uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3
reply to dabhome

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

said by dabhome:

said by motorola870:

hold on a second did you upgrade to whole house DVR? If so iGuide would not be on your settop it is running Navigator and the old boxes still run iGuide you just have to get used to Navigator as the new boxes for multiroom do not use iGuide and there is no such thing as the old iGuide it is still on the system.

Well I did not upgrade to Whole House DVR, but they gave me a DCX 3510 anyways. The installer said that was all they were giving out now (Livonia Brighthouse). I called it iGuide because that is what everybody in our cable office calls it. I just found out today that it is actually Navigator while looking around the web.

Bottom line, I have Navigator but I don't have whole house DVR. So my comments are for Navigator.

David Brown

well they are ordering only DCX3510s now but the iGuide boxes are still on the system.

dabhome

join:2012-10-28
Livonia, MI

As I said, my comments are for the software running on my box on Bright House Networks. I didn't get a choice of Navigator or iGuide. I got what they gave me.

Any feedback on my comments? Do you disagree with my statements or recommendations?

An additional comment. Bright House made a big deal about the look back feature. However, the Bright House website says it is not available in Livonia. My searching the networks showed it available on A&E, but I have never gotten it to actually work.

To me this is shoddy and deceptive advertising.

David

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by dabhome:

As I said, my comments are for the software running on my box on Bright House Networks. I didn't get a choice of Navigator or iGuide. I got what they gave me.

Any feedback on my comments? Do you disagree with my statements or recommendations?

An additional comment. Bright House made a big deal about the look back feature. However, the Bright House website says it is not available in Livonia. My searching the networks showed it available on A&E, but I have never gotten it to actually work.

To me this is shoddy and deceptive advertising.

David

I try to avoid Navigator like the plague due to what has happened here with how software updates were handled with the ODN 5.2 black guide upgrade. Time Warner Cable added startover/lookback to the iGuide boxes in North Texas here in July so all of our boxes support startover/lookback and caller id on tv. Startover and lookback with iGuide could use some tweaks such as the time being added to the info bar when you press info in a show that you started over and bookmarks for shows you started over.

dabhome

Livonia, MI

said by motorola870:

I try to avoid Navigator like the plague due to what has happened here with how software updates were handled with the ODN 5.2 black guide upgrade. Time Warner Cable added startover/lookback to the iGuide boxes in North Texas here in July so all of our boxes support startover/lookback and caller id on tv. Startover and lookback with iGuide could use some tweaks such as the time being added to the info bar when you press info in a show that you started over and bookmarks for shows you started over.

I have seen a lot of comments about the black guide upgrade. Interestingly, my Navigator guide is white on grey (not black). I find it easy to read. In fact, the guide is very nice to use with the category filter option. However, there is no way to change the color like in iGuide.

David

Johnboy58

join:2011-06-20
reply to BHNtechXpert

I would like to see added...

1. A 16x9 GUI for the Cisco 8742hdc (4x3) is an eyesore.

2. Have the ethernet lan on the stb enabled so we can hook up our PS3/Xbox. (ala uverse).

3. 30 second skip

4. Add actors/people in search.

5. Brighthouse app for Pc's like ipad's...so i can watch tv on my laptop in the backyard,garage or in the can.lol

dabhome

Livonia, MI

said by Johnboy58:

I would like to see added...

1. A 16x9 GUI for the Cisco 8742hdc (4x3) is an eyesore.

2. Have the ethernet lan on the stb enabled so we can hook up our PS3/Xbox. (ala uverse).

3. 30 second skip

4. Add actors/people in search.

5. Brighthouse app for Pc's like ipad's...so i can watch tv on my laptop in the backyard,garage or in the can.lol

uVerse provides a wireless router with their modem. In my BH area (livonia) they offered a wireless router for a couple of bucks a month. You might want to check with your area BH.

David

wbrightfl7

join:2004-07-15
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

I would like to see the option to make programming changes online via My Services. Add/Remove channels and packages.

Still hoping for a full screen program guide and add some color back to the guide. They can look at the TIVO, Dish and Direct guides to see what a well thought out guide looks like.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:147

said by wbrightfl7:

I would like to see the option to make programming changes online via My Services. Add/Remove channels and packages.

A tall order to fill...just from the package/promotion management perspective. But nonetheless a solid idea...thanks!
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Satch

join:2009-11-25

Most know my number 1. But I now have a top three:

1.) Keyword Search for the keyboard that defaults to "All" instances of anything being typed into the search results.

2.) A DVR with 4-6 tuners, which allows multi-room subscribers that ability to see what programs are on what units.

3.) A Guide Filter that expands from the Time Grid Filter to the Search screens.

Satch

kfsutops
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Tampa, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by wbrightfl7:

A tall order to fill...just from the package/promotion management perspective. But nonetheless a solid idea...thanks!

It's not "that" tall of an order. Verizon does it. Brighthouse doesn't want to do this type of stuff because they are constantly changing "promotions" and don't want to put the work in to update it somewhere on a website.

It can be done. If it is wanted to be done. Brighthouse doesn't do it because they don't want to make it easy for customers to downgrade service.
--
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by kfsutops:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by wbrightfl7:

It's not "that" tall of an order. Verizon does it. Brighthouse doesn't want to do this type of stuff because they are constantly changing "promotions" and don't want to put the work in to update it somewhere on a website.

It can be done. If it is wanted to be done. Brighthouse doesn't do it because they don't want to make it easy for customers to downgrade service.

Not correct...but if it makes you feel better thinking that you are certainly entitled to do so.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

wbrightfl7

Orlando, FL
reply to kfsutops

Dish Network also has programming changes available online. You can quickly and easily add and remove channels and packages. The only exception is if you are in a special promo package and want to end early. They want you to call in for that.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Guys...

You have several options already to making programming changes...

1) Call in
2) Chat Online
3) Tweet
4) Contact me and I will have someone call you

I think we do a pretty good job of being flexible from this perspective...what you are asking for is incredibly complex to get right and because of the way promotions work discussing the options with you BEFORE you make a change you (and we) can't undo is just better all the way around.
--

wbrightfl7

Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

2 edits

We appreciate your thoughts on this BHNtechXpert. This is the topic asking for new features so those of us which had the feature to add/remove programming online from our last provider simply would like the same feature here. I for one prefer the online option only to avoid the rep on the phone trying to offer me other channels and packages I don't care to add. I understand their job to up sell but I personally like to avoid the sales pitch. This is my opinion only.

Bright House certainly has great customer service, tech support, high quality HD channels, good On Demand options and fair prices, but does fall behind on features likes online programming changes and a well developed DVR program guide. Once my promotional rate is over I will be going back to Dish Network for my movies and specialty programming, just to take advantage of their great program guide. I will keep BH for the standard channels and On Demand options and pray that BH does roll out a better program guide down the road.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by wbrightfl7:

Bright House certainly has great customer service, tech support, high quality HD channels, good On Demand options and fair prices, but does fall behind on features likes online programming changes and a well developed DVR program guide. Once my promotional rate is over I will be going back to Dish Network for my movies and specialty programming, just to take advantage of their great program guide. I will keep BH for the standard channels and On Demand options and pray that BH does roll out a better program guide down the road.

Interesting feedback...

Exactly what is so good about that guide and I'm asking honestly as a BHN AND Dish customer (yes I have both because our family vacation home has no cable options) and to be honest with you I hate Dish's guide...I mean just absolutely hate it and not because I work for BHN. So I'm interested to see what exactly you think is so wonderful about it.
--

wbrightfl7

Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

You can view more channel listings on the same screen and for 3 hours out with the Dish guide on my vip625 dvr. The TIVO guide is even better with a nice combination of colors, font and closer to full screen so you can view more channels at once and 3 hours on the screen. The BH guide would be better if they elimated all the blank wasted space and showed more channels and 3 hours at a time on the screen. The new black and grey look is harder to read than the older guide.

Nightowl280

@bhn.net

Al-a-carte all channels within a package tiers . Mirror hd the channels like verizion does . Improve the upload speeds on the internet . No real reason not to have 40/40 instead of a 40/5 internet connect . Improve your call centers hold times below 5 mins . I had problems with my switch to BH from verizion and i spent close to 2 hours on hold total to get my stuff fixed .

Better grouping of like channels in the line ups . This is something verizion does really well .

funimation linear channel I would like to see . Since i opted for no dvr service i cant make a comment on it but if the guide doesnt go out two weeks its makes it hard to program dvr for shows .

HDOrlando

join:2011-11-30
kudos:1
reply to BHNtechXpert

To add to what nightowl said, I think the SD channels need to be renumbered/regrouped a little.

The HD channels are grouped fine though.

Also, while more Encore/Plex/Starz HD cannot be added until TWC/BHN reaches a new deal with them, it would be nice to check off Sundance HD for the first quarter of 2013. Please pass this along.

Art Deco

join:2011-04-27
reply to BHNtechXpert

Someone's probably asked for this before, but a more robust remote DVR manager would be nice. I'd like the ability to see what I have on the DVR and delete shows from the DVR remotely; right now all I can do is schedule and/or cancel future recordings.

I remember being able do this when I had FIOS a couple of years ago.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Art Deco:

Someone's probably asked for this before, but a more robust remote DVR manager would be nice. I'd like the ability to see what I have on the DVR and delete shows from the DVR remotely; right now all I can do is schedule and/or cancel future recordings.

I remember being able do this when I had FIOS a couple of years ago.

It has been asled been asked before and I know we are always looking for ways to improve this.
--

Frank
is chilling
Premium
join:2000-11-03
somewhere
reply to BHNtechXpert

Considering i'm on my 4th BH DVR.

Please stop using so many refurbished boxes or at least do a better job of refurbishing them .

mbmike29

join:2012-10-27
Pendleton, IN

1 edit
reply to BHNtechXpert

Been said many times, but 16x9 guide...

eSATA not disabled on capable devices. I don't care if it's "officially" supported, but if a device has a port, it shouldn't be disabled.

HDOrlando

join:2011-11-30
kudos:1
reply to BHNtechXpert

Chiller HD apparently has indeed launched and I really would like this channel Gary.

Sundance HD is small potatoes compared to it although it would be great to have both in my HD section.

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Sitting on a couch and not too mobile, I was thinking I'd like to watch something on the DVR, but not in the room where it is. I know if I had and paid for Whole House DVR I could do it with a TV there, but this is what I'd like....

Since my iPad can watch BHN TV and program the DVR, why not an app that will PLAY BACK DVR content? BHN already knows how to access my DVR, so finding it shouldn't be that hard?
--
Irv Spalten

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by ispalten:

Sitting on a couch and not too mobile, I was thinking I'd like to watch something on the DVR, but not in the room where it is. I know if I had and paid for Whole House DVR I could do it with a TV there, but this is what I'd like....

Since my iPad can watch BHN TV and program the DVR, why not an app that will PLAY BACK DVR content? BHN already knows how to access my DVR, so finding it shouldn't be that hard?

Why aren't you mobile Irv... did you hurt yourself?
--

ispalten

join:2005-04-16
Clermont, FL

See IM.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Got it...

LoganRollo

join:2013-01-02
Millbrook, AL
reply to BHNtechXpert

My answer would be to offer 'A La Carte' pricing. Allow me to choose what channels I want to have access to and only charge for those channels. I could eliminate about 70% of the channels in the lineup that I'll never watch and shouldn't have to subscribe to. It should offer more customer satisfaction and potentially greater subscription to pay channels like HBO and to pay-per-view.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

My big request remains the same,

Allowing the keyboard Search system to search by keywords by default (and nothing else.), Make the keyboard "B-Button" search system Google-like where you key in anything, (Title, Person, or Thing) and TWC/BHN finds exactly the programing you want.

This update would make the keyboard experience more meaningful for the customer. Title searches only on the keyboard are too restrictive for three reasons:

1.) Users have to know exactly the program they are seeking.

2.) Title Search is too hard for sports programs, because the current keyboard allows only the ability to search by the name of the sport, not the playing team.

3.) Title Search does not allow for topic searches. In Navigator, the customer cannot search for any shows about "Chocolate", "France", "birds", "Al Pachino." Adding keyword search would allow the customer to search for anything they wanted. Keyword Searches also allows the customer to find a hidden treasure of a program, that by using Title Search, they would have missed.

Keyword search solves the problematic issues illustrated by the above examples.

Happy New Year!

Satch

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

Impement Netflix OpenConnect CDN and Hardware Please

Bright House Networks. Please Implement The Netflix OpenConnect CDN and Open Connect Appliance Hardware Local Storage for the Tampa FL BHN IP Core Network.