep for being a leader customers might be more forgiving when you must stand your ground and let a channel go from your lineup. When you have a rep for never adding new channels until months and years after they have launched people aren't as forgiving when they lose a channel.

Again nearly everything a customer does is based in large part on perception and some companies seem to have content fights and battles way more often than the others.

Quite honestly looking back 2-3 years ago I do think most companies CEO's are doing a pretty good job in the TV industry. We do have a crap loud of HD channels, wicked fast internet, whole home DVR, tons of HD On Demand so they are kinda doing what I would focus on doing if I was a CEO.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
As far as comparing cable company to cable company, bright house is up there among the top as far as new technology comes. Unfortunately, there not competing with other cable companies and people dont care what it took to make this channel work, they just want it there and want it to work when they want to watch it.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

3 edits
reply to LonghornXP
said by LonghornXP:

That is the hardest aspect of any CEO's job with a cable company. I believe it depends on the content itself. The higher valued content should never be taken away even if the cost is greater.

Who's to say what is higher value content vss lower value content? Sports fanatics would die if ESPN was nixed but personally I don't give a rats if ESPN is on cable or not (not a commerical sports fanatic). This is the problem, one persons premium content is anothers overpriced crap. How are you as the CEO going to come to a happy medium?
(get this answer right and you know what BHN's CEO deals with every day)

Again to be the leader you will have to pay more for content etc but I still hold firm that you can charge a higher price "if" you provide nearly everything that a customer wants. People don't want to pay a high price "and" not be able to get the content they want.

This is where the customer to company disconnect begins. What most people don't understand is that these content providers have raised their prices (sometimes exponentially) each and every contract renewal. At the same time they have increased the number of ad insertions to the point that frankly some channels are unwatchable for me because I am constantly barraged by ads. In essence they are double and triple dipping. Attempts at breaking the content off into special tiers have been largely unsuccessful (by doing so then only those who want to subscribe pay vss everyone pay). Many content providers make it an all or nothing deal. When do you as the CEO draw the line and how are you going to handle the customer response to your decision? (Think long and hard about this one because there is no right answer...either way you are going to leave your office with one giant headache)

For example BHN for many years just never would add the content people wanted. It was CBS HD, NBC HD, UPN HD, ESPN HD, Starz On Demand, Starz HD and on and on and on. It seemed that everybody else had it but BHN. The customer doesn't really care the reason why they just care that they don't have it. This was mainly focusing on the time that DirecTV started adding HD channels like crazy.

By what I can see BHN has added new HD channels as fast as they can negotiate contracts and make space available. These are not something you can do overnight...negotiations take months, sometimes years. It isn't that they didn't want them (by what I know and can see) it just takes a very long time to get things ironed out. You have the healm for the day...as CEO how would you attack the problem?

BHN clearly wasn't being a leader and allowed DirecTV to make fools of them. After this they stepped up to the place and now have quite an amazing lineup of HD channels.

Based on what facts and figures? Niether of the dish providers is a significant player in the Florida market. There are many reasons for this but suffice it to say it isn't a sweet spot for the dish guys.

DirecTV does have an impressive HD lineup if you are from another country. They have a ton of niche channels that in this market would not be financially feasible. Because the dish market is nationwide they can negotiate contracts at an entirely different level. DirecTV has some seriously deep pockets and has also bet the farm on their flagship product NFL Sunday Ticket. If they lose that DirecTV is DONE and even they will admit it so when it comes to contract time they don't argue with the NFL they just open the checkbook and say "how much should we write this for". That isn't going to happen with any cable provider. The NFL had better hope that DirecTV never fails because if they do it's going to be a whole new world for the NFL and they aren't going to like how it turns out.

FIOS came into the game and was competing with DirecTV and putting BHN to shame. The problem is that Verizon didn't think ahead (this is even worse on a brand new product build) and now hasn't added the HD channels people want like BHN and DirecTV have clearly done.

How do you figure? Do you have the data to support your claim (it's out there if you look)

All of these things haven't really changed the pricing structure at all between companies. People are used to paying a fairly decent sized cable bill. The question people are asking now is what do I get and don't get for my money.

Longhorn have you forgotten? You are CEO today? How are you going to address the perception issues and the specifics as outlined in your question? You can't answer a question with a question

So the point I'm getting at is that sometimes you just need to pay the piper and always be the leader at all costs. I still firmly believe that must have content providers will always have the power over the cable companies. You don't want to pay extra money for it but you also cannot afford to lose this content as customers "might" cancel.

But when you have a rep for being a leader customers might be more forgiving when you must stand your ground and let a channel go from your lineup. When you have a rep for never adding new channels until months and years after they have launched people aren't as forgiving when they lose a channel.

Again nearly everything a customer does is based in large part on perception and some companies seem to have content fights and battles way more often than the others.

Quite honestly looking back 2-3 years ago I do think most companies CEO's are doing a pretty good job in the TV industry. We do have a crap loud of HD channels, wicked fast internet, whole home DVR, tons of HD On Demand so they are kinda doing what I would focus on doing if I was a CEO.

You are making a statement here which was not called for in the initial thread question. While a good point was communicated you didn't live up to the spirit of the thread. You are the CEO for the day. How are YOU going to address these issues?
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
If I could be CEO for a day I would add the HD version of Lifetime. We watch the present SD version on channel 40. The Lifetime web site says:

Lifetime is available in HD! If you can't see Lifetime in HD in your area, it's because your cable or satellite provider doesn't carry it. Of course we want you to have Lifetime HD available, and are always working to obtain carriage on more and more cable systems and satellite providers, but you as a viewer have a powerful voice. Please let your provider know that your want your Lifetime HD - together we can make it happen!

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:271752@us.voxalot.com

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Before I call it a night I just wanted to say I'm seeing some really good ideas. Please keep them coming! Thank you for keeping with the spirit of the thread. I'm holding off on my idea because I want to see if anyone comes up with it first
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

tlg
Premium
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Online streaming of content, such as comcast does.
--
twitter.com/tgaume
Expand your moderator at work

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

While this was mentioned to a certain extent I wanted to go a little further with it.

When I had DirecTV, I loved how the HD counterpart was listed right next to the SD channel. I would love for BHN to do something similar to this. I understand someone suggested that they be the exact number (ie. 1001, 1002, etc) but I think having it listed in the guide right next to eachother would be great. An option to turn off and on for those who don't have HD as well.

Are there any limitations to BHN system that keeps it from being able to do this? If not, why in the world wouldn't they do this already?

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
said by gigahurtz:

While this was mentioned to a certain extent I wanted to go a little further with it.

When I had DirecTV, I loved how the HD counterpart was listed right next to the SD channel. I would love for BHN to do something similar to this. I understand someone suggested that they be the exact number (ie. 1001, 1002, etc) but I think having it listed in the guide right next to eachother would be great. An option to turn off and on for those who don't have HD as well.

Are there any limitations to BHN system that keeps it from being able to do this? If not, why in the world wouldn't they do this already?

I have actually seen that brought up and agreed 1230498234092735%. I worked for dish a while back and theres is the same way. its SO much nicer.

LonghornXP

Largo, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
To ISPGeek. Remember that part of being a CEO is understanding your competitors strengths and weaknesses. The most important job of a CEO is also understanding your customers. This includes what they like and don't like about you, what they like about other companies services etc.

To be honest some experts say that the most important job of any CEO is what I posted above. My posts were focused on how I as a CEO for a day would look at things. Any CEO cannot nitpick on specific issues. You need to look at the bigger picture and try to balance the best you can the many conflicts that you would be faced with. As you said many of our issues with cable companies are very subjective (ie ESPN and other channels value etc) and as you also said no right answer exists. That is why the position of a CEO is so highly valued because it's the CEO's job to pick each avenue that would cost the least amount of customer harm. This is much more of an art and requires experience and a core understanding of your customers and the market.

So to finish this off as CEO for a day my focus is going to be about understanding my customers and the market and sticking with a core ideal which in my case is that you need to position yourself as being a leader. Always adding new channels, making sure channels don't go off the air even if it costs more money etc. While this next part is off topic just remember that all cable companies today have no problem making us pay a large premium for just the 15 or so channels we really want. The rest of them we don't care about. Now which 15 channels on average is dependent from customer to customer.

So to keep with the spirit of this thread (even though I believe I did) "if" I had to pick "one" thing as a CEO I guess I would pick the option below.

"YOU ONLY PAY FOR THE CHANNELS AND SERVICES YOU WANT"

You want ESPN it costs 5.50/month. You don't want ESPN...well you don't pay it. Now as a CEO for a day I don't believe it has any chance of working because of pricing but at the same time it would set my company apart from everyone else and we don't know if it can work until we try.

ruxi

join:2009-02-24
Winter Park, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
I'd offer a business-class service through my residential group. A "work at home" package -- something with an SLA, automatic "tier 2" support, and priority dispatches when onsite service is required. Obviously there'd be a hefty premium for such an offering, with with so many people relying on their Internet connection to make a living these days, it might be a popular option.

I'd just like the convenience of keeping everything bundled on my home bill, rather than having business service for my Internet and residential service for the TV.

Lane03

join:2011-02-08
Palm Harbor, FL
1. Being able to completely integrate multiple dvrs/converters together. e.g, delete/schedule recordings from any box in the house, if one box runs out of room system is smart enough to have the other box take over recording if room available, able to pause live tv from a non-dvr box

2. Smartphone apps to manage dvr schedule and stream what you've recorded to your smartphone.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to ruxi
said by ruxi:

I'd offer a business-class service through my residential group. A "work at home" package -- something with an SLA, automatic "tier 2" support, and priority dispatches when onsite service is required. Obviously there'd be a hefty premium for such an offering, with with so many people relying on their Internet connection to make a living these days, it might be a popular option.

I'd just like the convenience of keeping everything bundled on my home bill, rather than having business service for my Internet and residential service for the TV.

BHN already offers this feature. While you set-up with business class your account remains residential but you get the benefits of being a business class customer with improved SLA etc.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

LonghornXP

Largo, FL
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by ruxi:

BHN already offers this feature. While you set-up with business class your account remains residential but you get the benefits of being a business class customer with improved SLA etc.

Wow I didn't know you could setup business class service with a residential account. Just wondering if the Service Level Agreement can be customized on a case-by-case basis or is it just a standard boiler template. I know a few people with home consulting businesses that get DSL Business class. This could save them money and provide faster speeds. I don't have a need for this now but I wish I would have known this a couple of years ago. Well I could have always asked but what can I do. I think one person is stuck with business phone (bundled with business DSL) so they might be interested in switching all services over.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Lane03
said by Lane03:

1. Being able to completely integrate multiple dvrs/converters together. e.g, delete/schedule recordings from any box in the house, if one box runs out of room system is smart enough to have the other box take over recording if room available, able to pause live tv from a non-dvr box

2. Smartphone apps to manage dvr schedule and stream what you've recorded to your smartphone.

Lane part 2 of your great suggestion is already available minus the streaming part. Visit the Myservcies section at »www.brighthouse.com
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tlg
said by tlg:

Online streaming of content, such as comcast does.

Can you elaborate on this one a bit?

tlg
Premium
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL
More than just a few channels. Let me watch the VOD content streamed to my PC / iPad / android phone any place I'm at. Isn't that where we're really headed anyway?

You're core product is content delivery, where I consume that content should be flexible.

--
twitter.com/tgaume

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to LonghornXP
said by LonghornXP:

"YOU ONLY PAY FOR THE CHANNELS AND SERVICES YOU WANT"

You want ESPN it costs 5.50/month. You don't want ESPN...well you don't pay it. Now as a CEO for a day I don't believe it has any chance of working because of pricing but at the same time it would set my company apart from everyone else and we don't know if it can work until we try.

Okay so let's put LonghornXP down for:

Al a Carte Pricing

As his CEO decision of the day and request. Thank you!
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tlg
said by tlg:

More than just a few channels. Let me watch the VOD content streamed to my PC / iPad / android phone any place I'm at. Isn't that where we're really headed anyway?

You're core product is content delivery, where I consume that content should be flexible.

Well we were headed for that until the telcos decided to bless us with use caps. But I get where you are coming from...good idea and probably one that all providers are looking at these days. Question of the year is who will be the first to kill the solution first...greedy wireless or content owners. At this point I think all providers are considering anything that adds value to their service lineup. I would bet this is fairly high on the list...making it reality will be difficult. Comcast is trying and may be the test that everybody else needs to jump into the pool.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

I left the dish environment right as HD came into being so I never got a chance to see that. We have Dish at our house in the mountains and next time I'm out there I'll take a look. Honestly never noticed before. Interesting concept.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to BHNtechXpert
I second the tv programming choice thing. Make the packages much easier to understand in bundles, like news bundle, sports bundle, etc... I don't need to waste my money on 10+ shopping channels and other bull-shit I will never watch in my life.