Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to BHNtechXpert

Mod

to BHNtechXpert

(topic move) If you could add a product, feature or make a chang

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »If you could ...
treasureman
join:2002-08-09
Port Orange, FL

treasureman to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

If I were CEO I would completely rework the remote control and the on screen guide and user controls of BHN. They are severely lacking and not user friendly!

I have DirecTV in a vacation home and BHN here and DirecTV excels. I have the High Definition DVR for both, so below are my gripes with BHN (things that DirecTV has and BHN does not):

Customized Guide Menus:

This is my biggest gripe with BHN. With Direct TV I can set up a customized menu and it will ONLY show the channels I put on it. So all the many channels that I am NOT interested won't appear on the guide. In fact with DirecTV you can have more than one customized menu! With BHN I have both the non HD and the HD channels on the guide menu. Why? With directv it only has the HD. The guide system needs lots of improvement!

Favorites:

With BHN you put in your favorites and it cycles through them one at a time. With Directv your favorites appear on screen on a grid so you can directly select one of your channels. Again, BHN is not intuitive here.

BHN Remote:

1. No 30 second fast forward button to go through commercials. Instead of hitting a 30 second button, say, 6 times to go through 3 minutes of commercials, with BHN I have to hit the FF button and wait until I see the start of the show, then go back because it always goes too far.

2. Directv remote is better laid out, easier to read the buttons, has fewer buttons, yet will perform more functions than the BHN remote. Why do I need a button for channel 13? Why an "on demand" button, it gets pressed by mistake all the time, when a menu selection on screen would do just fine. Take a look at directv remote and note it's simplicity, and intuitiveness.

BHN on Screen guide:

1. The guide doesn't cover the width of my wide screen TV, even if I have "stretch" set in the picture size settings. What's up with this? It would be easier to read if it were the width of the screen.

2. BHN list of recorded programs. There is no way to delete a program directly from a list by pushing one button. Directv lets you push the red button on the remove while a program is highlighted and it will delete it. With BHN you have to click on the program, scroll down a menu, and then delete it.

2. BHN guide. No way to jump forward 12 or 24 hours at a time that I can find. Again directv has this.

One more thing. When I signed up with DirecTV I got a nice manual in color explaining the remote control and all of direcTV features. With BHN I got nothing but a small folded paper with the TV codes and a black and white picture of the remote with limited explanations. And nothing at all explaining the DVR.

You probably want to know why I don't have directv here like I do in my vacation home. The condo I own here pays some of the cable fee so I would be wasting that money if I went with direcTV. I may still do so however, I am really disappointed in BHN features as explained above.

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Change the speed tier offerings. Instead of 7M, 20M, & 40M how about 15M, 25M, & 40M. Or add another tier into the current offerings like 7M, 20M, 30M, and 40M. U know Charter bumps their speed tier ever so often w/ out changing the price.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by shortyd999:

Change the speed tier offerings. Instead of 7M, 20M, & 40M how about 15M, 25M, & 40M. Or add another tier into the current offerings like 7M, 20M, 30M, and 40M. U know Charter bumps their speed tier ever so often w/ out changing the price.

Shorty charter was behind us to begin with they are just now catching up

berniefl35
@rr.com

berniefl35 to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
any news on an brighthouse iphone tv app?
lrcollin
join:2010-08-08
Lake Mary, FL

lrcollin to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Any chance we could get NASA TV (channel 144 in Orlando) in HD??
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to berniefl35

Premium Member

to berniefl35
Nothing yet Berniefl35
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to lrcollin

Premium Member

to lrcollin
I'll add it to our list and thanks for the feedback...

X Digital X2
Premium Member
join:2011-11-28
Saint Petersburg, FL

X Digital X2 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
I think that BHN should provide a exclusive gamer's package... that includes new the gaming routers... Gaming is a billion dollar industry, im sure alot of customers would jump on that.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by X Digital X2:

I think that BHN should provide a exclusive gamer's package... that includes new the gaming routers... Gaming is a billion dollar industry, im sure alot of customers would jump on that.

I like this idea lets see how others respond to it as well
meach13
join:2007-04-05
Bessemer, AL

meach13 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
In the Birmingham market we would just be happy to keep like HD channels together. We have some HD HBO, Showtime, Cinemax at 598-610 and another set of HD HBO, Showtime, Cinemax 701-736
FR_Chris
join:2005-05-11
Largo, FL

FR_Chris to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Suggested Video Feature Changes
Remove or suppress unsubscribed/Unwanted chans from guide
Offer enhanced STB gateways w/networking, DLNA,SMB
Faster STB's - Navigation currently slow on older STB's
Bring back old favorite features
Enable and support ESATA ports

Suggested Roadrunner Changes
Faster Upload/Download Speeds
Standalone modems for Lightning service
Last mile fiber for residential service
Different Roadrunner security software
Enhanced residential SLA options (premium repair svc)

Suggested Programming Changes
HDNet
NFL Network
Redzone
Expand channel lineup
Lifetime HD

Suggested BHN Overall Service Changes
A La Carte Pricing
Call ahead equipment reservations at lobbies
Customer owned EQ options (STB, DVR, D3 Modems)
Improved customer communication
Improved event management (outages) + communication

Suggested Web Application Changes
Android Television App
Online Television Streaming
Improved Remote DVR Manager interface
ESPN 3 on Xbox

I defiantly second treasureman's suggestion for allowing you to remove channels from the guide list. not just channels you don't subscribe to, but channels that i have no interest in watching. Or just like there is no need for the sd and hd versions of the same channel to be listed. I would love to just be able to remove that from my OSG.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Very detailed suggestions Chris! Thank you
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Bump...

jfleni
@rr.com

jfleni to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
Post your prices like any other merchant selling any service.

I was wondering about upgrading to Turbo, but your online prices are a mystery ( I have looked). I was considering adding phone service, again prices are a complete unknown.

I will NOT call or post a complicated email, just to know something you should post in the normal course of business.

jfleni
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

HBO GO - It's Official

We are pleased to announce we have a deal with HBO GO. We will beta test first and a more firm customer launch date will be provided soon. Check out our Facebook page for updates and the official countdown as we move forward.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to jfleni

to jfleni

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

said by jfleni :

Post your prices like any other merchant selling any service.

I was wondering about upgrading to Turbo, but your online prices are a mystery ( I have looked). I was considering adding phone service, again prices are a complete unknown.

I will NOT call or post a complicated email, just to know something you should post in the normal course of business.

jfleni

I went to www.mybrighthouse.com and on the home page I see the price for internet. I then click "shop" on the top and the first thing that pops up is the price for a tv/phone/rr package.

how much do you want? They have special deals based on your package with the company. If they advertised every combo they could create, it would take a full page of just numbers. Save the confusion, get what you want/need with a short phone call to a local rep or just look through the site a little better.
mrmazda
join:2011-12-18

mrmazda

Enable all "power saving" features to be 100% disable-able by the subscriber. Since spring last year here in Tampa Bay at least, when timers were replaced with reminders, and using a regular HD BHN converter box, it has been impossible to keep picture and sound on 100% of the time, even on non-SDV channels. This means one can't use her own paid-for general purpose recording device to record a complete program every time, unless she presses a button at least once every three hours, which in turn means she can't expect to satisfactorily record while at the beach for an afternoon, asleep at night or at her full-time job.

At the very least, every title selected via "reminder" should play 100% through without cable box interruption, including marathon titles, like routinely happen with NCIS, SVU & Bones, which sometimes play continuously for up to 25 hours, and frequently play continuously for more than 6 hours, on channels like TNT and USA.
mrmazda

mrmazda to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
For "Start Over" to be seriously useful it should to be able to start not only the current program over, but also the one that preceded it, to cover the very common case of two wanted programs on different channels scheduled for the same time, so that after one was over, one could switch to the channel the second was on, and be able to choose to start either the current program over, or the one that immediately preceded it, in its 16:9 entirety, and not via PTOD or FOD, both of which only play center cuts or letterboxed of HD programs if available after the normally scheduled time at all. Even better would be the ability to go back up to two or three programs preceding, to cover cases where the first choice was two or three hours long, and the second half an hour or more shorter, and even cases where programmers siamese the start of one program with the end of the next, as USA, TNT & several others routinely do.
Mr Steveo
join:2002-01-31
Tampa Bay FL

Mr Steveo to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Allow STB to also function as network switches to access a home's MoCA network.

Picture this:
BHN MR-DVR service
Samsung DVR and STBs

The Samsung boxes have an Ethernet port on the back currently doing nothing useful.

In Room 1 at the front of home is a STB and it is the room where the BH modem and router are located.

Room 2 is a far back bedroom. One of those rooms where running network cable in wall would involve prohibitively costly ripping out of drywall. But... Room 2 has a Samsung STB also

Goal - Wired internet access in Room 2.

Cool solution:
In Room 1 run a cable from the routers LAN jack into the Ethernet port of the Samsung STB in same room.
Go back to Room 2 at rear of home and run a cable out of that room's Samsung STB into a PC Ethernet jack, or Roku etc etc.

Thus leveraging the integration of all BHN services so that high speed data, set top boxes, and MoCA in wall coax work together

THAT would be truly living in a Bright House :-D
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Mr Steveo:

Allow STB to also function as network switches to access a home's MoCA network.

Picture this:
BHN MR-DVR service
Samsung DVR and STBs

The Samsung boxes have an Ethernet port on the back currently doing nothing useful.

In Room 1 at the front of home is a STB and it is the room where the BH modem and router are located.

Room 2 is a far back bedroom. One of those rooms where running network cable in wall would involve prohibitively costly ripping out of drywall. But... Room 2 has a Samsung STB also

Goal - Wired internet access in Room 2.

Cool solution:
In Room 1 run a cable from the routers LAN jack into the Ethernet port of the Samsung STB in same room.
Go back to Room 2 at rear of home and run a cable out of that room's Samsung STB into a PC Ethernet jack, or Roku etc etc.

Thus leveraging the integration of all BHN services so that high speed data, set top boxes, and MoCA in wall coax work together

THAT would be truly living in a Bright House :-D

You and I think alike and down the road it's likely that this will be a service offered by all providers. If you look at the current generaton of STB gateways being released but not yet adopted into most cable systems this is where they are going. It's gonna take some time though as providers have a HUGE investment in the technology they already own and these new gateways need to be fully integrated and tested before adoption.
Mr Steveo
Tampa Bay FL

Mr Steveo

Agreed.
THe set top boxes would have to be designed so that the ethernet port functioned as a network switch. But the modulation to coax (MoCA) is alread in each set top box from Samsung.

The rest could be handled by provisioning and proper training of installers. Now the trick is for you as a highly regarded BHN employee to elevate the concept to whomever at BHN might have some influence with the set top box makers :-P

----------------------------------------
Another note, if I may be so bold:

There seems to be some confusion both with supervisors in the field and with the folks over at Product Development regarding putting the Motorola SBG6580 Lightning Gateway into Bridge Mode

I have heard everything from, "It can't be done"
To, "You can but only for one router"
To, "The customer only thinks it is bridged, but it's double NAT"
To, "Sure it can be done, it takes about 8 steps."

**In truth there is only one checkbox a person needs to click. Reboot, and it's in bridge mode.**

The problem lies in the fact of Motorola using and odd name for the setting. Plus the help file reference for the setting was mistakenly removed from the Help section of the SBG6580.

I only stumbled on this by searching in the help files of other Motorola Gateways.

I will post a topic on this in the forum.
It's too bad Motorola created such confusion for the field people at BHN, cuz the 6580 is a great device!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Mr Steveo:

Another note, if I may be so bold:

There seems to be some confusion both with supervisors in the field and with the folks over at Product Development regarding putting the Motorola SBG6580 Lightning Gateway into Bridge Mode

I have heard everything from, "It can't be done"
To, "You can but only for one router"
To, "The customer only thinks it is bridged, but it's double NAT"
To, "Sure it can be done, it takes about 8 steps."

**In truth there is only one checkbox a person needs to click. Reboot, and it's in bridge mode.**

The problem lies in the fact of Motorola using and odd name for the setting. Plus the help file reference for the setting was mistakenly removed from the Help section of the SBG6580.

I only stumbled on this by searching in the help files of other Motorola Gateways.

I will post a topic on this in the forum.
It's too bad Motorola created such confusion for the field people at BHN, cuz the 6580 is a great device!

With a stock 6850 not on the BHN network you are correct but that is not the case with BHN provided SB6580's. You must call in for this model. If you have a Ubee it can be customer configured into bridge mode.
Mr Steveo
Tampa Bay FL

Mr Steveo

Feel free to delete my thread in the forum.

If what you are saying is correct, then when I signed up for Lightning last year the BHN tech that brought the Motorola to my house must have given me a retail modem?

Not sure.
I just know what works for mine.

---------------
Though I might suggest if the Rg PssThrough option IS present in BHN Moto Gateways, you might want to call it to the attention of PD

The three times I talked with a tech and PD, they didn't know what to make of that setting.
Which led me to hunting down the white papers of other Moto products.

Again, that option in the SBG6580 exists, but there is no mention of what the setting does in the SBG6580 Help file. SO it is understandable the option went unnoticed.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

2 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

I need to clarify this a bit more and I apologize if I added confusion to this. There are two types of SB that we provide for D3. One will allow you access via the method you provided above and one will require a custom password that you were provided at install....this generally means you will need to call in for it since the majority of people never keep their paperwork.

The Ubee and the SMC require that you call in to have them properly bridged...
Mr Steveo
Tampa Bay FL

Mr Steveo

said by BHNtechXpert:

I need to clarify this a bit more and I apologize if I added confusion to this. There are two types of SB that we provide for D3. One will allow you access via the method you provided above and one will require a custom password that you were provided at install....this generally means you will need to call in for it since the majority of people never keep their paperwork.

The Ubee and the SMC must require that you call in to have them properly bridged...

Roger that. Cheers. and Pre-Happy New Year to all you folks.

I have been a TW/BHN customer for coming up on 15 years. I totally enjoyed the day I dumped Verizon for my phone service. And overall, except for a few bumps here in early December 2011, I have overall been an extremely happy BHN customer.

You guys rock...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Mr Steveo:

said by BHNtechXpert:

The Ubee and the SMC require that you call in to have them properly bridged...

Roger that. Cheers. and Pre-Happy New Year to all you folks.

I have been a TW/BHN customer for coming up on 15 years. I totally enjoyed the day I dumped Verizon for my phone service. And overall, except for a few bumps here in early December 2011, I have overall been an extremely happy BHN customer.

You guys rock...

Thank you and sorry for the confusion....
ispalten
join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

ispalten to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
If there is ONE thing that I think is badly needed, it is some utilities/help when a DVR box goes bad. We've got one, barely a few weeks in use, and it is now starting to make 'noises' randomly. Of course it is in our bedroom. Sounds like hard disk accesses, but it is almost too loud and is noticeable. My wife doesn't want to go through the programming again... how long will this bother us before she gives in and exchanges the unit? Wouldn't be a problem if she could just be able to move the settings she entered.

It is a ROYAL PAIN to exchange one of these boxes. Not only is ALL recordings not viewed lost, but all the settings of what to record when.

So what I'd like is a way to save and restore the programming of recordings for the box.

I can understand and forgo the recorded programs not be transferable, probably copyright stuff and other legal reasons, but why not the recording instructions? Maybe by a tech to a USB Flash drive with the s/w having commands to save/restore? After all, modems have this capability, why not the DVR's? Some simple s/w coding and a magic keypad combination or special sequence of numbers to enter would do it?

Irv S.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

All you folks waiting for HBO Go and Max Go today is your day

We’re pleased to announce that both HBO Go and MAX Go services are available to Bright House Networks customers in all markets who have HBO and Cinemax effective today. You must first have a Bright House Networks My services account in order to take advantage of these great FREE services.

You must be subscribed to HBO and Cinemax to view HBO Go and MAX Go content. You will also need your My Services Username and Password to access the applications. The applications can be accessed through the following:

PC or Laptop

• To access from a computer, you can go directly to the URL:
o HBO GO® - www.hbogo.com
o MAX GO® – www.maxgo.com
Mobile Device (Internet, iPad, iPhone, Android)
• To access HBO GO® or Max GO® from a mobile device, you must download the HBO GO or MAX GO Mobile apps from the Apple iTunes App Store or the Android Market.

Joann
@rr.com

Joann to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert

Re: If you could make a change...(Tampabay, FL)

Come up with a way cable subscribers could choose packages to put together their cable service. Nobody in my home watches sports, shopping or music channels for instance. So those are a waste of my subscription dollars.

Would like to see PBS stations from other markets. (Love the British programming but some markets get programs that we don't. For instance New York City gets a show called "Inspector Lewis", but we only get a few episodes here and there of the same show.)