share rss forum feed

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139
reply to Guide_Tim

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

said by Guide_Tim:

Wouldn't it be totally awesome if BHN had like an irc chat room. Then we could all hang out in the chat room and talk about services and geek stuff like routers and computers and chat in real time. Just a thought

This is to the both of you. I'm exploring how this might work...we have one on our gaming website btw at »tampa.bhngaming.com/ and I may do something there...thing is to keep it manned 24/7 would suck the life out of me...remember I'm one guy
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House

Let me know if I can help. My computer is always on and my mIRC scripts are always in a chat room. I have been an owner/host in rooms since 2003, and I'm also a Guide in our networks Help Desk lol
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

GeNomer

join:2013-01-21
Indianapolis, IN
reply to BHNtechXpert

I went to that link and my mind is blown. I had no idea BHN did a LAN party. I will so be there this year. That is so awesome!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by GeNomer:

I went to that link and my mind is blown. I had no idea BHN did a LAN party. I will so be there this year. That is so awesome!

Yup....
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by Guide_Tim:

Wouldn't it be totally awesome if BHN had like an irc chat room. Then we could all hang out in the chat room and talk about services and geek stuff like routers and computers and chat in real time. Just a thought

This is to the both of you. I'm exploring how this might work...we have one on our gaming website btw at »tampa.bhngaming.com/ and I may do something there...thing is to keep it manned 24/7 would suck the life out of me...remember I'm one guy

hire me over there, ill help

amaurib

join:2013-02-06
Deland, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

In order

1 -A custom internet package with faster upload speed.(50/40) They could even meter the upload bandwidth and charge extra on those who abuse it...

2 - A la carte Pricing or better tv programming. I hate when I turn on the tv and start looking for something interesting to watch and found nothing out of almost 300 channels.... I always end up on discovery or history channel.... Thats when I remember how much i pay monthly just to watch Discovery/History Channel.

3 - A User Friendly DVR GUI and better search function.

4 - Ability to record a show from non DVR boxes when you have full DVR package.

5 - Same as number one.

Nayan

join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

I just got back from the office with a nice new DVR. The things I wish we had were more storage and the ability to record more than one channel at a time. Either that or convince the networks to not put everything that I like on at the same time .

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

You do have the ability to record more than one channel at a time...

Nayan

Melbourne, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

But I can't record as many as I need . I have 4 things (well, 5 actually) pretty much at the same time on Sunday and while I can record a couple of them later at night it's be nice to record them all at once while I watch boxing...err, I mean hockey.

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
reply to amaurib

said by amaurib:

internet package with faster upload speed.

This.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Nayan

said by Nayan:

But I can't record as many as I need . I have 4 things (well, 5 actually) pretty much at the same time on Sunday and while I can record a couple of them later at night it's be nice to record them all at once while I watch boxing...err, I mean hockey.

LOL...well good things do come to those who are patient sooo who knows what might happen.
--

GeNomer

Indianapolis, IN
reply to Nayan

One of the equipment manufacturers that BHN uses has a new HDDVR with 6 tuners, so fingers crossed that we can get that soon...

JLR

join:2001-01-28
Auburndale, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

BHN advertises Encore on Demand. Is this available? I can't
find it on the guide

HDOrlando

join:2011-11-30

Where?

I think that is delayed until/TWC they strike a new Starz/Ecore deal.

the65gto

join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL
reply to Nayan

The way we resolve "conflicts" is: record 2, look at different times (usually in early morning) record 3&4 and then "on Demand" for #5.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by the65gto:

The way we resolve "conflicts" is: record 2, look at different times (usually in early morning) record 3&4 and then "on Demand" for #5.

Orrrr... hide the remote
--

WebMaka

join:2013-01-19
Niceville, FL
Reviews:
·Jaguar PC
reply to BHNtechXpert

Just had BH business service installed where I work - the top-tier HSI package - and I discovered to my utter AMAZEMENT that Bright House does not allow its business customers to manage BH-supplied Motorola SBG6580 modem/routers. Yes, you have to call in to have any settings changed on the router side. Now I can wholeheartedly agree with not letting customers monkey with the modem side, and we can't anyway since all of that is handled from the head end via DOCSIS commands and SFTP and whatnot. However, if we're paying top $ per month for HSI we had darn well better have management access to our side of the network.

The problem we're having with this is that we moved off a Cox business HSI setup (which was absolutely horrible, BTW - massive latency and stability issues that made it practically useless for servers) so we have our own router, and it's already configured for the machines and security settings we need. We already have the ports we need to have passed through passed through to the appropriate machines, etc.

The second problem is that while it'd take me all of maybe thirty seconds to make the changes I need to make (namely, disabling the WiFi radio and setting the modem to bridge mode so as to disable its router - this is like "check this box, uncheck this other box, reboot modem, done"), the guy I spent half an hour waiting on hold for and another half an hour on the phone with barely understood what I needed, let alone how to do it. (At first he thought I wanted the SSID and PSK for wireless - which, BTW, was not provided during or after installation. So at least I have that.) I think he only managed to disable DHCP, so the modem is passing the WAN-side IP through, but not all ports are being passed through properly or at all so he didn't actually bridge the SBG6580. So, tomorrow I get to spend more time trying to get someone that hopefully knows what they're doing this time to set the 6580 up correctly for bridged/passthrough operation.

Or you could have just given me the stinkin' router user/pass and let me fix my own issue in 30 seconds.

So, what would I suggest? I would suggest getting out of the way when a customer knows what he wants/needs, instead of adding layers of delays and frustrations by making the customer call in for simple config changes if they can manage those themselves. I can understand wanting to limit what customers can do on the residential side, but the moment a commercial/business customer says "I have my own networking equipment" the first thing the TSR should ask is "do you need me to bridge our modem/router so it won't interfere?" And if a customer knows enough to ask for the router u/p so they can set up their required port forwarding, DMZ some particular machine, etc. it's just dumb to force them to call in for that. Don't try to hold my hand when I don't need it - just give me access to the tools I need so I can do my job.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by WebMaka:

Just had BH business service installed where I work - the top-tier HSI package - and I discovered to my utter AMAZEMENT that Bright House does not allow its business customers to manage BH-supplied Motorola SBG6580 modem/routers. Yes, you have to call in to have any settings changed on the router side. Now I can wholeheartedly agree with not letting customers monkey with the modem side, and we can't anyway since all of that is handled from the head end via DOCSIS commands and SFTP and whatnot. However, if we're paying top $ per month for HSI we had darn well better have management access to our side of the network.

The problem we're having with this is that we moved off a Cox business HSI setup (which was absolutely horrible, BTW - massive latency and stability issues that made it practically useless for servers) so we have our own router, and it's already configured for the machines and security settings we need. We already have the ports we need to have passed through passed through to the appropriate machines, etc.

The second problem is that while it'd take me all of maybe thirty seconds to make the changes I need to make (namely, disabling the WiFi radio and setting the modem to bridge mode so as to disable its router - this is like "check this box, uncheck this other box, reboot modem, done"), the guy I spent half an hour waiting on hold for and another half an hour on the phone with barely understood what I needed, let alone how to do it. (At first he thought I wanted the SSID and PSK for wireless - which, BTW, was not provided during or after installation. So at least I have that.) I think he only managed to disable DHCP, so the modem is passing the WAN-side IP through, but not all ports are being passed through properly or at all so he didn't actually bridge the SBG6580. So, tomorrow I get to spend more time trying to get someone that hopefully knows what they're doing this time to set the 6580 up correctly for bridged/passthrough operation.

Or you could have just given me the stinkin' router user/pass and let me fix my own issue in 30 seconds.

So, what would I suggest? I would suggest getting out of the way when a customer knows what he wants/needs, instead of adding layers of delays and frustrations by making the customer call in for simple config changes if they can manage those themselves. I can understand wanting to limit what customers can do on the residential side, but the moment a commercial/business customer says "I have my own networking equipment" the first thing the TSR should ask is "do you need me to bridge our modem/router so it won't interfere?" And if a customer knows enough to ask for the router u/p so they can set up their required port forwarding, DMZ some particular machine, etc. it's just dumb to force them to call in for that. Don't try to hold my hand when I don't need it - just give me access to the tools I need so I can do my job.

This needs to be in our direct forums please so I can work with you one to one there.
--

Artimid

join:2013-02-10
Riverview, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I suppose if I was CEO for a single day.. I would have a LOT to do.
One: I would immediately increase upload speed. I am paying $170 a month (every month it increases mystically... ). I am getting 5 megs upload. In what world should that make sense? Note, I hate Verizon.. so I would stick with BH even if they offered 2 megs, but that isn't the point.

Two: I would institute a policy stating that since hardware is leased and paid for, new hardware would be given at regular intervals. For example, "Oh, see you have been a customer for 3 years... might need a new remote sometime soon, how about we mail you one? Just throw that old one out or something." - I have paid hundreds in fees for boxes and stuff, and only when something goes wrong do I find that I have been using something several models back.

Three: I would institute talks with various foreign channels, such as JapanTV, to lower the price. They are getting their product out to HUGE numbers if it is affordable, $25 a month isn't worth it. I know this is out of BH's control, but that is why we would talk.

Last: I would stop outsourcing. I have had beyond normal levels of frustration with the outsourced people. If they aren't outsourced, then training needs to be started immediately to brief CSR on even the most basic steps of troubleshooting. When someone calls and states, "I have power cycled, rebooted, I see this problem with my IP address on the router home page for the network." They should not ask "Did you restart the router?" Or spend 20 minutes asking you for the same set of numbers off the back of the router. Along this line, I would also retrain the Live Chat people. Great that they are there, but when they waste large amounts of time and end with, "Oh yeah, I couldn't help with that to begin with." it doesn't make things better.

Beyond that, no real changes. I do wish we had more jobs in Tampa and the call centers. And maybe expand a bit to cover more of Florida, as BH is the best cable company in the state, by far.

Dinpinellas

join:2012-03-24
Dunedin, FL

1 recommendation

reply to BHNtechXpert

I would upgrade the user interface on the dvrs. That's my biggest gripe. Something smarter, more user friendly and easier to read. And since I would be CEO bigger hard drives. ........and clone Gary (BHNtechXpert).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Dinpinellas:

And since I would be CEO bigger hard drives. ........and clone Gary (BHNtechXpert).

Buddy I don't know if the world is ready for two of me....that might be too much Gary
--

wbrightfl7

join:2004-07-15
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

Hi BHNtechXpert.

Most of us have been on the programming guide rolled out in September for about 5 months now. Has any of our feedback about it been helpful in getting BH to work to improve it? From the comments posted here and on other forums it seems a good percentage of customers don't care for it and have requested changes, but we haven't heard or seen anything come of it so far. Can we look forward to a new and improved guide in the near future or are we pretty much stuck with this one for a while?

Thanks,
Wesley

MikeBtp

join:2012-10-30
Lake Mary, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

I imagine this has already been suggested before but I would like to see the DVR recordings list to be nested/tree-like, where I see one listing for, say, Seinfeld, click on it then that tree expands to show all Seinfeld listings (see DirecTV). Scrolling endlessly through multiple recordings of single shows is tiring.

Also, a minor enhancement, in Whole House DVR list with multiple WH DVRs I'd like to be able to tell which DVR recorded a program in the list.

And another DirecTV feature I liked was after watching a recorded program from the DVR list, it would return me to the list and not back to live broadcast. An option for this would be good.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to wbrightfl7

said by wbrightfl7:

Hi BHNtechXpert.

Most of us have been on the programming guide rolled out in September for about 5 months now. Has any of our feedback about it been helpful in getting BH to work to improve it? From the comments posted here and on other forums it seems a good percentage of customers don't care for it and have requested changes, but we haven't heard or seen anything come of it so far. Can we look forward to a new and improved guide in the near future or are we pretty much stuck with this one for a while?

Thanks,
Wesley

Wesley,

Thanks for you input and yes suggestions here are read and considered all the time. Improvements to the guide and user interface are a never ending process. As to when the next update will roll out I don't have that information quite yet. I will update as needed.
--

opp

@mindspring.com
reply to MikeBtp

said by MikeBtp:

I imagine this has already been suggested before but I would like to see the DVR recordings list to be nested/tree-like, where I see one listing for, say, Seinfeld, click on it then that tree expands to show all Seinfeld listings (see DirecTV). Scrolling endlessly through multiple recordings of single shows is tiring.

Agreed tivo lets you choose if you want grouped or individual.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to Nayan

said by Nayan:

Then I'd never get any housework done!

That's not a bad thing is it?

jcarerra

join:2007-06-13
Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Add TheBlaze channel

Add TheBlaze channel in central FL please.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by jcarerra:

Add TheBlaze channel in central FL please.

Thank you...several have requested it.

Nayan

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

Time Warner just launched a TV app for Roku. I would love a BH app for Roku! Just suggesting .

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by Nayan:

Time Warner just launched a TV app for Roku. I would love a BH app for Roku! Just suggesting .

Suggestion well taken