Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal

Lane03

join:2011-02-08
Palm Harbor, FL
reply to ruxi

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

1. Being able to completely integrate multiple dvrs/converters together. e.g, delete/schedule recordings from any box in the house, if one box runs out of room system is smart enough to have the other box take over recording if room available, able to pause live tv from a non-dvr box

2. Smartphone apps to manage dvr schedule and stream what you've recorded to your smartphone.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147
reply to ruxi

said by ruxi:

I'd offer a business-class service through my residential group. A "work at home" package -- something with an SLA, automatic "tier 2" support, and priority dispatches when onsite service is required. Obviously there'd be a hefty premium for such an offering, with with so many people relying on their Internet connection to make a living these days, it might be a popular option.

I'd just like the convenience of keeping everything bundled on my home bill, rather than having business service for my Internet and residential service for the TV.

BHN already offers this feature. While you set-up with business class your account remains residential but you get the benefits of being a business class customer with improved SLA etc.
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

LonghornXP

join:2005-08-27
Largo, FL

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by ruxi:

I'd offer a business-class service through my residential group. A "work at home" package -- something with an SLA, automatic "tier 2" support, and priority dispatches when onsite service is required. Obviously there'd be a hefty premium for such an offering, with with so many people relying on their Internet connection to make a living these days, it might be a popular option.

I'd just like the convenience of keeping everything bundled on my home bill, rather than having business service for my Internet and residential service for the TV.

BHN already offers this feature. While you set-up with business class your account remains residential but you get the benefits of being a business class customer with improved SLA etc.

Wow I didn't know you could setup business class service with a residential account. Just wondering if the Service Level Agreement can be customized on a case-by-case basis or is it just a standard boiler template. I know a few people with home consulting businesses that get DSL Business class. This could save them money and provide faster speeds. I don't have a need for this now but I wish I would have known this a couple of years ago. Well I could have always asked but what can I do. I think one person is stuck with business phone (bundled with business DSL) so they might be interested in switching all services over.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Lane03

said by Lane03:

1. Being able to completely integrate multiple dvrs/converters together. e.g, delete/schedule recordings from any box in the house, if one box runs out of room system is smart enough to have the other box take over recording if room available, able to pause live tv from a non-dvr box

2. Smartphone apps to manage dvr schedule and stream what you've recorded to your smartphone.

Lane part 2 of your great suggestion is already available minus the streaming part. Visit the Myservcies section at »www.brighthouse.com
--
"I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time."
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tlg

said by tlg:

Online streaming of content, such as comcast does.

Can you elaborate on this one a bit?

tlg
Premium
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

More than just a few channels. Let me watch the VOD content streamed to my PC / iPad / android phone any place I'm at. Isn't that where we're really headed anyway?

You're core product is content delivery, where I consume that content should be flexible.

--
twitter.com/tgaume

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to LonghornXP

said by LonghornXP:

"YOU ONLY PAY FOR THE CHANNELS AND SERVICES YOU WANT"

You want ESPN it costs 5.50/month. You don't want ESPN...well you don't pay it. Now as a CEO for a day I don't believe it has any chance of working because of pricing but at the same time it would set my company apart from everyone else and we don't know if it can work until we try.

Okay so let's put LonghornXP down for:

Al a Carte Pricing

As his CEO decision of the day and request. Thank you!
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tlg

said by tlg:

More than just a few channels. Let me watch the VOD content streamed to my PC / iPad / android phone any place I'm at. Isn't that where we're really headed anyway?

You're core product is content delivery, where I consume that content should be flexible.

Well we were headed for that until the telcos decided to bless us with use caps. But I get where you are coming from...good idea and probably one that all providers are looking at these days. Question of the year is who will be the first to kill the solution first...greedy wireless or content owners. At this point I think all providers are considering anything that adds value to their service lineup. I would bet this is fairly high on the list...making it reality will be difficult. Comcast is trying and may be the test that everybody else needs to jump into the pool.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to gigahurtz

said by gigahurtz:

While this was mentioned to a certain extent I wanted to go a little further with it.

When I had DirecTV, I loved how the HD counterpart was listed right next to the SD channel. I would love for BHN to do something similar to this. I understand someone suggested that they be the exact number (ie. 1001, 1002, etc) but I think having it listed in the guide right next to eachother would be great. An option to turn off and on for those who don't have HD as well.

Are there any limitations to BHN system that keeps it from being able to do this? If not, why in the world wouldn't they do this already?

I left the dish environment right as HD came into being so I never got a chance to see that. We have Dish at our house in the mountains and next time I'm out there I'll take a look. Honestly never noticed before. Interesting concept.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

willzzz

join:2007-05-23
SE MI
reply to BHNtechXpert

I second the tv programming choice thing. Make the packages much easier to understand in bundles, like news bundle, sports bundle, etc... I don't need to waste my money on 10+ shopping channels and other bull-shit I will never watch in my life.

Lane03

join:2011-02-08
Palm Harbor, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Lane03:

Lane part 2 of your great suggestion is already available minus the streaming part. Visit the Myservcies section at »www.brighthouse.com

Yeah I know you can manage it thru the website, but I meant an actual dedicated app designed for iPhone/Android phones so we don't have to go to the mobile webpage (e.g. Netflix app versus logging in via the Netflix website)

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Lane03:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Lane03:

Yeah I know you can manage it thru the website, but I meant an actual dedicated app designed for iPhone/Android phones so we don't have to go to the mobile webpage (e.g. Netflix app versus logging in via the Netflix website)

Gotcha that makes sense.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

I left the dish environment right as HD came into being so I never got a chance to see that. We have Dish at our house in the mountains and next time I'm out there I'll take a look. Honestly never noticed before. Interesting concept.

Any idea why all HD channels are listed in 1000s? Is there some sort of limitation to them doing it the same as DTV?

DirecTV would simply have two channel 2s listed, one being SD and one being HD. I believe Dish Network was the same. I often wondered why BHN didn't do it this way and figured there was probably some reasoning behind it.

solarX

@rr.com

That feature is currently available....but only on certain channels.... On those channels with the ENHANCED Feature, If you press SELECT and that channel is also in HD....Or SD...it will display...you can Highlite it and press Select. Having written that, I would also prefer it just show on the Guide.....less steps to manage.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

^ thats not the same as he is talking about with the satellite

Im not sure why they dont do it, I cant see a reason as far as space or ability goes. Verizons is the same way ours is, I dont really get it but I doubt there going to change it at this point. People get pissed enough when you change one little thing.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by tim tim tim:

^ thats not the same as he is talking about with the satellite

Im not sure why they dont do it, I cant see a reason as far as space or ability goes. Verizons is the same way ours is, I dont really get it but I doubt there going to change it at this point. People get pissed enough when you change one little thing.

I just can't understand what the thought process was when this was thought up originally. I mean I can't think of any reason this way is "better" than just combining SD/HD channels on the guide.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Sorry I can't answer that one Gigahurtz....sorry. I'll try to see if there is an answer to it however. Might take a day or two.

mlg9000

join:2004-05-27
Livonia, MI

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

Improvements:

1. Stop the copy protection nonsense. I pay for your service, let me record shows in full HD reliably on any device I want. I can get around your restrictions now with some annoyances and hacks. All your content is easily available online now, you aren't stopping anything and you never will. If you keep making things difficult I'm just going to drop cable in favor of downloads. I realize this is not *all* Brighthouse's fault, but you are a major player and have some say.
2. A la carte options for TV channels
2. Better peering.
3. Improved upload speeds, actual last mile fiber at reasonable prices
4. Better communication with customers. TV lineup, network maintenance, etc are all done with little or no customer notice.
5. A support line that not down 100% of the time when there is an issue in the area.
6. Customer owned equipment options

What Brighthouse does well an should continue to keep doing:

1. No caps or messing with my traffic
2. Decent number of HD channels

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by mlg9000:

Improvements:

1. Stop the copy protection nonsense. I pay for your service, let me record shows in full HD reliably on any device I want. I can get around your restrictions now with some annoyances and hacks. All your content is easily available online now, you aren't stopping anything and you never will. If you keep making things difficult I'm just going to drop cable in favor of downloads. I realize this is not *all* Brighthouse's fault, but you are a major player and have some say.
2. A la carte options for TV channels
2. Better peering.
3. Improved upload speeds, actual last mile fiber at reasonable prices
4. Better communication with customers. TV lineup, network maintenance, etc are all done with little or no customer notice.
5. A support line that not down 100% of the time when there is an issue in the area.
6. Customer owned equipment options

What Brighthouse does well an should continue to keep doing:

1. No caps or messing with my traffic
2. Decent number of HD channels

Great post!

A couple of things...

1) You realize DRM is out of BHN's hands for the most part...good. The way things are going I doubt this will ease up because content owners are more and more paranoid about such things. I so understand where you are coming from though and I wish there was an easy answer on this one but there isn't.

2) A la carte pricing is not in your future o wise one. I'll make a thread one of these days detailing all the reasons why this looks good on paper but in reality probably would suck. Remind me in a week or so if I forget and we'll do a whole thread discussing just this issue at length.

3) Better peering is something all providers strive for. It's all about economics my friend. Look at the Comcast vs Level 3 issue and it should make more sense. We need dadarkside or rebus to go into great detail on this one...they know it far better than I.

4) Communication is key to the success of any business and I think it's also a work in progress for most providers. The whole customer interaction process is evolving so fast these days it's hard to keep up. As for basic stuff like channel lineups this stuff is all available and current on the BHN website. Network maint. is something that rarely impacts a customer unless it's unplanned and there is no warning for such incidents in most cases...it just happens. If it's planned and of long enough duration you will receive notice in your bill or they may send you a special notice and in the case of channel changes, deletions, additions, contract retrans statements these things are placed in your local paper well before the anticipated event.

5) While I have no personal experience with your support phones in Michigan I have seen several reports of the lines being busy during high volume events. I'm curious as to why myself.

6) Customer owned equipment options how? Please be specific.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

megachirops

join:2010-05-05
Lake Mary, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

The change I'd love to make is more granular packages. Not a la carte (as I understand why true a la carte would probably be bad), but break the channels up into a few groups that make sense so that people that have no interest in a particular type of programming can skip it.

For example:

Local (self-explanatory
News (with CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, CSPAN, etc...)
Entertainment (with AMC, BBCA, E!, Style, etc...)
Science/History/Documentary (with Discover, TLC, Natgeo, Animal Planet, etc...)
Sports (with sub-packages: Basic, Sports Pass, NBA League Pass, etc...)
Premium (with sub-packages: HD Extra, HBO, MAX, SHO, TMC, Starz, etc...)

Probably not feasible even as "CEO for a day" with current carriage agreements, but that's what I'd like to see the industry go to as a compromise between a la carte and the current model.

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL

That would be nice. Im pretty sure its not the cable companies thats so against this, more the content providers that wont allow it.

k2rj
Premium
join:2005-03-24
Cape Canaveral, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Keep the channels that you don't get from showing up in the guide! Nothing more frustrating that finding a show you might want to watch, pressing select, and finding that "You are not authorized for this service" or some similar verbiage.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit
reply to tim tim tim

said by tim tim tim:

That would be nice. Im pretty sure its not the cable companies thats so against this, more the content providers that wont allow it.

A prime example of a content provider who has and would say no is the NFL Network. They want it available and paid for by all or nothing. Now for those of us who could care less about football (yea I really don't care for the NFL at all) why should I have to pay for this channel when there is a ZERO chance it will ever be on my television. (You watch...an al a carte post will follow this )

So with this said it's not always about the provider saying no to this concept because in reality this isn't the case as in this example.

--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

LonghornXP

join:2005-08-27
Largo, FL

1 edit

ispgeek...the same can be said for the ESPN channels. These channels would never be offered to cable companies unless they were within a standard cable package. Well why does BHN and every other cable and sat company force all those people that don't care about sports to pay for it. I just don't see how its okay for espn but its not okay for say NFL Network. I do understand that ESPN is more popular than NFL Network but the same logic applies.

Companies use these types of excuses and get away with it because most consumers don't see the connection between other channels such as the NFL and ESPN.

So I say if your going to force ESPN down my throat why do they sit on their high horse and say they are standing up for us by refusing to add the channel because the NFL is unwilling to allow it on a digital sports tier so that only customers who want it pay for it.

This isn't just a BHN matter though as all the TV companies use these types of tactics all the time. If ESPN had varied content that would appeal in some respect to everyone and had very high quality content I would say differently. However your either a sports fan or your not and if your not why should BHN and everyone else force these customers to pay for channels that have nothing of value for them. To add insult to injury these are also the most expensive suite of channels on standard cable.

Edit...Also note this is coming from a very die hard sports fan that likes watching the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. This makes ESPN, MLB Network, NHL Network, NBA TV, and NFL Network channels that are of extremely high value in my home. I'd like to hear what you and others opinions of this are because it sure is a topic that can have very passionate viewpoints no doubt. By the way ispgeek this was a really good idea for a topic and it seems so far to have some really good idea's and viewpoints. Gotta give ya kudos for this thread.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to megachirops

said by megachirops:

The change I'd love to make is more granular packages. Not a la carte (as I understand why true a la carte would probably be bad), but break the channels up into a few groups that make sense so that people that have no interest in a particular type of programming can skip it.

For example:

Local (self-explanatory
News (with CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, CSPAN, etc...)
Entertainment (with AMC, BBCA, E!, Style, etc...)
Science/History/Documentary (with Discover, TLC, Natgeo, Animal Planet, etc...)
Sports (with sub-packages: Basic, Sports Pass, NBA League Pass, etc...)
Premium (with sub-packages: HD Extra, HBO, MAX, SHO, TMC, Starz, etc...)

Probably not feasible even as "CEO for a day" with current carriage agreements, but that's what I'd like to see the industry go to as a compromise between a la carte and the current model.

I actually like the concept but I don't know enough about the economics to say whether or not it's doable...I'm gonna search around a bit and see if anyone has actually tried this and will get back to ya.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

tim tim tim

Lutz, FL
reply to LonghornXP

Im thinking ESPN gets away with it because if im not mistaken, there contracted with disney channels and espn is all around sports, not just football. Im guessing the cable companies feel its worth whatever dollar amount to have an all around sports channel vs ONLY nfl.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by tim tim tim:

Im thinking ESPN gets away with it because if im not mistaken, there contracted with disney channels and espn is all around sports, not just football. Im guessing the cable companies feel its worth whatever dollar amount to have an all around sports channel vs ONLY nfl.

Um yea I have a real problem with paying for just 10 or so games each year and the rest of the year NFL re-runs....not cool. (Referring to NFL Network). But don't get me started on the NFL...it's not that I don't like football....I dislike the NFL and all the things they do and stand for. It's nothing but a giant money machine...they could care less about fans..it's all about the money. I look forward to a strike and lockout this year...spoiled babies...all of them.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

I've been pondering this thread for some time so here goes...

And my response is one I've been chanting for some time now.

said by BHNtechXpert:

If you could be CEO for a day and add a product, feature or make a change to the way BHN does things what would it be?

Upload speeds. 1 Mbps uploads are sooo last decade, especially when charging $48/month for the service.

IMO, we should see 10/2, 20/5, 40/10... something along those lines, to be even remotely competitive in FIOS markets.

ruxi

join:2009-02-24
Winter Park, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Somewhat trivial.. but I'd like to see a DVR playlist (queue). in other words, the ability to select several recordings to play in order without further prompting.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ruxi:

Somewhat trivial.. but I'd like to see a DVR playlist (queue). in other words, the ability to select several recordings to play in order without further prompting.

My streaming appliances do this but in all honesty I haven't decided if it's a good thing or bad thing.
--
~ Herbert Bayard Swope