uniqs
share rss forum feed

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream

How Long Until The Pipes Freeze?

Single-level 3 bedroom ranch built 1996 on a 4-foot crawl 1512 sq ft. Normal interior temp maintained at 67-70F. Outside high temp 32F with overnight temp falling to 25F. If/when a power failure occurs, approx how long will it take for the pipes to freeze/burst?

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

A very long time. Maybe never. Open all cabinet doors to keep the pipes as warm as possible.

Let just a dripping or trickle of water run on exterior faucets.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to AZinOH

We lost our power for 94 hours a couple weeks ago - outside temp below 20 degrees - as far as we could tell the house never went below 41 degrees. All faucets on the second day had a trickle of water - no pipes froze.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Gimmered
Premium
join:2005-02-26
Mccook, NE
reply to AZinOH

At 25° likely never. 0°-10° might be a problem after a period of time.

AZinOH

Swanton, OH
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

A very long time. Maybe never. Open all cabinet doors to keep the pipes as warm as possible.

Let just a dripping or trickle of water run on exterior faucets.

That would be a problem, as we have a well. After the pressure drops in the tank...no trickle. Thanks for the info.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Ok - you are on a well (kinda important info)...?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5
reply to AZinOH

Blocking off the foundation vents will help keep the temp up in the crawl space.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to AZinOH

My crawlspace never gets below freezing - so essentially never.

However - my water heater is outside the skin of the house - the water lines to and from will freeze eventually if its cold enough long enough if the heat tapes don't have power. But with PEX pipes - I'm not too worried about them bursting.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Charter
·surpasshosting
reply to AZinOH

Go get a Generator. Not some P.O.S. Chinese junk. Get a good reliable name-brand generator that will run your well, furnace, and refrigerator.

If I had a well, I would probably either look into having a standby generator installed, or a manual transfer switch installed for a portable genset.
--
I just might be the most "licensed" S.O.B. you know.

AZinOH

Swanton, OH
reply to AZinOH

Power failed 19 hours after OP and was off for 31 hours. Outside temp fell as low as 16F. Did open cabinet doors and blocked foundation vents as advised. Interior house temp never fell below 46F. No problems.