neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Re: If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

To jump away from the TV side of BHN... I would like to see the capability to block phone #'s. Preferably via the Easy Gadget would be nice, but even if I have to log in to the website and do it.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

^^ I am with you on that one! Thats the reason I dont have home phone service. 99% junk calls coming in all the time.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Would be nice to allow the customer to use their own equipment for the phone service. Then the ISP/provider could off-load voice mail, call blocking, caller id blocking, and other tasks onto the end user equipment.

BHN could recommend what equipment to use, or you could lease the equipment from BHN, or just use a regular MTA if you don't want the option to control everything yourself.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Here is another one that I'm sure many would appreciate: usage meters.

Now that the only TWC/BHN are left uncapped, I'm sure many would love to be able to see exactly how much data they're using each month. That way people would be able to make a decission, quickly, if BHN comes down and says "y0... we h3rd 200GB/month was sexy!"
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to neonhomer

to neonhomer
I think a big reason they dont like customer owned equipment is because its never geared directly for this paticular network. Same crap with deal with on tivo's and other cable card devices.. Issue after issue because its a product not designed to work with our specific system

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

That's why I said they could recommend a certain device that BHN feels suits their needs best.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to weaseled386

Premium Member

to weaseled386
said by weaseled386:

Here is another one that I'm sure many would appreciate: usage meters.

Now that the only TWC/BHN are left uncapped, I'm sure many would love to be able to see exactly how much data they're using each month. That way people would be able to make a decission, quickly, if BHN comes down and says "y0... we h3rd 200GB/month was sexy!"

Hey Weasle...

I'm kinda tossed on this idea and I'll tell you why. Normally when you see usage meters caps soon follow (based on past experience with other providers). At this point I think this might be bad idea...it might spook a lot of people. The concept otherwise is great because it gives everyone an idea of their usage on a monthly basis.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to neonhomer

Premium Member

to neonhomer
said by neonhomer:

Would be nice to allow the customer to use their own equipment for the phone service. Then the ISP/provider could off-load voice mail, call blocking, caller id blocking, and other tasks onto the end user equipment.

BHN could recommend what equipment to use, or you could lease the equipment from BHN, or just use a regular MTA if you don't want the option to control everything yourself.

In a perfect world your idea would be fantastic. I would love to use my own IP phone BUT there is a huge problem associated with customer owned equiopment. When something goes wrong and they need support is it a service issue or a customer owned equipment issue and who's gonna support it. This becomes a real pain in the rumpuss. If BHN doesn't support the equipment then the customer blames BHN. If they do support the customer owned equipment they go broke trying to keep the customer in dialtone. If it were business class I see no issues there with this concept but not for residential.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Then for that, you have the customer sign a waiver stating that they are using their own equipment, that BHN cannot help them with the said equipment.

Those who would rather use their own equipment I would think would be tech savvy enough to work out their own problems w/o BHN support. Maybe a call in to make sure there are no network issues or to make sure they have the right info.

Simply put - "You want to use your own equipment? Fine. Go ahead. Sign this waiver saying that we will not offer any support except to give you network status and setup data (like IP address, etc etc). If you want full support, you will have to use BHN supplied equipment."
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by neonhomer:

Then for that, you have the customer sign a waiver stating that they are using their own equipment, that BHN cannot help them with the said equipment.

Those who would rather use their own equipment I would think would be tech savvy enough to work out their own problems w/o BHN support. Maybe a call in to make sure there are no network issues or to make sure they have the right info.

Simply put - "You want to use your own equipment? Fine. Go ahead. Sign this waiver saying that we will not offer any support except to give you network status and setup data (like IP address, etc etc). If you want full support, you will have to use BHN supplied equipment."

Neo I wish it was just that easy. But who knows your idea may strike a cord with someone.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Apologies if any of these have been previously stated. Regrettably I did not have time to read all replies.

1. Provide something equivalent to Roadrunner Basic (see relevant section »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ro ··· d_Online ) at a fair price and perhaps at 3.0 mbps / 500 Kbps. Ideal price: $29.95 (RR Lite should be $15 - $20 in 2011 considering the speeds)

Many people don't need 10 Mbps but need more than 768 Kbps. There should be something in between the standard and the lite.

2. Standalone modems should be available as an option to all customers. Ideally Customer owned equipment should also be an option. It's about freedom and security. Not to mention that it makes troubleshooting far easier. At least make sure to always offer the option. You don't need to make it the default.

3. Solve whatever problems exist which seem to encourage some techs (both field and CSRs) to do a rush job or "play the blame game". Quality over Quantity. IMO a tech who does three installs perfectly is much better than one who does 10 sloppy installs in the same time which generate problems down the road. Do whatever it takes to get the issue fixed, preferably the first time and verify that it is fixed as much as reasonably possible before leaving. Reward the techs who are bringing quality to the table. Customers want it done right the first time.

Thanks for reading.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

for 1, considering what the rest of the country pays for internet, I think our pricing is very low and I very highly doubt there going to drop it.

for 2, customer owned equipment is 1000x's more difficult to troubleshoot then our own. All of our equipment polls regularly for us to see everything. If your complaining of macroblocking, you call in and we can see "o look, his signal is terrible". On the tech end it helps cut troubleshooting time by atleast 50-75% being able to pull all of the equipment remotely.. Also, educating everyone on all of the different equipment we have now is hard enough, I cant imagine trying to learn all of the specs and workings of other products too..

3. I agree with but unfortunatly, there has to be a balance where they can still turn a proffit.
On the service end, we are rewarded by low repeat percentages. The lower the repeats, the better the reward.

gr4yskull
@209.150.65.x

gr4yskull to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
nationwide fiber. ftw.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

^ dont we all wish

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Some of these have been mention but
1) Better STBs or maybe a few selection of STBs to choose from base on your needs(just my opinion but those SA STBs aren't the best, I would love it if BH had those Moxi STBs)
2) Have the HD channels match the SD channels so theyre easier to find and have the option to only show the HD channels. I was almost in awe when I was at a friends house who has DTV and they could do this.
3) With Whole home DVR, being able to pause live tv and schedule recordings on any STB in the home (Something like Uverse has)
4) Better management with remote DVR, specifically having an app for your smartphone to control your DVR.
5) One login to manage your account online. Having one sign in to see your services and a separate login to pay your bill is dated.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

I agree with the whdvr beeing able to pause in all of the rooms. I didnt know uverse was able to do that, it was my understanding that nobody could yet.

Diablo
join:2007-09-17
Kissimmee, FL

Diablo

good idea

an android app for the dvr

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim

said by tim tim tim:

I agree with the whdvr beeing able to pause in all of the rooms. I didnt know uverse was able to do that, it was my understanding that nobody could yet.

My fault, you cant pause live TV on all STBs on Uverse either. My mistake
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Thats good to hear! although I doubt there going to be too much competition over there in the central Florida region with there crappy service, data caps and so forth.

The only way to have all of the tv's be able to pause and rewind would be if all of the streams came through the single dvr (which isn't what happens now). It would have to have like 5-6 tuners if you wanted to be able to watch/record on multiple sets. theoretically, its possible though. The issue I was thinking about is having to rewire houses to all end at the single dvr but with the way the WHDVR's work, that wouldn't be necessary. I guess its just a matter of getting a box that has enough tuners
evoxllx
join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

evoxllx to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I wish BHN would stop spamming me with phone calls about nothing.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by evoxllx:

I wish BHN would stop spamming me with phone calls about nothing.

Call your local office and have them place a do not call flag on your account and the calls will go away. Takes several days after the flag is set but it will stop the calls.
evoxllx
join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

evoxllx

Does this flag expire or something? I've had to do this like 5 or 6 times over the past several years.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

No it's not supposed. What I would do in this case if it is something that has come back is call your local office and ask to speak to a supervisor and make sure the DNC flag is actually set to begin with. When you say spamming you with phone calls explain. Once a day, Once a week, Once a month. What do you consider to be "phone spam".

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

Since signing back up they've called no less than once a day. I was finally able to answer yesterday.

The person asks if I'd like to have a DVR installed... funny, since I have a WHDVR!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by weaseled386:

Since signing back up they've called no less than once a day. I was finally able to answer yesterday.

The person asks if I'd like to have a DVR installed... funny, since I have a WHDVR!

Ok do me a favor and call like I said in my previous post. If you have problems let me know.
Expand your moderator at work

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

cabana to BHNtechXpert

Mod

to BHNtechXpert

(topic move) If you could add a product, feature or make a chang

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 4 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »If you could add a product, feature or make a change...

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert

Back OT:

Something I would like to see is the capability to use your own cable STB.

However, it would have to fall in line with a few conditions:

1> Has to be of a make/model supported/used currently by BHN - This makes "support" easier. While BHN wouldn't be expected to replace a customer owned STB, they could still answer questions about it.

2> Has to be able to accept BHN's firmware/software. - This is obvious. So BHN can upload their firmware for their network programming.

I know there's more, but I need to run....