Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

1 edit

Buddel

Premium Member

[Need Info] SUMO update checker - can it be trusted?

I read sometime in the past that this update checker was safe to use as long as you download the "alternate version", which is supposed to be spyware-free. Is this statement true or would you rather not use it? What's your opinion on this software?

Edit: Here's the link to this program: »www.kcsoftwares.com/inde ··· php?sumo

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels

Premium Member

I'v never used Sumo so I cant say.
However I always use this
»www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/
works good and its clean

Buddel
Premium Member
EU

Buddel

Premium Member

Thanks for your reply, bobbagels. I also use Filehippo's update checker, and I do like it. Problem is that it only detects few programs on my computer, whereas Sumo seems to detect almost all programs that are installed on my computer.

BTW, when it comes to reliability, Filehippo's update checker is definitely superior to the Sumo update checker. However, it doesn't hurt to use them both, does it?

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels

Premium Member

I guess not, LOL.
As long as Sumo is accurate and clean I see no reason why someone couldnt use both.
If you use it please let me know how it is.

Buddel
Premium Member
EU

Buddel

Premium Member

I use both. Sumo usually finds more programs that need to be updated than Filehippo's update checker. However, I frequently get the impression that Filehippo is more reliable than Sumo. It does happen from time to time that Sumo tells that an update is available for one of my programs, even though I already use the latest version of that program. I've never had such "false positives" with Filehippo's update checker.

Snoopy2
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL

Snoopy2 to Buddel

Premium Member

to Buddel
Tried to download, but NOD32 blocked and quarantined as virus. I'll leave this one alone.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Buddel

Premium Member

to Buddel
A few comments here »SUMO 18.0.2010.0 released

Buddel
Premium Member
EU

1 recommendation

Buddel to Snoopy2

Premium Member

to Snoopy2
According to VirusTotal, this file is perfectly clean:
quote:
File name: Sumo_Lite_2.13.0.108.exe
Submission date: 2011-02-20 17:39:38 (UTC)
Current status: finished
Result: 0/ 43 (0.0%)
Neither NOD32 nor any other security software found anything suspicious. The result might be different, however, if you upload the "full" version of this program, i.e. a version that is bundled with "Relevant Knowledge" (RK). I haven't tested it yet. More info on RK can be found here: »www.kcsoftwares.com/?rk This RK stuff might be the reason why NOD32 blocked it but, as I said, I haven't uploaded this version to VirusTotal yet.
Buddel

Buddel

Premium Member

OK, I uploaded the full version to VirusTotal two minutes ago. The result is different this time:
quote:
File name: sumo_full version_2.13.0.108.exe
Submission date: 2011-02-20 17:54:10 (UTC)
Current status: finished
Result: 3/ 43 (7.0%)
This is what three out of 43 programs found:

Emsisoft - 5.1.0.2 - 2011.02.20 - Gen.AdWare.Heur!IK
Ikarus - T3.1.1.97.0 - 2011.02.20 - Gen.AdWare.Heur
NOD32 - 5891 - 2011.02.20 - Win32/Adware.MarketScore.A

My personal conclusion: If you want to use Sumo, make sure to download the non-RK version and disable all the third-party crap when you install it.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

3 recommendations

jmorlan to Buddel

MVM

to Buddel
I commented on this program before:

»Re: SUMO 18.0.2010.0 released

I'll stand by that review but would update the information on versions. There are no less than five different versions of SUMO available on their download page.

sumo.exe
sumo.7z
sumo.zip
sumo_nork.exe
sumo_lite.exe

The one to get is the last one, sumo_lite.exe. Note that it is not obvious where to download it. It's on a line of small print under the "Sponsored FREE software" section. The line reads:

Free of all sponsors download links : SUMo, VideoInspector, KFK, Ignition, IDPhotoStudio, KCleaner, Vampix

That's where SUMo light can be downloaded.

SUMo does not offer direct downloads of updates like FileHippo but instead uses other sites to search for the downloads. Searching those sites is not the best way to look for downloads. However SUMo does give the URL of the author's site also. That's always the best choice for getting updates. Or check the internal updater that may be included in your software.

If you install other software from RK, it would not surprise me if they feed ads to you based on the software they know you are using. Some people may consider this to be a privacy issue. But if you stick with sumo_lite, I think the program is useful and I have no issues with it. I routinely report beta versions to Kyle, the author and usually get replies and fixes back quickly. That kind of responsiveness in a software publisher always gets high marks from me.

Buddel
Premium Member
EU

1 recommendation

Buddel

Premium Member

Thank you very much for your informative post, jmorlan See Profile. Much appreciated.

Snoopy2
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Mobile, AL

1 recommendation

Snoopy2 to Buddel

Premium Member

to Buddel
Thanks to jmorlan's comment, went back and dl'd the lite version. Ran it through NOD32, Prevx3, and HitmanPro. NADA! Installed and looks good. Thanks jmorlan!