All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

Keyword Search on Navigator! Title searching on the Keyboard is only good for movies. Having keyword search adds dimension and depth to the Navigator keyboard, and should be a standard Navigator feature by now. We are in 2011, not 1995. Keyword Search is on Remote DVR Manager. It's time for it to be added to the Navigator keyboard!

MY TOP NAVIGATOR REQUESTS:

1.) Keyword Search-For the reasons above
2.) Manual Recording-It would be nice to independently manage recordings if you only wanted to record part of a show by over-riding the time grid.

However, Keyword Search is such a top priority for me, that I would almost have to make it take up position #1 and #2 on the list with manual recording being #3. Customers and staff alike would just LOVE keyword search! It's easy and fun! Everyone would benefit from this feature!

Jack

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Drop the Install Fee

BHN should drop the $100.00 install fee for the WHDVR. I have been paying for the service since they first offered DVR back in 2004. I think that type of loyalty should be rewarded by waiving the $100.00 Fee.
Johnboy58
join:2011-06-20

Johnboy58

I would like to see the HD OnDemand section remodled,it looks very outdated, it needs to show the cover art of the movies you want to rent.Make it more eye catching and attractive to lure more customers.
Satch

2 edits

Satch

said by Johnboy58:

I would like to see the HD OnDemand section remodeled,it looks very outdated, it needs to show the cover art of the movies you want to rent.Make it more eye catching and attractive to lure more customers.

Johnboy,

The above that you describe is called "Virtual Cloud Technology" where the information and box settings are stored on or inside a "secure server cloud". The problem is that the current crop of TWC/Brighthouse boxes don't have the hardware needed to run the Virtual Cloud technology. However, this is something that my sources told me would be possible for the new boxes, such as the 8600's from Cisco (or higher) and the 3272 (or higher) from Samsung.

However, because of the economy and the millions of dollars invested in the current and older boxes. Brighthouse/TWC would rather have them naturally die out and replace them as they die with the newer models. Some services and settings are activated at the head-end. For example, the ODN modern version of the boxes (C-Models and Samsungs) are pushing out a Guide Transparency feature which is activated at the head-end, just like Caller ID on TV is for Digital Cable and Digital Phone subs. Over the next several years, Brighthouse/TWC will be adding more features to the modern box environments moving more settings off the boxes and to the servers.

Some of the features like the On-Demand functionality with the poster-art COULD show up on places like Remote DVR Manager and i-pad applets first, because they don't have the restricted hardware of the boxes. The long range goal is that TWC/Brighthouse would like to dump ALL of the boxes, where their services are consolidated through a secure line. (Digital Cable, Digital Phone, Internet, I-Pad) and if you have what is currently known as DVR service, those settings would be "unlocked" by the virtual cloud server and than you would have no restrictions due to hardware.

However, we are at least 5-8 years away from a total box free environment. We could see the start up of some nice features. TWC and Brighthouse are working on better search functions for the boxes and the slower speed issues. Interactive polling and surveys for voting could be coming out in future updates. A subscription games channel. I think you will see more mobility updates and integration updates as months and years go by.

Satch
Johnboy58
join:2011-06-20

Johnboy58

Thanks satch,I would atleast like to see this available for people with whdvr since they have the proper hardware.

Another feature I would like to see is a push button sports score guide maybe have the red or green button on the remote available to show you all the sports scores from the day and prior day so that way when your watching a tv show or a movie you can check up on your teams score without leaving the channel.

c0c0c02
c0c0c0 is the color of my soul.
join:2004-12-20
Lexington, OK

c0c0c02 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

I would like to have BHN expand their cable plant to my house. Make it happen BHNtechXpert See Profile!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by c0c0c02:

I would like to have BHN expand their cable plant to my house. Make it happen BHNtechXpert See Profile!

Oh I bet you do man...I feel so bad knowing where you came from and where you are now...there is no comparison whatsoever Oh and I'll get right on that.

Harbour
@rr.com

Harbour

Anon

said by Harbour :Easy Gadget needs a Link to Remote DVR....as it is now you must signon to Easy Gadget and Remote DVR separately......

Guide should fill an entire Flatscreen. I know at one time the Samsungs did fill the flat screens.....not sure if that is so in the newer models. BHN DVR's software\Guide should be the same no matter what brand........

Software needs a Manual Recording feature....so when shows run late you are not subject to the fixed increments now available. As an example, if a show is running 16 late, you must extend your show by 30 mins.....

ISPGeek wrote
Harbour make sure the first three items on your list are placed in the suggestions thread please. As for the last item there is almost no way for that one to come to be as this is a manufacturer issue.
Satch

Satch

I just don't understand how for the last five years, the requests that customers have wanted for Navigator, such as Keyword Search, Permanent Guide Filtering, Manual Recording, have gone ignored by the tech team.

I mean WTF? Why did we get Guide Transparency? So far not one customer with whom I have talked, for the last five years of Navigator's development has requested Guide Transparency? There was no reason to add that. Absolutely none! It doesn't do anything useful.

When BHN says that they are listening to customers, sad to speak, I think it's just PR that they are saying what the customer wants to hear. We have not even gotten ONE of the big features talked about in FIVE YEARS. Not a one. I just don't understand that.

And you all know that Passport had ALL of those features ten years ago!!! Passport had a fine Keyword Search System, you could do Manual Recordings as well. When oh when are we gonna start seeing some serious Navigator updates on the boxes that proves that BHN does actually listen to its customers?

I mean seriously, can you imagine hundreds of people, thousands of people calling in and requesting a Transparent Guide on/off option? That's just retarded. How much longer are customers going to have to wait for new Navigator features that MEAN SOMETHING? I doubt BHN cares about adding new Navigator features as much as they should.

I would give anything for BHN to prove me wrong!!! And even if we get my most requested feature on Navigator, a proper keyword search option, I will praise and thank every BHN/TWC CSR, tech and feedback form I can find with the most sincerest of thank you's and best wishes.

Keyword Search is my NFL Network. That's how strongly I feel about it. I want so badly for Navigator to be an awesome guide. I just feel like I'm gonna be dead before any of those features are added.

Satch

Beachie
Where is Shelly Miscavige?
join:2001-07-12
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie

What's with all the 'we' in your post? You said in a previous post that you're not a Bright House subscriber and in fact live in Wisconsin. Just curious here.

cisco kid
@rr.com

cisco kid to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
What is the Transparent Guide On\Off featured referred in the Post by satch?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Beachie

Premium Member

to Beachie
said by Beachie:

What's with all the 'we' in your post? You said in a previous post that you're not a Bright House subscriber and in fact live in Wisconsin. Just curious here.

LOL - I just had this discussion with him about TWC and BHN but apparently he has forgotten or... Just in case Satch if this feature means that much to you and if you need helping finding a similar thread in the TWC forum let me know and I'll do my best to help but placing this demand on a provider that doesn't even serve you (BHN) is just a bit out there if ya know what I mean
Satch

Satch

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Beachie:

LOL - I just had this discussion with him about TWC and BHN but apparently he has forgotten or... Just in case Satch if this feature means that much to you and if you need helping finding a similar thread in the TWC forum let me know and I'll do my best to help but placing this demand on a provider that doesn't even serve you (BHN) is just a bit out there if ya know what I mean

LOL!!!!

Just trying to get the word out there. I've got some Florida friends that would love this feature too!

Satch
Satch

Satch to cisco kid

to cisco kid
said by cisco kid :

What is the Transparent Guide On\Off featured referred in the Post by satch?

In the latest versions of Navigator (ODN 4.1 and ODN 5.0) there is a feature called Guide Transparency that is in the Display settings in the guide. It can be turned on or off. BHN systems must have version ODN 4.1 or 5.0 to have this setting. (A C-Box or a Samsung Box.)

Like Caller ID on TV, this setting must be downloaded from the head-end. You will probably see it within 2 days of the next ODN software update.

Satch

Beachie
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie to Satch

to Satch
said by Satch:

LOL!!!!

Just trying to get the word out there. I've got some Florida friends that would love this feature too!

Satch

Then perhaps those very friends should be the ones posting. I just don't get why you would be posing as a Bright House subscriber to complain about things that don't even effect you. That's why we have a BHN forum here and aren't lumped in with Time Warner any longer. Would you care to explain please?
Satch

Satch

said by Beachie:

said by Satch:

LOL!!!!

Satch

Then perhaps those very friends should be the ones posting. I just don't get why you would be posing as a Bright House subscriber to complain about things that don't even effect you. That's why we have a BHN forum here and aren't lumped in with Time Warner any longer. Would you care to explain please?

In light of this concern, you are correct. I will stick to posting at the TWC forums only. Glad that I could help those that I did. But you are right, I should not be giving out information from TWC that may not even affect BHN. Individual users with questions or concerns about issues can shoot me a PM if they choose. But I will be unbookmarking the BHN forum.

It's been a pleasure. Thank you.

Satch

Beachie
Saint Petersburg, FL

Beachie

It wasn't my intent to have you leave the forum, however that is your choice. I merely asked in 2 separate posts for an explanation as to why you would be posting as if you were a Bright House subscriber. As BHNtechXpert See Profile pointed out to you in another thread, we are as similar to TWC as we are different in many respects.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Stach nobody wants you to go away. I think the concern is you may have associated the two companies a little more than they really are and this tends to lead to some confusion among BHN customers. While BHN certainly does use some technology from TWC how much and where is solely at the discretion of BHN and you would be surprised at how dissimilar they really are.

The two should certainly be considered close working partners but that said they are two entirely different companies. BHN is blessed to be a privately held company and this allows it to be fiercely competitive and agile when the moment calls for it whereas TWC is a publicly held company which at times can make things very difficult as it applies to change and swiftness in response to market condition changes.

I realize over the years there has been great confusion as to BHN's status in the real world and I direct you to the following wiki that does a fairly decent job of giving the history behind BHN.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br ··· Networks

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Soft Phone Dialer Like Vonage

said by BHNtechXpert:

I REALLY like this suggestion and it is not difficult to implement on BHN's current technology. The question is would this be an addition to existing phone service OR would you prefer to make this a standalone product? Also please post this suggestion in the suggestions thread. I might have more questions for you on this so do me a favor and answer back exactly what features you would like to see this come with.

OK here is what I had in mind. Make it part of the of the BHN Digital Phone Service also make it work for two lines of phone service that is what I have now one for personal and one for work. Features wise Caller ID with Full Name and Number just like on a regular phone, Call waiting, Voicemail with the ability to hear the person leaving the Voicemail and taking the call if it's important, 3 WAY calling, Call Block list to add and remove callers. Of course using this new software on Desktops, Laptops and Smartphone's IPHONE Android RIM WINMO. If you think of anything else let me know.

Thanks
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

said by BHNtechXpert:

I REALLY like this suggestion and it is not difficult to implement on BHN's current technology. The question is would this be an addition to existing phone service OR would you prefer to make this a standalone product? Also please post this suggestion in the suggestions thread. I might have more questions for you on this so do me a favor and answer back exactly what features you would like to see this come with.

OK here is what I had in mind. Make it part of the of the BHN Digital Phone Service also make it work for two lines of phone service that is what I have now one for personal and one for work. Features wise Caller ID with Full Name and Number just like on a regular phone, Call waiting, Voicemail with the ability to hear the person leaving the Voicemail and taking the call if it's important, 3 WAY calling, Call Block list to add and remove callers. Of course using this new software on Desktops, Laptops and Smartphone's IPHONE Android RIM WINMO. If you think of anything else let me know.

Thanks

Question because you didn't mention it. Am I to assume that you mean this service is available while you on BHN's network or everywhere (I'm crossing my fingers for BHN's network).

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

O well anywhere it's all Internet Protocol data anyway. My easy gadget work's over VZ FiOS right now I would expect nothing less. Think about how easy gadget works over cellular networks via the IPHONE as an example.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

O well anywhere it's all Internet Protocol data anyway. My easy gadget work's over VZ FiOS right now I would expect nothing less. Think about how easy gadget works over cellular networks via the IPHONE as an example.

I'm concerned about the quality of the call. Not everyone operates their network like BHN does and my fear is that traveling and attempting to use your softphone could result in less than acceptable performance and the natural (albeit wrong) reaction is to blame BHN for this when in reality they have zero control at that point. This COULD be a problem so somewhere along the line expectations would have to be set and communicated so that everyone understands these things. I can tell you this would be one of the very first things they would consider before even considering such a product and it's a huge obstacle to work around if you think about it. Have you been to a hotel lately? Over the past year I have and let me tell you internet access sucks at even the best of locations.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

I Understand just have BHN issue a disclaimer stating that results may vary when using other Internet providers to make make and take calls. How dos Vonage handle call quality there customers use a wide variety of internet providers. The whole point of my idea is not to create some new walled garden type of service it is meant to be used on the on the general public internet. I would like to beta test this new service and provide feedback on the results over different ISPs that way. Say I went on vacation and I wanted to stay at a hotel or time share home or with friends and family that had Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon etc you get the picture I would want to use the new easy dialer app on those connections they are land based and should have decent ping and jitter for this new service to work just fine on. Now 3G is a whole other story I could test it on a Sprint 3G card and report back on how it went, 4G should be OK Sprints 4G is between 40-110ms latency VZ LTE I think is in the 50ms range.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

I Understand just have BHN issue a disclaimer stating that results may vary when using other Internet providers to make make and take calls. How dos Vonage handle call quality there customers use a wide variety of internet providers. The whole point of my idea is not to create some new walled garden type of service it is meant to be used on the on the general public internet. I would like to beta test this new service and provide feedback on the results over different ISPs that way. Say I went on vacation and I wanted to stay at a hotel or time share home or with friends and family that had Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon etc you get the picture I would want to use the new easy dialer app on those connections they are land based and should have decent ping and jitter for this new service to work just fine on. Now 3G is a whole other story I could test it on a Sprint 3G card and report back on how it went, 4G should be OK Sprints 4G is between 40-110ms latency VZ LTE I think is in the 50ms range.

I totally understand your concept just wanted to clarify what your intended use was. My concept of how it might be used are different though. As for Vonage there are a couple of things you need to understand...Vonage doesn't behave as a normal phone company does. You can travel with your number and Vonage really doesn't care because they don't offer traditional e911 service contrary to claims. BHN on the other hand does and a totally mobile version of phone would cause problems...potentially big ones. (Sorry I kinda cheated...should have just said this up front but wanted to see where you would go with it) - that said until a solution could be had on the e911 thingy this probably won't fly and one thing is for sure that modeling 911 after Vonage isn't going to happen that you can count on.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert

If possible, Brighthouse should enable the ESATA ports on all the DVR models that have ESATA ports. 160 GB or even 320 GB is very limited when recording HD. They could also rent external drives that would be fully supported by Brighthouse. My unsupported 750 GB ESATA drive still works with my 8300 HD.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: Soft Phone Dialer Like Vonage

Cheated ? With What did you "Cheat" with ?

So from what I gather there should be two versions of Easy Gadget. A Basic version pretty much like the one we all use for checking Voicemail's, missed calls adding and removing contacts etc. And an Advanced Version that has all the basic feature's with the addition of the Softphone Dialer. Or a unified Easy Gadget App the allow's the Softphone Dialer to work only when connected to BHN.

Let me know what you think.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

Cheated ? With What did you "Cheat" with ?

So from what I gather there should be two versions of Easy Gadget. A Basic version pretty much like the one we all use for checking Voicemail's, missed calls adding and removing contacts etc. And an Advanced Version that has all the basic feature's with the addition of the Softphone Dialer. Or a unified Easy Gadget App the allow's the Softphone Dialer to work only when connected to BHN.

Let me know what you think.

What I meant by cheating is I held back the e911 issue from my original response to you I probably should have mentioned that then as it is pretty much an idea breaker until that issue can get resolved.
swamibob
join:2011-07-25
Auburndale, FL

swamibob to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

1)The remote dvr manager needs to give you information about what percentage full your dvr is and give you the option to see all of the programs you have currently recorded on your DVR with the option to delete them individuality. They also need to add the remote DVR functionality into smart phone apps (ios and android) to give you the same level of functionality as setting at your computer.

2)Another good feature would be to allow you to stream whatever you have recorded on your DVR to your computer.

3)They need to fix the firmware to support Esata drives again. I'm not sure why they screwed this functionality up, but until they step us with new boxes that have a decent size drive in them, at least it was a work around. How old are these boxes now, 10 years? Time to step up since Verizon has faster/newer boxes with much more capacity.

4)They also need to add the voice mail to email for free. Most other Voip services do this for free and give you the option in the email to delete it from your voice mail box with a click of a link. I used to be able to do this 3 yrs ago when I was using packet 8 for my phone.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Faster RR Lighting

How about Upgrading us RR Lighting users form 40/5Mbps to 40/40Mbps or even to 50/50Mbps And Leapfrog VZ FiOS in terms of there 2nd fastest Internet Tier.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Make it easier to manage services via the web...
BHN should make it easier and simpler for us to perform tasks like adding/removing/modifying services.

On the BHN website, it's not evident where to go and I had to dig through the site to find the link as I just wanted to cancel one premium channel I don't watch often enough.

It seems to me that it would make sense to have a hyperlink on the "add services / bundles" page as this is where we land.

A button on the right with a brief explanation (like: "Click to add/remove individual services"), which would bring you to a contacts page. There you would have a few options: "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" or "Click to start a chat".